Which credit has the best money back for groceries?

maslex

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for a credit card that has a good "money back" offer. I do grocery shopping once a week and split it up between Walmart and a local grocery store. I'll be paying it off each week or month (whichever works better) But I'd also like to use it every now and then for emergencies. Any ideas what would be the card for me?

The Amex Blue everyday is good if you don't want to pay an annual fee. I have both the preferred and the everyday. I get better offers on the preferred card--enough to more than offset the annul fee.

I have the Amex Blue everyday card which touts the 6% cash back at grocery stores, but we don't have a SINGLE grocery store here that qualifies as one of their stores. It's almost as bad with their gas stations. I almost never use the card unless I find an interesting worthwhile offer and that is not even very often.

I have the Amex Blue everyday card which touts the 6% cash back at grocery stores, but we don't have a SINGLE grocery store here that qualifies as one of their stores. It's almost as bad with their gas stations. I almost never use the card unless I find an interesting worthwhile offer and that is not even very often.
The everyday card is 3% at grocery stores. The preferred is 6%. Mine work at all grocery stores. Walmart and Target are not considered grocery stores though. Grocery store gas stations don't count as gas stations so I just buy a store gift card inside the grocery store to get around that.

The everyday card is 3% at grocery stores. The preferred is 6%. Mine work at all grocery stores. Walmart and Target are not considered grocery stores though. Grocery store gas stations don't count as gas stations so I just buy a store gift card inside the grocery store to get around that.

Yes, you are 100% correct!! It is 3% with the card I have. Since I have never been able to use it, I guess I didn't know LOL!! The only grocery stores we have are Walmart, Meijer's, and Hardings and none of those qualify. Our Walmart doesn't have a gas station, so no savings there either by buying cards in the store for a few cents off a gallon . I was excited to get the Amex just in time for Small Business Saturday and got to take advantage of that perk for that one time only since they went and stopped that the very next year. All in all I haven't done that great with my Amex card!!

I have both the ax blue everyday and prefered. thought i was going to make lots of $$ with these. BUT our Fred Meyers is not coded properly to receive any cash back. altho i've seen koger on their cash back list, and fred meyers is a kroger, it does not work. i'm still looking for the perfect grocery credit card. the discover & the chase freedom have both had groceries as a quarterly bonus catagory but that changes and not one of the current offers. there are some 2% on everything cards out there and that might be the best choice.

For Walmart and Target, you have to test them to see what they code out. I have a 5x on grocery store and it codes some walmarts as grocery store. Unfortunately, this card isnt offered anymore.

I have the Amex Blue Cash Preferred and I love it. The fee is $95 so depending on what you spend, it might be more beneficial to get the no annual Amex Blue Cash Everyday. If you spend $100 a week, then you'd make $217 cash back with the Preferred vs the $157 with the regular and that's ONLY with groceries.

Blue Cash Preferred is 6% grocery stores, 3% gas stations and select department stores, 1% everything else. Blue Cash Everyday is 3%, 2%, and 1% respectively. I love it and I use it a lot! Both cards also offer free ShopRunner which is an AMAZING perk for me because I love online shopping!! They also have certain "offers" you can add which adds savings. For example, I had one for Longhorn it was $10 off $50. I went to Longhorn with a coupon, hit $50 with tax and tip and the $10 was automatically applied! Easy peasy.

I also agree with Albort, just test each store to see what it codes. I just recently found out that my Target codes as grocery!! I use it at Publix and Whole Foods.

We use Amex Blue Cash for 3%. Our Walmart Neighborhood Market codes as supermarket.

Our Walmart Credit Card just sent out an email this week that all Walmart purchases (online, super center, market) with the Walmart card will give 3% back as a statement credit. If you don't have one, during the holidays, they usually offer a statement credit off your first purchase. I think last year was $25 off $75+.

FYI on the AmEx BC Preferred, Walmart Grocery (the pick up service) counts as grocery and you can get a lot of non-grocery items like cleaning supplies and paper products through them as well. Nice way to make a few extra bucks in rewards.

there is a list but the only real way to know is to try it and then wait 2 months to see how it posts. unless there is someone else who has tried your local store and knows.
U.S. Supermarkets

To earn additional rewards on supermarket purchases, the supermarket must be located in the U.S.
A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.
(Superstores, convenience stores and warehouse clubs are NOT considered supermarkets.)
Examples of merchants* that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards include:
• Gristedes
• Foodtown
• Meijer
• Pathmark
• Shoprite
• Stop and Shop
• Vons
• Whole Foods
• Winn-Dixie
• Online supermarkets such as FreshDirect

*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
• Specialty stores (e.g., fish markets, cheese shops, wine shops, and other specialty food stores )
• Superstores (e.g. Amazon, Target and Wal-Mart)
• Warehouse clubs (e.g. BJ's Club)

where do you find out if your grocery store is one the participates?

What stores do you normally shop at? I'm sure someone here can advise if it codes as grocery. Other than that you really have to use it and see what it codes

Blue Cash Preferred is 6% grocery stores, 3% gas stations and select department stores, 1% everything else.
At least here then I don't think the rewards card would be worth it for gas. I normally buy gas at a cash only station, but bought gas at a station today that takes credit cards. But they give a 20 cent a gallon discount for cash so at the $2.49 the 3% back would only be 7.5 cents a gallon. The biggest savings would be just not using a card and paying cash.

At least here then I don't think the rewards card would be worth it for gas. I normally buy gas at a cash only station, but bought gas at a station today that takes credit cards. But they give a 20 cent a gallon discount for cash so at the $2.49 the 3% back would only be 7.5 cents a gallon. The biggest savings would be just not using a card and paying cash.

oh interesting. I honestly didn't know they still had any cash only stations! I haven't seen one in a looooooooooooooooooong time!

oh interesting. I honestly didn't know they still had any cash only stations! I haven't seen one in a looooooooooooooooooong time!
ARCO takes debit cards, but charge 45 cents per transaction. No credit cards. Cash too. And most gas stations have a lower cash price, even the ones that take credit cards.

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for grocery stores (6% back for first $6,000 spent annually) but I don't believe Walmart falls into that category. It also has a $95 annual fee.

I also have this card and love it!

If you shop at Walmart or target for a lot of groceries, though, they will not count for your cash back. I hghily recommend the target red card if you go to target often. 5% discount (not cash back, you get it right then) on all purchases plus free shipping online

There is another really good card but its closed for new apps though... 5% gas(up to $200/month), 5% groceries(up to $200/month), 5% bookstores(up to $200) which some reason amazon is coded at a bookstore.

AU this card! haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter