• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which deck to pick?

tmclanton

Mouseketeer
We will be going on our first cruise next summer. I am trying to figure out what kind of stateroom and what deck to get. Are there advantages to being on certain decks? Is higher necessarily better (I assume they are since they are more expensive)? Any advice?
TIA!

We will be going on our first cruise next summer. I am trying to figure out what kind of stateroom and what deck to get. Are there advantages to being on certain decks? Is higher necessarily better (I assume they are since they are more expensive)? Any advice?
TIA!

Higher decks are more expensive b/c they're further from the engines and potential noise. Also a slight throwback to the Titanic days of separating classes. Others like a higher deck b/c it's fewer stairs to get to deck 9.

We are perfectly content with deck 2, cat 9. We really like a window for not just the view but natural light too; knowing if it's day or night. We don't feel the extra $ for a verandah is worth it since we spend so little time in our room. Some feel a window isn't worth the $, some can't sail w/o a verandah. If I had babies napping, I might feel that way too.

We've tried all 3 and feel window works best for us. ymmv. The only noise we ever hear is during docking when they use the side thrusters. We usually are awake anyway or need to wake up and it's never bothered us. jmho.

Pick what you might enjoy and what's within your budget. You can always try something different on future cruise and compare.

Its all a matter of preference. No wrong decisions here. We personally prefer deck 8, and will be on deck 10 on the Dream. We like the view and the verandah, especially on a 7 night or longer cruise.

I prefer a higher floor, aft of the ship and starboard side and outside room! The past 2 cruises we have been on deck 8, this year is deck 6. not as high as I would like, but we have 2 cabins instead of 1.

Aft is better for motion sickness for me.

I prefer starboard side for CC.

Now dh could stay anywhere on the ship and would be fine.

I enjoy sitting on the Veranda, and I've heard people complaining about the noises from public spaces, so I prefer Deck 7 on the Magic. From the deckplans, it doesn't look like decks 7,8,9 on the Dream, will have public spaces above or below.

If motion sickness is an issue, lower decks have less motion.

Yep all depends on what CAT of room you want. We have been in a CAT 11 on deck 6, it was nice. CAT 10 on Deck 7 Forward, nice but felt motion. CAT 10 deck 1....was by far my favorite location! Very quiet, not much foot traffic, easy on & off on port days. Forward elevators were never busy.

I have stayed starboard, aft, Deck 7 verandah or navigator verandah so many times that I think I could close my eyes and get there from anywhere on the Magic or Wonder. Same reasons as Magic3forme stated. Will be there again in December. If we do get rough seas, there is no way I could handle forward or low. Guess I'm among the few who go for high and aft and have no problems.

But next year I am opting for port side of the same locale. My last few cruises the captain has pulled straight into CC, so starboard didn't have the usual great view. But if I ever sail on the Dream or Fantasy, it would be starboard, high and aft!

Great Question!

For motion sickness would you pick front, middle, or back of the ship, and what deck would you choose? I see that some say aft is better, being new to the cruise world I am not sure what part of the ship that is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For motion sickness, lower is better and definitely middle or slightly aft (but not the very back). The higher you are on a ship, the more you will feel the motion. Also, I would most definitely avoid the front of the ship as even in pretty calm seas the bow moves significantly.

Dining rooms are almost always placed low and center to back of ship because it's least likely to make people feel queazy! :goodvibes

I like being near the center elevators on deck 7 or 8. It's easily accessible to most parts of the ship and is very stable.

Katherine

Great Question!

For motion sickness would you pick front, middle, or back of the ship, and what deck would you choose? I see that some say aft is better, being new to the cruise world I am not sure what part of the ship that is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aft is the direction towards the back of the ship. Check out the nautical terms, I think it's in the sticky posts.

I just booked my first cruise, but as I understand it, you're only likely to get motion sick on a ship in rough weather, generally these ships are very stable motion-wise.

But my many years of experience in a sailboat has taught me that every one can get motion sick at some point and which motion varies by person. With some it's the side to side rolling, with others it's waves that come from the back in long intervals. So it depends on what the motion is and what you can do to correct it. Closer to the water line should have less motion if the ship is rocking. YMMV.

Aft is the direction towards the back of the ship. Check out the nautical terms, I think it's in the sticky posts.

I just booked my first cruise, but as I understand it, you're only likely to get motion sick on a ship in rough weather, generally these ships are very stable motion-wise.

But my many years of experience in a sailboat has taught me that every one can get motion sick at some point and which motion varies by person. With some it's the side to side rolling, with others it's waves that come from the back in long intervals. So it depends on what the motion is and what you can do to correct it. Closer to the water line should have less motion if the ship is rocking. YMMV.

Thank you! Great information to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter