• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which day to go? Labor Day or 9/6?

BelleWannabe4

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, I haven't been to DL in roughly 15 years and need some help with planning. I'm going for the Disneyland Half over Labor Day weekend and we're trying to decide between going to the parks on Labor Day or the Tuesday afterwards. I know that the Tuesday will be significantly less crowded but 1) the hours are much more limited (10am-8pm instead of 7/8am-midnight), 2) no Space Mountain and 3) we're only staying at the Disneyland Hotel for Saturday and Sunday nights. So if we go on Monday, we get the EMH at DCA and we're close to our hotel. We're staying with friends Monday-Wednesday not in Anaheim (but somewhere in LA - I don't really know which part).

Should we plan for the less crowded Tuesday? Or brave the crowds for the convenience of being right next to the parks? I know if this was WDW, I would go for the less crowded day no matter what, but I'm just not sure about DL.

TIA!

Do you want to see the 60th festivities, like PTN and Disneyland Forever fireworks? If so, those end on the 5th, so that would decide your question. If you don't care about the 60th, then the 6th should be fine.

We don't really care too much about the shows. I've also heard rumors that PTN and the fireworks will be sticking around, which would be great, but we wouldn't bank on it.

Are you getting a park hopper, or just doing DCA? I'd probably opt for the Sunday after the race than the last day of the 60th, on that particular weekend. You also want to find out where in LA you're moving to, it might be really far from DLR. If you're getting a hopper you might want to consider a 2 day, 1 park ticket instead and doing DL on Sat and DCA on Sun.

Labor Day is among the most crowded of times in the park and the day after is one of the slowest.

Definitely not Labor Day. Last year, it was MISERABLE. Between it being a holiday and the day after the Half Marathon, there were so many people. I would definitely save park time to the 6th if I were you. We're planning to spend Labor Day after the half by the pool and in Downtown Disney before hitting Chef's Counter at Napa Rose for dinner.

If you do choose to go into the parks, have a plan and be prepared to move quickly, wait a while in line or miss out on some headliners.

We don't really care too much about the shows. I've also heard rumors that PTN and the fireworks will be sticking around, which would be great, but we wouldn't bank on it.

I would say PTN on 9/6 is highly unlikely. I had a Paint the Night Package reservation on 9/6, but Disney called me today to cancel it.

Thanks for the tips! We're planning to do a park hopper and only wanted to spend one day in the parks. I'm recovering from a stress fracture and will probably want to rest after the half.

Labor Day is among the most crowded of times in the park and the day after is one of the slowest.
Until school gets out, and then people console their children and ease them into the school year with an afternoon stop in the parks.

We are hitting it on Monday, crowds be damned. I think the 60th is worth it. SM is absolutely worth it (to us). We are also going back to the parks later in the week also, so we'll have plenty of time to do other things there. It all depends on what kind of trip you want.

Until school gets out, and then people console their children and ease them into the school year with an afternoon stop in the parks.

I have not noticed that.
We've planned several trips throughout the years to coincide with the days right after LD and they have worked out great.

Since the 5th is the end of the 60th I would imagine it will be packed, especially at night for the PTN parade and fireworks!

I was reading on another thread that Disneyland Forever fireworks might end on Sept. 5 as well and that there might not be any fireworks that week. Is that possible? Does DL not have fireworks every night?

I was reading on another thread that Disneyland Forever fireworks might end on Sept. 5 as well and that there might not be any fireworks that week. Is that possible? Does DL not have fireworks every night?

It looks like Disneyland Forever is ending on the 5th. In the past, fireworks were only presented in the off season on Fri, Sat & Sun, but during the 60th celebration they were presented every night. So it looks like they will go back to weekends only and it will be Fantasy In The Sky.

Also, fireworks at DLR are notoriously fickle. They get cancelled all the time if the wind is too strong or other weather related issues. One of the disadvantages of being so close to residential areas I guess. There is a chance you can go on 9/5 and still not see any fireworks.

Our first day in the parks is the 5th and I'm ready for the crowds because I want to see PTN before it ends. I missed MSEP before it was shipped off to WDW so I am not missing this! Now.....I don't know if my fiancé will be ready for those crowds lol I'm just hoping its not miserably hot.

Our first day in the parks is the 5th and I'm ready for the crowds because I want to see PTN before it ends. I missed MSEP before it was shipped off to WDW so I am not missing this! Now.....I don't know if my fiancé will be ready for those crowds lol I'm just hoping its not miserably hot.

We'll be there starting the 8th and I am also hoping it's not hot! Last year we were there from the 11th-14th of September and it was 100 every single day!! UGH!

We'll be there starting the 8th and I am also hoping it's not hot! Last year we were there from the 11th-14th of September and it was 100 every single day!! UGH!

I'm scared it will be. Looking at what they're saying, we're going to have above average temps across the board through November this year. Makes me sad, I'm in Texas and currently melting, so if the heat would go away it would be welcomed!

The heat is brutal, even in September. I remember drove down from SF a few years back through Fresno and Bakersfield where it was ~105° in both places. After that 95 actually didn't feel too bad. Plenty of water and back to the pool in the afternoon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter