• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which annual pass?

ashley0139

DIS Veteran
I just moved to SoCal like yesterday (no, literally) and of course the first thing I am thinking about is DISNEYLAND!! I am so excited for my very first trip there (many times to WDW). I'm even thinking about heading to Downtown Disney today or tomorrow just to take it all in (do you have to pay for parking in Downtown Disney?). Anyway, the blackout dates of the annual passes seems to me to not make much sense. What's the point if I can't go on weekends or at all during the summer? But $650 for the premiere is just so much money. So, if you live in the area, what kind do you have? And do you like it?

I'm a CM so I don't do the AP's anymore but when I did, I always did the Deluxe. As a SoCal resident before working at DLR it made the most sense. The bloackout dates for the Deluxe are generally on the busier days of the year. Days you probably don't want to really spend much time there anyways. But the price difference if you plan on going a fair amount is minor. You gotta figure the Deluxe is $469 + $120 (The parking package is a must!) so you're looking at $589. Personally I'd spend the extra $60 since the Premium comes with parking as it is and I'm pretty sure the discount percentage goes up w/ premium as well. And the ability to go on Xmas day and see the parade first hand is worth the extra $60 in itself :)

And as far as Downtown Disney goes, you get 3 hours of parking for free. If you eat at a table service restaurant or see a movie @ AMC, you can have your ticket validated for an additional 2 hours. Other than that they charge $6/hour to a maximum of $30.

my wife and i live in washington state. we were there in december of 2012, we are going back feb 2013, and dec 2013. when we were there in dec we bought the primere annual pass. went went from christmas to new years eve. yes the pass is $700, but your discounts are better for it, like the cast memember said parking is included. the 3 trips equal about 19 days in the parks. so if a 1 day park hopper pass is $120 a day, i believethe expensive pass pays for its self. even after our first trip in dec that was 7 days the pass paid for itself. and with that pass you get 20% off merchadise, and 15% off food at the park. as much as we buy at the park, we saved so far with the discounts around $300. without the pass we would have to pay that much more out of our pocket when we bought the merchandise. if you live close by, and if you can afford it, and depends on how many days you wanna go to the park, the premium one might be worth it. and just remember now that you moved to southern california, they have the monthly payment plans for the peolple of california to. so that might be something else for you to think about.

What's the point if I can't go on weekends or at all during the summer? But $650 for the premiere is just so much money. So, if you live in the area, what kind do you have? And do you like it?
I don't like to go on the weekends or during the summer. But we each
have our own needs. I think it's great they Disney has offered several
choices at different price levels. Clearly you need a pass that allows
weekends and summer. I have the Southern California one and I love
it! It's perfect for my visiting habits - no Saturdays when I can't go
anyway and no July and most of August when it's just to busy for me
to enjoy the day. Since I work on weekends (as a stagehand we do
four shows) I usually get the Southern California Select and that one
was good for me, too. I think when my current one expires (in June)
I'll go back to the SoCalSelect.

How often to you think you'll go?

I just moved to SoCal like yesterday (no, literally) and of course the first thing I am thinking about is DISNEYLAND!! I am so excited for my very first trip there (many times to WDW). I'm even thinking about heading to Downtown Disney today or tomorrow just to take it all in (do you have to pay for parking in Downtown Disney?). Anyway, the blackout dates of the annual passes seems to me to not make much sense. What's the point if I can't go on weekends or at all during the summer? But $650 for the premiere is just so much money. So, if you live in the area, what kind do you have? And do you like it?

Welcome to So Cal! DH and I often drop by DLR for an evening of unwinding after work. You will love being close.

Parking at DtD is free for three hours or for five hours with validation from a restaurant in DtD or the movie theatre there. Otherwise it does cost.

If you want to go to DL and DCA any day, without having to worry about blockout dates ever, the Premium Pass is your way to go. The Deluxe is a nice second choice, but as you noted, it does have some significant blockout dates. It also does not include parking, although you can add parking for an additional fee. Also remember that the Premium does include parking in the Mickey and Friends parking garage for your entire year as well. (Otherwise it costs $15/day.)

One thing you may want to consider doing is buying a Deluxe pass with the additional cost to add parking. Then, if you find yourself really wanting to go on blockout days, upgrade.

HTH,
Dreams

P.S. Just to make sure you are looking at the right pass, Premium is for DLR. The Premiere that you mentioned above gets you into all Parks at BOTH DLR and WDW. :goodvibes

If you need a pass to go weekends and summers, you might as well spring $60 to go from Deluxe+Parking to Premium.

Unless your walking distance or plan on taking a bus there all the time, you absolutely want the parking pass.

I do the Premium - I don't like being restricted as to when I can go, and frankly I still think it's a great deal. I go 2-3 times a month, so around $18-25/visit at the new price. It cost about the same as going to a bar for some drinks or a casual resturaunt for dinner.

I don't think anyone who replied here read my post :)

Sure they did, can't we make a new post to say the same thing? I agree with you and before I read that ^ I was going to say "just buy the Premium, you'll want the Deluxe + parking and the Premium is only $60 more".......

OP seriously, just get the Premium, if the $650 up front is too much do the monthly payment plan, just need to prove you are a CA resident to get that. :)

seFirst, decide on your budget. And remember that you will be buying things in the park. You will get hungry and the snacks you bring with you probably won't be enough.
One easy way to do it, is to buy a So Cal Select AP. Use the first day on a blockout day. Then if you want to go in the summer... upgrade to a regular So Cal for just $60 and they let you in on that blockout day too!. So now you will have already used your pass on two blockout days. You may see at that time that the park is usually very crowded on blockout days anyway and just keep the so cal regular pass.
I've done it this way and did not add parking. Downtown Disney parking for 3 hours is good for an evening but it does get tiring rushing back to the car to avoid a parking fee. But you can do an extra hour for just $6. Recently we went to see a movie, received the 2 extra hours for validation... then enjoyed Disneyland. No parking fee and it was a great date-night! Very affordable.
You may find that when you have an AP you really don't want to spend all day at the park anyway. This happened to me.
It is great to have a AP though.. you will see the park at all the seasons and holidays.
But regardless.... just do it!

I've done it this way and did not add parking. Downtown Disney parking for 3 hours is good for an evening but it does get tiring rushing back to the car to avoid a parking fee. But you can do an extra hour for just $6. Recently we went to see a movie, received the 2 extra hours for validation... then enjoyed Disneyland. No parking fee and it was a great date-night! Very affordable.

This is why it is so difficult to find parking at DtD when one actually wants to use the DtD parking as it was intended, for shopping, dining, and entertainment while in DtD.:headache:

If you are going into the Park(s) use the theme park parking lots and structures!

This is why it is so difficult to find parking at DtD when one actually wants to use the DtD parking as it was intended, for shopping, dining, and entertainment while in DtD.:headache:

If you are going into the Park(s) use the theme park parking lots and structures!

Well, what if you want to go into the parks but not stay for the whole day? $15 is a pretty penny if you only want to pop in for a few hours. Maybe to relieve this, Disney could set up a few spots that were blocked off for hourly parking or so? Or add hourly pricing to the whole day pricing? Something that's a fraction cheaper than DTD to curb people from taking that route. Just a suggestion that probably will never be implemented xD

Thanks for all the replies! Of course I did mean premium and not premiere. I'll get those terms down! I actually but the bullet and drove down to DtD today to have a late lunch and look around. At earl of sandwich right now!

Anyway, maybe I'll start with one of the lower ones and see if I use it as much as I think/hope I will and then upgrade. The parking and extra discounts are definitely tempting. It's hard to justify spending that kind of money but its good to know people think its worth it.

Already have the tickets and plans to go with my best friend on feb 8. So excited!!!

The pass level really depends on how YOU think you will use your pass. Of course premium is awesome. No blackout dates, parking, food and merchandise discounts. But it is pricey.

Last time we renewed we took a serious look at how we go. For the most part we went on Sundays and have found that the summers are just too crowded and uncomfortably hot. We didn't go often enough that parking would be beneficial. So we downgraded to the SoCal pass. Still get 10% off dining but only get that one time discount on shopping.

My advise is to seriously look at how and when you will go.

Well, what if you want to go into the parks but not stay for the whole day? $15 is a pretty penny if you only want to pop in for a few hours. Maybe to relieve this, Disney could set up a few spots that were blocked off for hourly parking or so? Or add hourly pricing to the whole day pricing? Something that's a fraction cheaper than DTD to curb people from taking that route. Just a suggestion that probably will never be implemented xD

Maybe they should set that up. But they have not set it up that way. And by doing what you are doing you are breaking the rules (there are signs everywhere forbidding this practice) and putting other people at a hardship.

It is what it is.

Maybe they should set that up. But they have not set it up that way. And by doing what you are doing you are breaking the rules (there are signs everywhere forbidding this practice) and putting other people at a hardship.

It is what it is.

Not to get into a whole debate about this, but this may be going the same way as the FPs. Some CMs say that it's fine to do this, Disney signs say otherwise. Same thing with FPs, some CMs say it's fine to come later, Disney FPs say otherwise.

Personally, I don't use the DTD parking lots because I come from too far away to only stay in the parks for 3 hours :).

Welcome to SoCal!! :)

As for the type of pass to get, it really depends on where you live, your work schedule, etc etc.

We've had SoCal passes for 4 years, and we've loved them! We lived 15 minutes away, so we went a lot. We went on Sundays, Friday nights, etc. It's been wonderful! We did miss it during the summer, but it wasn't TOO long to go without. We don't want to go during Christmas break, holiday weekends, etc anyway - those are way too crazy for us!!! What we did hate was not having Saturdays, but that was just something we got used to.

Then I got a job as a teacher and we moved an hour away from DLR, so we're upgrading to Deluxe this year. SoCal doesn't work anymore. I would rather go Saturdays than Sundays, the traffic is too bad to go Friday nights, and now my vacations are almost all during blockout days!

It is true that Deluxe+Parking is not much different than Premium for one person. Since there are two of us and we only put parking on one pass, the price difference is too big. (P.s. you REALLY do need to get the parking! If you go 10 times it pays for it, and if you're like us, you WILL go way more than 10 times a year!)

I know a lot of people have SoCal Select but we've never been able to do that. Our school/work schedules have never permitted many weekday visits at all, other than Friday nights.

Monthly payments are a GREAT option for So Cal residents, by the way! :)

I don't think anyone who replied here read my post :)

I wonder if this is the same Steamboat on DPF?! I will go find your post and reply.

But for the OP, one thing to remember about the Premium is that it includes parking for every single day of the year. If you add parking to any of the other passes, the parking is only good on the days the pass itself isn't blocked out. So, if you want to be in the area, park in the structure and spend more than 5 hours in DTD relaxing, watching movies, walking to Anaheim Convention Center, etc. the Premium is probably the way to go

Steamboat Philly said:
I'm a CM so I don't do the AP's anymore but when I did, I always did the Deluxe. As a SoCal resident before working at DLR it made the most sense. The bloackout dates for the Deluxe are generally on the busier days of the year. Days you probably don't want to really spend much time there anyways. But the price difference if you plan on going a fair amount is minor. You gotta figure the Deluxe is $469 + $120 (The parking package is a must!) so you're looking at $589. Personally I'd spend the extra $60 since the Premium comes with parking as it is and I'm pretty sure the discount percentage goes up w/ premium as well. And the ability to go on Xmas day and see the parade first hand is worth the extra $60 in itself :)

Uhm, no. The Christmas parade is not filmed on Christmas day. It'a actually filmed in early November. We were there for the filming in 2011 and it was November 5.

Not to get into a whole debate about this, but this may be going the same way as the FPs. Some CMs say that it's fine to do this, Disney signs say otherwise. Same thing with FPs, some CMs say it's fine to come later, Disney FPs say otherwise.

Personally, I don't use the DTD parking lots because I come from too far away to only stay in the parks for 3 hours :).

There is no debate.

It isn't anything like FP, and any CM that has told you it is fine to park in DtD, which I doubt has ever happened, was completely mistaken.

There are a finite number of parking spaces for shopping, dining and entertainment at DtD. Disney does not want you parking there to go to the Park.

If you choose to use these parking spaces for going to the park you are being selfish and self entitled.

To come to this discussion board and say this is an acceptable practice and encourage more people to do this is against the terms of this board and totally irresponsible.

And I can only explain this so many times, I cannot help you to understand it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter