Which AP? Premier or Preferred?

Harmony

DIS Veteran
What's the difference? Is one 'better' than the other?

We are a family of 5, staying at RPR for 4nights/5days. TIA! :goodvibes

If you're only going for 5 days why would you need either? A one week ticket will be fine for you unless you plan on coming back a few more times in the next year.

I guess it depends on what your future vacation plans are. If you are only going this one time and won't be back till next year or longer, you don't need 5 premiers or preferred. You could get away with 4 power passes/or park tickets good for 7 days, and maybe one preferred or premier for the discounts you can get on rooms and dining/merchandise. If you have a good rate on a room, and AAA you don't need any preferred or premier passes because you can get dining/merch discounts with AAA. It would be much cheaper to go with a 7 day park ticket since they are only $99. :confused3

Power
$149.99
Flexible Payment Option
Blackout Dates
Free admission to select special events (i.e. Mardi Gras)

Preferred
$229.99
Flexible Payment Option
365 days of unlimited park to park admission
Free self-parking
Discounts on food (select restaurants within theme parks) 10%
Discounts on merchandise (within theme parks) 10%
Discounts on VIP Tours 10%
Discount on Blue Man Group Tickets 10%
Discounts on food & merchandise at CityWalk
Discount on movies at the Universal Cineplex
Up to 30% off onsite hotel room rates
Discount on Wet N' Wild admission

Premier
$289.99
No Flexible Payment Option
Free valet & preferred self-parking
Free (non-peak night) ticket to Halloween Horror Nights*
Discounts on food (select restaurants within theme parks) 15%
Discounts on merchandise (within theme parks) 20%
Free CityWalk club access
Complimentary room upgrade* & $50 suite upgrade* & Free access to on-site hotel fitness centers
Unlimited Universal Express PlusSM after 4:00pm
8 Free bottles of Zephyrhills water

I guess it depends on what your future vacation plans are. If you are only going this one time and won't be back till next year or longer, you don't need 5 premiers or preferred. You could get away with 4 power passes/or park tickets good for 7 days, and maybe one preferred or premier for the discounts you can get on rooms and dining/merchandise. If you have a good rate on a room, and AAA you don't need any preferred or premier passes because you can get dining/merch discounts with AAA. It would be much cheaper to go with a 7 day park ticket since they are only $99. :confused3

Power
$149.99
Flexible Payment Option
Blackout Dates

Preferred
$229.99
Flexible Payment Option
Free self-parking
Discounts on food (select restaurants within theme parks) 10%
Discounts on merchandise (within theme parks) 10%
Discount on Wet N' Wild admission

Premier
$289.99
No Flexible Payment Option
Free valet & preferred self-parking
Free (non-peak night) ticket to Halloween Horror Nights*
Discounts on food (select restaurants within theme parks) 15%
Discounts on merchandise (within theme parks) 20%
Free CityWalk club access
Complimentary room upgrade* & $50 suite upgrade* & Free access to on-site hotel fitness centers
Unlimited Universal Express PlusSM after 4:00pm
8 Free bottles of Zephyrhills water

Sorry Tizzy.You typed alot of info,where I just gave links..
I should of looked back further in the thread.I didnt mean to over ride Ya!!

No problem, I actually had it saved on notepad for my own use. I was trying to figure out which passes to go for myself. :rolleyes1

If you're only going for 5 days why would you need either? A one week ticket will be fine for you unless you plan on coming back a few more times in the next year.
That's what I'm thinking and if you have a AAA card, you can get discounts at shops and restaurants w/o having to purchase an annual pass.

That's what I'm thinking and if you have a AAA card, you can get discounts at shops and restaurants w/o having to purchase an annual pass.

I don't have an AAA and the savings and the AP savings on the resort is a good deal! So we are doing it for the resort savings (main reason), merchandise and food discounts. :thumbsup2

Also, we might go back to Florida in Dec. and if we have an AP we might just stop over at Universal. ;)

Also, we might go back to Florida in Dec. and if we have an AP we might just stop over at Universal. ;)

I call this vacation insurance. When we have APs we're sure to get at least one more vacation out of them. :thumbsup2 This will work especially well for next year when HP opens (hopefully by August, 2010).

We usually visit at non-peak times so we get one Preferred AP (for parking and restaurant discounts) and the rest Power Passes. No need to pay the extra $80 x 5 passes for us when we only need one that has parking and discounts. Maybe something similar would work for you?

I call this vacation insurance. When we have APs we're sure to get at least one more vacation out of them. :thumbsup2 This will work especially well for next year when HP opens (hopefully by August, 2010).

We usually visit at non-peak times so we get one Preferred AP (for parking and restaurant discounts) and the rest Power Passes. No need to pay the extra $80 x 5 passes for us when we only need one that has parking and discounts. Maybe something similar would work for you?

That's our plan! :cool1:

Quick question: If you buy an AP they are good for one year from the date of purchase...correct? Or am I wrong to assume that?

We usually visit at non-peak times so we get one Preferred AP (for parking and restaurant discounts) and the rest Power Passes. No need to pay the extra $80 x 5 passes for us when we only need one that has parking and discounts.
That's what I would do as well...just get the one so you can get the discounts. Just remember...you will have to pay for parking on the first visit but after the AP is actually issued...you won't.

Quick question: If you buy an AP they are good for one year from the date of purchase...correct? Or am I wrong to assume that?
::yes::

Just remember...you will have to pay for parking on the first visit but after the AP is actually issued...you won't.

But we aren't using a vehicle. We are flying into MCO and taking a shuttle to Royal Pacific. We figured we wouldn't need a car. We thought about it but really, we have no plans to leave the Universal area.

Should we still consider a rental?

We will be there from Aug 11-Aug 15th and taking a shuttle to and from the resort. Last year, the shuttle we took cost us $50 so in total, it'll be approx. $100. If we use a rental, the approx. cost of that is over $200.

But we aren't using a vehicle. We are flying into MCO and taking a shuttle to Royal Pacific. We figured we wouldn't need a car. We thought about it but really, we have no plans to leave the Universal area.
That's fine...just wanted to remind everyone free parking doesn't take affect until after the AP is issued...lots of people don't realize that.

That's our plan! :cool1:

Most APs are good for a year from the activation date instead of a purchase date. So an AP purchased in May but not used until September would be good up to the September of the following year. If an AP is renewed, the new expiration date will be one year from the current expiration date, except if the renewal included a special offer to extend the expiration date.

However, there are some exceptions to this. A Florida Resident Season Pass expires on Dec. 31 of the current year. Special offers are sometimes offered on APs that will include additional months for free but usually have activation restrictions.

Should we still consider a rental?

We will be there from Aug 11-Aug 15th and taking a shuttle to and from the resort. Last year, the shuttle we took cost us $50 so in total, it'll be approx. $100. If we use a rental, the approx. cost of that is over $200.

What you might want to consider is a town car service instead. Most towncar services will run about $100 roundtrip, more if a bigger vehicle is required because of large group sizes. Most town car services also offer a free grocery stop between the airport and the hotel.

That's what I would do as well...just get the one so you can get the discounts. Just remember...you will have to pay for parking on the first visit but after the AP is actually issued...you won't.

::yes::

You can easily get around that initial parking fee. I've explained it before, perhaps they should make a sticky called How To Get Your Annual Pass Without Having To Pay For Parking

There is a passenger drop off point off of Universal Boulevard, it's also where buses park and valet parking. Go there, drop one AP recipient off. Let them walk in, get their pass and come back. Take your new AP, go to parking and enjoy your day :banana:

Most times you can park there, run in and get back without having to leave and circle around, or you can just wait in there for the one person to come back. I've never been hassled by the attendants, never had my car towed or anything evil like that. It's easy, quick and saves you $12

What you might want to consider is a town car service instead. Most towncar services will run about $100 roundtrip, more if a bigger vehicle is required because of large group sizes. Most town car services also offer a free grocery stop between the airport and the hotel.

Can you recommend someone for the Towncar service?

BTW...I did call Universal this afternoon and according to the one I spoke to, the AP will be good for one year *from* the date of purchase so she recommended I wait until we arrive for me to purchase the tickets.

BTW...I did call Universal this afternoon and according to the one I spoke to, the AP will be good for one year *from* the date of purchase so she recommended I wait until we arrive for me to purchase the tickets.
That's what I thought. The tickets are good from date of activation but not the annual passes.

I wonder if this has changed since March? I submitted this very question to Universal guest services and received a call back. I was told that I could purchase my Annual passes at any time and the clock would not start to tick on them until after I had activated them. I was told if I bought AP in March of this year I could hang on to the voucher and when I activated it at the parks the expiration would then be a year from that date.

Can you recommend someone for the Towncar service?

I've used both Happy Limo and Murray Hill in the past. When we used Murray Hill, the chauever was suppose to meet us at the bottom of the escalator with our name on a sign, but he was late and we didn't meet him until after we had retrieved our luggage. With Happy Limo, you call their customer service after retrieving your luggage, and they'll instruct you which curb to wait at. Some waits have been 5 minutes, but one wait was about 25 minutes. For our October trip, we will be using FL Tours.

I wonder if this has changed since March? I submitted this very question to Universal guest services and received a call back. I was told that I could purchase my Annual passes at any time and the clock would not start to tick on them until after I had activated them. I was told if I bought AP in March of this year I could hang on to the voucher and when I activated it at the parks the expiration would then be a year from that date.

In the past, the expiration date was good from date of activation instead of purchase date. There are some exceptions, for example, when we originally purchased our preferred AP in 2004, they had a special BOGO year promotion. Although we purchased it in May for an October trip, it had a mandatory June 30 activation date if not activated prior to that date. So when we picked up the APs in October, the expiration date was for June 30, 2006.

Hopefully, they haven't changed that policy concerning the expiration date based off of the activation date. PAPs purchased with Flex pay indicated that the expiration date was based off the activation date. I would hope that would apply to PAPs purchased without the Flex pay option. I've sent Universal an email asking for the expiration date answer.

Edit: Good morning, everyone! I received a call from Universal this morning, stating that AP expiration date is based off of the first use date!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter