Which Breakfast - Akershus or Cape May???

TiggerTrigger

a.k.a. HouCuseChickie
We've never done Cape May and we've only done Akershus for lunch and dinner. Obviously, one is a princess meal and the other is not, but it's really more of the # of characters and convenience factors that have me leaning towards Akershus.

We'd be going to Epcot the day we do this one...and while Cape May is in the Epcot area, Akershus would obviously put us right in the park. It's probably not the most convenient spot for making the run for Soarin' FPs, but I still think it would put us in a better position. Or am I wrong?

Maybe this will sound petty, but everything I've read about Cape May only lists 3 characters at the meal. Considering all of the other character meals at WDW that we've done have either 4 or 5 characters- I feel like it could be a bit of a let down only having 3...i.e. will my kids be asking "who else are we going to meet?" - just to be disappointed? Or is the character interaction of the 3 far superior to a meal w/4 or 5 characters?

Food isn't a huge concern since it's breakfast and only once have I had a character breakfast that was borderline vile and disgusting; however, I guess it would be good to hear which has better food. We really like Akershus for lunch and dinner, but I know breakfast is more generic. So, I guess any opinions on food quality and offerings would also be appreciated.

Akershus and Cape May Breakfasts are our must dos, we love both of them. If you are going to be going to Epcot anyways, then my suggestion would be to go to Akershus. We love to get the earliest possible ADR (8am) on a non early EMH day....taking pictures of the park when it is nearly empty is awesome.

As for Cape May Cafe, it is one of the best character meals on property IMHO. The interaction with the characters are awesome, they really interact with the kids AND the adults. The restaurant is so relaxing and is much quieter then other character meals. If your only concern with Cape May Cafe is the fact that there are only 3 characters, then you shouldn't worry at all. Yes there are only 3 but like I said before the characters interact with everyone at the tables really well, and most of the times when we eat there, the characters come around to our table a second time. I don't think your kids will be let down with the fact that there are only 3 characters, instead you should just give it a try sometime :goodvibes.

Akershus and Cape May Breakfasts are our must dos, we love both of them. If you are going to be going to Epcot anyways, then my suggestion would be to go to Akershus. We love to get the earliest possible ADR (8am) on a non early EMH day....taking pictures of the park when it is nearly empty is awesome.

As for Cape May Cafe, it is one of the best character meals on property IMHO. The interaction with the characters are awesome, they really interact with the kids AND the adults. The restaurant is so relaxing and is much quieter then other character meals. If your only concern with Cape May Cafe is the fact that there are only 3 characters, then you shouldn't worry at all. Yes there are only 3 but like I said before the characters interact with everyone at the tables really well, and most of the times when we eat there, the characters come around to our table a second time. I don't think your kids will be let down with the fact that there are only 3 characters, instead you should just give it a try sometime :goodvibes.

:thumbsup2 I agree 100%

We prefer Akershus to Cape May. Cape May is a good character breakfast, but a number of features lead us back to Akershus every year.

First, as you note, it is in Epcot, making it easier to get to if you are not at an Epcot resort. We like to make a reservation for 8, then get out of our meal just as the park opens, which is very convenient.

Second, our kids seem to prefer the princesses to the Cape May trio, although the Cape May trio is great. Getting the picture with Belle (included in the price) is also a plus. The poster above is right that you will often get a second round visit at Cape May, though, at least from one character.

Third, Cape May is a full buffet while Akershus is a combination of buffet and family style (eggs, sausage, bacon and potatoes are family style). That makes it easier for us because one of us doesn't have to go make full plates for 3 while the other stays with our little one at the table. Also, our bacon monster (DS) can just hoover the stuff up without necessitating multiple trips to the buffet.

We had a good time at Cape May, but Akershus is only place we have gone on all three of our visits as a family (and we're making it 4 for 4 this August).

I was not impressed with Cape May at all. We stayed on property and heard only good things about the resturant but I will say the food selection was not so great. They did not refill empty items quickly at all. It seemed like all the popular food choices were empty at all times. The lay out was a little awkard. They workers we not very Disney polite and very rude at times. Also, we sat over an hour after our meal to see the characters. And then it was a very limited viewing if that. We will not be returning again.

We absolutely love the convience of Akershus being right in the parks. It made it so much easier for us. The princess interaction has always been good. We love the picture with Belle in the front and then all the princesses coming to the table. We have seen five each time counting Belle out front. The princesses lead the kids through the restaurant which my daughter loves. The breakfast is nice and has plenty of offerings. cape May was nice, but it took a long time for us to get food and then have the characters make their way to our table. If you are going to a park early, can eat up a lot of time.

Thanks everyone!!! :goodvibes It sounds like Cape May might be good for us to try at some point, but that Akershus is the better choice for my plans on this particular Epcot day. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter