• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which cruise would you pick?

chunkymonkey

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone! My husband and I just went on our first DCL cruise (5-night Bahamian Itinerary B) on the Magic 2 weeks ago (TR in siggy) and we loved it so much we put down a deposit for another cruise in 2016. Our new cruise is the 7-night western Caribbean on the Fantasy. We were drawn to this cruise because:
a) Star Wars day at sea
b) I'll be celebrating my 40th Bday on this cruise. (Technically it is the day of disembarkation, but I'm allowed a bday week, right?)
c) Star Wars day at sea!!!!!
d) Experience a new ship, the Fantasy
e) Different ports of call: aside from Castaway Cay, we'll be going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman.
f) We received an onboard booking discount!
g) Star Wars day at sea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons:
Added cost and time to fly to Orlando, one night hotel, and fly back to NYC. And with the cruise in Feb...there might be inclement weather issues.

Then after we returned from our trip, they just announced the Magic was going to be sailing from New York again in the fall of 2016! That is my hometown and we live about 30 minutes from the port. Nothing will beat the convenience of having to cruise from your backyard. In fact, where I work right now in NJ, my office faces the exact port on the west side of NYC where the cruise ships dock. I have seen the Magic sail from that port in 2012 and soooo wished I were on that cruise...it would kill me to watch the Magic sail away and I'm not on the ship for at least one of the sailings! These cruises appeal to me mainly because:

a) They sail from NYC and back!!
b) I love the Magic!
c) Don't have to pay for flight or hotel!
d) One day park hopper ticket to WDW included!

Cons:
We're interested in the 7 or 8-night sailings to the Bahamas, which pretty much go to the exact same ports that we just experienced: Port Canaveral, Castaway Cay, Nassau Bahamas...nothing wrong with that but it would be nice to see something new.

These cruises are blacked out for bounce back discounts...so we'd only get the onboard credit and no discount for the cruise. Boo. The price for the same category stateroom is actually significantly higher than the Fantasy cruise. Depending on cost of flights to Orlando (which are usually cheap from NYC) it may even out but...

Assuming the price would be the same...which cruise would you pick and why? I am torn and trying to see different opinions. It's been 4 years since the Magic was last in NYC so not sure if they will do the same after 2016...but I've also wanted to experience another ship and itinerary. We were also in WDW for Star Wars weekends and loved it...so the Star Wars day at sea really appeals to us!

Ooooh, that's a tough one. The appeal of a ship leaving from your hometown is enormous. In fact, I recently canceled our Southern Carib cruise on the Wonder and booked one for the Fantasy instead but the cost of flying to San Juan vs driving to Port Canaveral is quite significant for a family of four. That said, if it's just the two of you, I would probably go for the Fantasy cruise. I get the vibe that you really want to do that one. Since you've already been on the Magic, I'd go for the Fantasy. Those are the two ships that I've sailed, and I personally liked the Fantasy much better. And I think the Star Wars thing is huge for you since you mentioned it three times. Given that the Magic NYC dates are blacked out, you'll like come out even with the discount on the Fantasy even if you have to pay for flights. I'm sure you can find cheap flights from NYC to Orlando if you search frequently between now and then.

Super tough. Those NYC sailings are pricey for sure!

If the prices end up evening out I'd say go with the Fantasy cruise. New ports, new ship, and from your list above, it seems like that is the one you are more excited about. :)

If you liked the Magic then I would say you will love the Fantasy. It's one big beautiful playground of fun for all. I think the only problem you will have with weather would be at Port Canaveral (may be chilly or even cold), but after that it will be nice in the Caribbean. We enjoyed Cozumel (dolphin excursion) and Grand Cayman (submarine excursion), Jamaica not so much but just because we ran into some pushy (rude) local vendors. I would do that itinerary again in a heartbeat.

I'd do the fantasy. I've been on all the ships, so they are all great, but you can't beat different ports and Star Wars!! Especially if you're looking at it possibly costing the same with more days on board, that's worth it. Good luck in your decision & may the force be with you

We looked at the cruises from NYC as well since we're also in the Northeast. Here's what we decided and why. We decided to go with the Cruise from Florida. The price was $1000 less which will cover the airfare. I can bookend the trip with additional Disney days if I want. Weather in the Northeast isn't always reliable - I want to get into the warm weather as quickly as possible. I liked the itinerary better (more ports to see!). And it had the newer ship.

It's all a matter of opinion, but that was our rationale!

I'd pick the Star Wars cruise so you can celebrate your birthday. Plus after the winter we had last year you'll be very happy to escape from the cold!

IMHO with the option of ship you've never been on (and different class), new ports of interest, and likely a cheaper total costs (with for certain the cruise alone significantly cheaper), those would all outweigh the novelty of sailing close to home for us.

I would pick the 7 night Fantasy cruise, because of the itinerary and Star Wars!

Totally the Fantasy. I think you're leaning that way anyway. LOL

After all... it is Star Wars. :woohoo:

Fantasy for your birthday. Its an important birthday! In fact that is how I spent mine, on Fantasy. Plus it has the Star Wars thing, which to me is a nightmare but since you mentioned it multiple times, I am guessing its a plus for you.

If it were not your birthday, I would say do the backyard cruise. But are you going to be sitting there on your birthday saying "I could have been on a cruise today?" Because that would not be fun.

LOL, thank you everyone for your feedback...I think I know what I must do...

Fantasy it is! For now...

BTW is anyone planning to be on this specific sailing?

For me it would be the Magic because we live in Mass and Disney doesn't sail out of NYC on a regular basis. The Fantasy will be sailing out of PC for years to come but the Magic out of NYC, not so much. We had the same choice to make and we decided to do the Magic but we are doing the Canada cruise.

I vote for the fantasy. It will give you one more reason to love Disney cruises. It's an amazing ship that will wow you. We also love the magic as we have been on it 3 times. Only once on the fantasy and can't wait to do that ship again. It's also very rare that a cruise on the fantasy is less expensive than other options

My concern is getting to florida in the winter. We don't travel from New England anymore when there's a chance of major snowstorms....not worth the stress regarding "what ifs" for me! I'd do the NY cruise for that reason.

Thank you all for your opinions. It sure is hard to choose! Hmm, yes a big concern is the weather in Feb...I do plan on getting down to Orlando a day or maybe even a few days earlier then we can do a few days at WDW...at least it's what I am hoping to do...Feb seems so far away, and Sept/Oct is even further!

I've been on all 4 ships and love both the Fantasy and the Magic. If price is the same. I'd take the NY cruise. 1. It doesn't always happen. 2. If I'm going on the Fantasy I'd do Eastern Caribbean not Western. Cozumel IMO is basically a dump and I've already been to Tulum. 3. Grand Cayman has the beach but so does the Eastern Cruise. 4. I have kids so the flight, the travel and all that stuff already give me a headache. We are in Miami and go out of Miami whenever we can and we only have to drive 3 hours to Port Canaveral and it's still stressful. 5. The reimagined Magic is great and rival's the Fantasy, IMO. 6. The Fantasy will continue to do 7 nights. 7. Fall at CC is usual still pretty nice water temp since you are coming off the summer and Feb stinks to me and I have never been in the water at that time of year, even March is tough. The only downside to me is you miss Star War Days. That doesn't appeal to me but clearly it's something you are interested in. On the other hand, by then the Magic will have the new show Tangled which interests me more.

I love being able to take NJ transit to the ship. Sailing out of NY harbor past downtown, the statue of Liberty, under the Verrazano Narrows bridge is a treat. We loved it so much last time, we will be taking the Magic down to Puerto Rico.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter