Which classic wines are worth it?

So I'm going to answer your question a different way -- the retail on these bottles as someone above noted is between $9 - $12 US. Most are entry-level wines (like the Jackson-Triggs served at Swiss Chalet vs. Jackson-Triggs at Milestones). If the package price is greater than $30ish/bottle you are getting a poor return, and you might be better off choosing what you like off menu each night.

I never really get why people compare retail value to restaurant cost. No matter where you buy wine the retail value is always going to be less then the cost of a bottle. Even if you buy your own wine and carry it on board you are going to end up paying above retail value because you'll pay the corking fee per a night you bring a new bottle.

OP I think the shorter list you are looking at is good. I would just have a couple in mind and then chose based on what you are ordering that night. Disney kind of makes their lists easy to pair with though so there isn't really too much of an issue with pre-picking especially since you don't like dry.

I never really get why people compare retail value to restaurant cost. No matter where you buy wine the retail value is always going to be less then the cost of a bottle. Even if you buy your own wine and carry it on board you are going to end up paying above retail value because you'll pay the corking fee per a night you bring a new bottle.

OP I think the shorter list you are looking at is good. I would just have a couple in mind and then chose based on what you are ordering that night. Disney kind of makes their lists easy to pair with though so there isn't really too much of an issue with pre-picking especially since you don't like dry.
It's relevant when you try to equate value to quality. An expensive bottle of wine is not necessarily a good value or good quality. Since the OP is from Canada I tried to provide a relatable quality and price point comparison. It has been my experience with Disney that their mid-tier wines are both better quality and value. YMMV

So I'm going to answer your question a different way -- the retail on these bottles as someone above noted is between $9 - $12 US. Most are entry-level wines (like the Jackson-Triggs served at Swiss Chalet vs. Jackson-Triggs at Milestones). If the package price is greater than $30ish/bottle you are getting a poor return, and you might be better off choosing what you like off menu each night.

How much is an individual glass though? And if you did the math for a per-bottle cost if you got it by the glass, wouldn't you come out ahead doing the package? THAT seems like much more accurate math for this situation as you cannot carry on unlimited bottles of wine - and the amount you can is subject to the corkage fee.

I've never tried most of these wines, and wouldn't claim to know much about wine in general. For the sake of context: I can generally tell the difference between a $10 bottle and a $20 bottle. I imagine I could probably tell the difference between a $20 bottle and a $50 bottle too, but since I've never spent that much (retail) on a bottle of wine, I wouldn't really know. Most of the wine I buy is in the $12-$17 range (in Ontario). Most (but not all) bottles priced below $12 (again, in Ontario) are either borderline or outright undrinkable, to my taste.

With that in mind: the Wolf Blass Cab is one of my favourite "everyday" wines. Certainly drinkable, at least for those of us not in the habit of dropping upwards of $25/bottle (retail). Given that the OP is looking at the classic list to start with, I'm going to assume she falls into that category. Can't comment on where you might find it in Montreal, but if you have occasion to make it across the Ontario border, it is readily available at the LCBO. I believe the regular price is $16.95 / bottle. I often see it in local restaurants priced around $35 - $40, but not sure what DCL charges for the same bottle at the table. If anyone else knows, please share. :-)

ETA: More LCBO price point comparisons, gives at least some sense of relative value. For those familiar with LCBO pricing, it should also give some sense of absolute value (notwithstanding individual preferences, of course). Take it for what it's worth.

Beringer Zinfandel: $10.95
Zolo Torrontes: $14.95 (Vintages)
Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay: $19.95 (Vintages)
Castello del Poggio Moscato: $14.50
Murphy-Goode Sauvignon Blanc: $17.65 (online, by the case only)

Layer Cake Shiraz: $21.25 (Vintages)
Centine Rosso Toscana: $15.95
Cune Crianza Rioja: $17.95 (Vintages)
Zolo Malbec: $18.95 (Vintages)

* LCBO Vintages are limited availability, stocked at certain stores only.

Last edited:
How much is an individual glass though? And if you did the math for a per-bottle cost if you got it by the glass, wouldn't you come out ahead doing the package? THAT seems like much more accurate math for this situation as you cannot carry on unlimited bottles of wine - and the amount you can is subject to the corkage fee.

The package is definitely a good value for us. We have tried bringing wine on board and it turned out to be more expensive (with the corking fee).

Also for some mysterious reason the "Disney wine" that we buy in WDW makes my husband sick (sulfites???) ... We don't drive so that pretty much our only option to buy alcohol before boarding.

Every time we ordered wine at the glass during a cruise, we paid 13-16$ per glass.

The package of 3 bottles is 95$ (Which means around 31,50$/bottle). We are most likely going to drink 1 bottle/night.

4 glasses of wine (we are four adults) would cost us 52-64$/night.

A bottle from the package would give us 4 to 6 glasses depending on how generous we are with it. LOL

Given that the OP is looking at the classic list to start with, I'm going to assume she falls into that category. Can't comment on where you might find it in Montreal, but if you have occasion to make it across the Ontario border, it is readily available at the LCBO. :-)

According to my SAQ app (in which I only "like" the wines I really appreciate), I drink bottles between 7,55$ and 34$/bottle. We can get very acceptable options under 12$ but those would be what I call "week-end wine", not "celebration wine". I'm fine with "week-end wine" for a cruise, especially when eating at the MDR... :) For Palo and Remy, I tend to be a bit more picky.

In Quebec, a 18$ bottle can be sold 60$ at the restaurant. They're insane.

In Quebec, a 18$ bottle can be sold 60$ at the restaurant. They're insane.
That's some highway robbery right there. With that said, if they can get $60 for the bottle, all power to them.

We ordered a package on the Fantasy last year. I think I decided to just go with the Euro reds first, then the Layer Cake, the German Riesling, and back to whatever we liked. I don't know that we had a bad wine, but I don't think any of them were super-memorable or I'd have taken a photo and hunted the wine down at the LCBO.

Those bottles are all pretty cheap in the store. If you have time before your cruise buy some and try them.

Just in case its not obvious to the casual reader of this thread, if you don't know which of the wines to select from the Classic list its probably not worth moving up to the Premium package.

Just in case its not obvious to the casual reader of this thread, if you don't know which of the wines to select from the Classic list its probably not worth moving up to the Premium package.

Yes and no. I think many of those wines are not available in Canada.

I suppose that the premium packages contains better selections. I recognize some names among them because we have tried them during the wine tasting (otherwise I wouldn't) ...

I guess if our palate was more developped we would go with the premium package instinctively...

But, since it isn't and we haven't tried them... We are going to take a chance with the classics. ;)

Hello!

I've decided to order a package of classic wine for our cruise and from what I understand, you are allowed 1 bottle of wine per night from a list which is:

White Wines and Sparkling
Baccorosa Zonin Rose Piedmont, Italy
Beringer White Zinfandel California, USA
Tangley Oaks Chardonnay Napa Valley, USA
Pinot Grigio Albola Veneto, Italy
Selbach Riesling Kabinett Mosel, Germany
Zolo Torrontes Mendoza, Argentina
Hess Chardonnay Monterey California, USA
Kendall Jackson Chardonnay Vintner's Reserve California, USA
Castello del Poggio Moscato Lombardy, Italy
Murphy-Goode Sauvignon Blanc Sonoma County, USA
Simi Sauvignon Blanc Sonoma County, USA

Red Wines
Layer Cake Shiraz South Australia, Australia
Castle Rock Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles California, USA
Seven Daughter Pinot Noir California, USA
Centine Rosso Di Toscana Banfi, Italy
Tangley Oaks Merlot Coastal California, USA
Cune Crianza Rioja, Spain
Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon South Australia, Australia
Zolo Malbec Mendoza, Argentina

I am from Canada (Quebec) and we don't have access to the same wines as the US, therefore it is hard for me to decide which wines in that list are worth it as I've never ever tried any of them.

Any kind of help from someone who knows their wine would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

We prefer reds, although I love Moscato! I remember the Malbec, Shiraz, and either the Spanish or Italian reds all being very good.

Hello!

I've decided to order a package of classic wine for our cruise and from what I understand, you are allowed 1 bottle of wine per night from a list which is:

White Wines and Sparkling
Baccorosa Zonin Rose Piedmont, Italy
Beringer White Zinfandel California, USA
Tangley Oaks Chardonnay Napa Valley, USA
Pinot Grigio Albola Veneto, Italy
Selbach Riesling Kabinett Mosel, Germany
Zolo Torrontes Mendoza, Argentina
Hess Chardonnay Monterey California, USA
Kendall Jackson Chardonnay Vintner's Reserve California, USA
Castello del Poggio Moscato Lombardy, Italy
Murphy-Goode Sauvignon Blanc Sonoma County, USA
Simi Sauvignon Blanc Sonoma County, USA

Red Wines
Layer Cake Shiraz South Australia, Australia
Castle Rock Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles California, USA
Seven Daughter Pinot Noir California, USA
Centine Rosso Di Toscana Banfi, Italy
Tangley Oaks Merlot Coastal California, USA
Cune Crianza Rioja, Spain
Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon South Australia, Australia
Zolo Malbec Mendoza, Argentina

I am from Canada (Quebec) and we don't have access to the same wines as the US, therefore it is hard for me to decide which wines in that list are worth it as I've never ever tried any of them.

Any kind of help from someone who knows their wine would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Just got back from the Fantasy last week and had a four bottle classic package. All four bottles were very nice and I'd recommend every one of them. We had the Kendall Jackson Chardonnay, the Layer Cake Shiraz, the Castle Rock Cabernet, and the Wolf Blass Cabernet.

We are doing our first cruise in February. I have a couple questions:
1. Is the corkage fee per bottle?
2. Can you also just buy a bottle at dinner and it's the same as the package? (Like if you don't finish it they'll keep it for the next night or you can take back to your room?). 3. Rough idea of wine by the glass prices and bottle prices?

We are doing our first cruise in February. I have a couple questions:
1. Is the corkage fee per bottle?
2. Can you also just buy a bottle at dinner and it's the same as the package? (Like if you don't finish it they'll keep it for the next night or you can take back to your room?). 3. Rough idea of wine by the glass prices and bottle prices?

1) Yes, the corkage fee is per bottle. It only applies to bottles which you carry onboard and bring to the dining room to consume with dinner. There is no corkage fee if you consume the bottle in your stateroom.

2) Yes, you can just purchase a bottle of wine at dinner without purchasing the wine package and your servers will either store it for you or you can take it back to your stateroom.

3) There's so much variation here depending on what wine you order. I believe the least expensive wines by the glass were around $6 or $7 per glass, and I want to say the least expensive bottles were in the $30 range, but I'm not 100% on that. My overall impression was that the wines were priced comparably to what I would pay in a restaurant on land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter