Which Die-Cut Machine?

FairyAuntMother

Mouseketeer
Hey Everyone!

I'm seriously considering investing in one of the die-cut machines that are available.

My problem is there are so many I have no idea which one to choose. :confused3

Any suggestions? Opinons? Anything you've purchased that you didn't like?

This is a big investment for me so I'd like to get some opinions from the experts here before I take the plunge! :teeth:

I have both a Quickuts, and a Sizzix. I have to say I use my Sizzix all the time, my Quickutz rarely, but I do use it. I like the size of the sizzix dies better, and their letters for titles. I like the details I can get with the quickutz, like my beachball, and cute santa head. The letters are really small, great for journal box titles. So, for me, it is what project I'm working on. I got my sizzix with a coupon from Mike's, and my quickuts from QVC with a gift cert, so my $$ cost was low. Now I just buy dies with my 40% coupon, or when they are on sale, like ACMoore had a week or so ago.

I do most of my scrappin at home, so portability isn't a big thing for me.

My mom gave me a sizzix and the sidekick and I like them both.. The sizzix the best.. I buy my dies when they go on sale for 40% off... Saves money and gives me more reason to go back at the next sale!!

I scrap at home too so portability isn't an issue for me.. I have to scrap between kids' events and haven't been able to find anyone in my town that enjoys scrapbooking like I do...

I agonized over this decision and recently bought my 1st die cut machine. I went with the Ellison Big Shot. It costs a little more, but could do a lot more. Can cut a lot of different mediums. I can cut 6 Sizzlits at once.

I love it!

I have a Sizzix and the Sidekick and I use them both regularly! I love my sidekick because with the 13" pads, I can cut so many letters at once! I use them almost everyday between scrapbooking and the kids projects! :)

I am really considering the Big Shot now because I love the cute little bags you can make with it!! :) Some of those dies are really cool!

I am in the process of saving for a Wishblade. I think even though the initial cost is there I won't really have to purchase much more after that as I plan on cutting the fonts that I have on my computer, which are a ton. I really only want a cutting machine for the fonts and a few shapes which can be downloaded and then cut. does anyone think I may be wrong about this? I think the cost of the dies and the fact that I then have to store them is what really deters me from a Sizzix type machine.

I have a wizard which you can see at spellbinders.us. You can use Sizzix, sisslets, quikutz, and accucut dies with it, and you can use any brass stencil to emboss with it. Their own dies are designed so that you first cut out the shape and then emboss it and they have some really nice designs. Their website also has a lot of what they call "sandwich recipes" for different techniques you can do, I intend to try some, but haven't gotten arond to it yet. I haven't set eyelets with it, but you can do that too. It took me a long time to pick a die cut machine too. I found out a lot more about the wishblade after I got the wizard and would like to get that eventually as you can use your computer fonts and resize them, but I am very happy with the wizard.

I have a relatively new Sidekick and I love it. What I like best is being able to use the long pads to cut borders.

I had a QK and a Wizard but sold both of them and bought a Wishblade... I LOVE LOVE LOVE that machine. I only wish that I could design things better but for now I can do titles.

The Wishblade looks great, except for the price. :crazy:

That's WAY over my planned budget for this purchase. :rotfl: Eliminating the Wishblade, which die cut system would you invest in?

Does anyone know if there is a website out there that compares them all side by side? That's probably what I need to make a final decision. :confused3

FairyAuntMother said:
The Wishblade looks great, except for the price. :crazy:

That's WAY over my planned budget for this purchase. :rotfl: Eliminating the Wishblade, which die cut system would you invest in?

Does anyone know if there is a website out there that compares them all side by side? That's probably what I need to make a final decision. :confused3

I guess it depends on what exactly you want to do with it... cut alphabets? shapes? how large? etc? I don't know of a website that compares but I can help because I have either used or purchased them all. It will also somewhat depend on what you have near you... it you have a Mikes or Joanns they sell Ellison stuff so you can take advantage of the coupons.

For me it made total sense for the Wishblade because I was purchasing so many alphabets for my QK. I ended up selling most of what I had on ebay and making 3x the cost of the Wishblade.

Another Wishblade owner here. ::yes::

I have a sizzix, along with several font sets and shape dies, that I don't use anymore. And I briefly owned a QK that I purchased from QVC but quickly returned.

Unless you plan to cut stuff that's thicker than cardstock I can't see why anyone would want to own something other than a Wishblade - or similar cutting system. The cost of dies adds up so quickly, especially if you want more than one font to use. Even with sales and coupons it's a big investment. The only advantage I see is being able to spead the investment cost out over time by purchasing only a few dies at a time.

I don't have a spreadsheet or anything comparing costs, but here's a bit of research I just did to give you an idea of Wishblade vs. Sizzix vs. Quickutz.

Wishblade - $450 (includes machine, 1 shape set, and 2 font sets - each set contains 2 alphabets one with an outline so you're getting 4 fonts and 2 outlines right off the bat)
truetype fonts on your computer - FREE
multiple sizes for shapes/fonts - FREE
create your own images - FREE
use clipart images - FREE

Sizzix machine - $70
Sizzix sidekick - $50
font sets - $170 - $250
number/punctuation sets - $70 - $85
Sizzlit alphabet sets - $150
shape dies - $10 - $15
(original font uppercase, lowercase (if available), and number sets all sold separately)

Quickutz tool - $70
alphabets - $130 - $170
mini alphabets - $70
shapes - $7 - $13
(many fonts the uppercase, lowercase, shadow, number sets sold separately)

Many thanks for that price compare! I guess I was just looking at the initial investment, not the add on costs of fonts and shapes, etc.

I'll look into the Wishblade some more. Maybe I'll put off buying for a bit so I can save enough to purchase the Wishblade right from the start.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and suggestions! :sunny:

If you're a QVC watcher, they're showing another option right now - today is Scrapbook Fair - the Cricut for $260 and includes a couple of fonts/shapes cartridges. http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=/scripts/detail.dll?frames=y!tpl=onair!item=onair&dd=/hp/hp_dd.html&cm_re=HP-_-TOOLBOX-_-ITEMONAIR&cm_scid=IOA&qic

Item Number F01000
Cricut Electronic Die-Cut Machine
Retail Value $422.00
QVC Price $286.00
Introductory Price $259.86
Shipping and Handling $11.22
Advance orders ship 6/27/06.

Create die-cuts of shapes, letters, and phrases without a computer using this Cricut machine. Simply install one of the included cartridges and keypad overlays, select your desired image, and cut! Adjust the images from 1"H to 5-1/2"H depending on the project for a quick and convenient embellishment that's sure to create stunning pages.

Measures approximately 15-1/2"L x 7"H x 7"W.
  • cricut machine
  • blade
  • cutting mat
  • George cartridge with keypad overlay and handbook
  • Doodletype cartridge with keypad overlay and handbook
  • plastic case with carry handle
  • user's manual
  • quick-start instruction guide
http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/f/00/f01000.002?$moreviewmain$

RRBB said:
Sizzix machine - $70
Sizzix sidekick - $50
font sets - $170 - $250
number/punctuation sets - $70 - $85
Sizzlit alphabet sets - $150
shape dies - $10 - $15
(original font uppercase, lowercase (if available), and number sets all sold separately)

I'm a Wishblade owner wannabe...but to be fair in comparing costs for the OP, you can get the sizzix items at Michaels or AC Moore for 40% off with a coupon. I got my sidekick for $22 and 2 different sizzlet alpha sets for about $80 each. (But if you can, I'd still save for the Wishblade!)

SalandJeff said:
I'm a Wishblade owner wannabe...but to be fair in comparing costs for the OP, you can get the sizzix items at Michaels or AC Moore for 40% off with a coupon. I got my sidekick for $22 and 2 different sizzlet alpha sets for about $80 each. (But if you can, I'd still save for the Wishblade!)
Yes, I understand that coupons can be used for Sizzix. However, not everyone has this option so I put the retail price so those interested can figure out how much they'd really pay if using coupons or sale. Even still, the cost of all the dies adds up quickly if you want variety.

As you pointed out, using your coupons you spent $180+ for your sidekick and 2 alpha sets - more than a third of the cost for a Wishblade that comes with 4 alphabet fonts, 2 alphabet outlines, and one shape set. I guess you just proved my point that in the long run the cost of a Wishblade really isn't that bad. You just have to lay out the money up front rather than over time.

I guess you can see I'm a firm believer in Wishblade. There's just so much you can do with it - more than I've even had time to figure out yet. I've never taken the time to calculate the value of all the dies I have for my sizzix, but I'm sure it's several times what I paid for my Wishblade - and I bought it before the price dropped. (They used to sell it with either basic and advanced s/w, but now everyone that purchases it gets the advanced s/w.) I think what I love best about it is that you can adjust the size to fit your need, not stuck with whatever size the die is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter