• Controversial Topics on DISboards.com. Several months ago I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in opt-out. Click Here

Which attractions are best at night?

Tower of Terror is more thrilling at night. During the day there are little cracks of light that leak in, so that you're always generally aware of where you are, how high, when you're moving, etc. But when it's dark, it's COMPLETELY dark. You have nothing but your sense of motion to give your brain cues as to position, speed, etc. and I find it completely disorienting. The lifts and drops are lot more surprising and lot more terrifying. People who love ToT will like it even more after dark, people who dislike it will hate it even more.

Once I rode Space Mountain with my clip-on sunglasses still attached because I was worried about losing them. That was scary-cool! I suppose you could get a similar effect just by closing your eyes, but somehow being able to see just a hint of the surroundings makes it more exciting. You can get a similar sensation if you come in from the bright sunlight, use Fastpass and get onto the coaster before your eyes are fully dark-adapted.

I second all the other suggestions about rides and just enjoying the ambiance and unique lighting features ... but the one time that we tried to get on Astro Orbiter to watch the fireworks, it was a bust. The line was full of people trying to do the same thing and by the time we got on board the show was long over. It was a few years ago so it might not be the same, but I also found the CM's at that time of night to be a bit tired and lackadaisical, and the little webbed lap belts to be very worn-out and slack. What with the long wait, missing the fireworks and worrying about the kids' lap belts, riding AO at night wasn't a big highlight for me. If you have a lot of time though and you visit on multiple nights, and you can just chill out then I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Oh yeah and the teacups are fun at night because if you just sit still and stare ahead, all the lights whirl past your eyes like a jet-powered kaleidoscope.

My DW and I occasionally do Splash Mountain during the parade and Orbiter during fireworks. Both offer neat views and short wait times.

I second the Astro Orbiter. Totally cool at night. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever been on it during the day!

this can be timed so you can see fireworks

For me nothing beats the brief view from the top of SPlash Mountain at night, with the castle, space mountain, and the contemporary all lit up and right in front of you.

BTMR and Jungle cruise are also great night time experiences to ride.

If it's just a matter of looking at things, not riding, then the Carossel is beautifull, and I also love the orange upward waterfall at the Imagination pavillion in Epcot :)

I was lucky enough last year to ride EE after 6:00 in November and it was an experience i will never forget! And, with the park virtually empty, i was able to ride it six times! If you ever get the chance to catch the park open after it gets dark make riding EE a must!

In DHS, the Q for ToT becomes quite chillingly atmospheric.

And in MK, timing Splash with the fireworks makes my favorite even more special. TTA is quite romantic if shared with your significant other (this november im making my first soli after my divorce but im sure TTA will be extremely relaxing and a great chance to see the park all lit up for the holidays). HM, especially its Q, takes on a sense of delightful menace. But the MK that gets the biggest bump at night is BTM. I never ride it during the day because its just too slow and disappointing for me. But at night it becomes an outdoor space mountain and a sliw ride suddenly becomes thrilling.

While not an attraction, I enjoy walking around world showcase right after illuminations or during evening EMH. It is so quiet, relaxing and serene.

one time it was about 8:00 at Epcot and my dad and a few friends noticed it was only 20 minutes for Test Track stand bye( it had been over an hour the whole day and we had rode it like 5 times each but all single rider) but when we went out it was bright as day... then when you're about to go outside with the bright lights, everybody closed their eyes, but when we got out there it was so dark and the track was lit up, the ball was lit up and everything in sight was bright as we were going 65 it was the best night ride for me ever... thats a must try for people who like Test Track, when it comes back in November( hopfully sooner)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter