• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which airlines are now charging for suitcases?

alohamom

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know which ones are charging and which are not? We just flew Delta and thankfully it was just under the wire for the deadline date for charging but I would have been steamed :mad: if we would have had to pay the 15 bucks a bag! I just want to have a list so I know who to fly and who not to!!!I realize it can change but want to be informed, thanks in advance guys....

Airtran, American Airlines, Continental, Delta, Spirit and US Airways all charge $15.00 for first bag and $25.00 for second bag.

United charges $15 for first bag and $50.00 for second bag.

Jetblue charges $0.00 for first bag and $20.00 for second bag.

Southwest charges $0.00 for first and $0.00 second bag.

I got this information from Cheaptickets.com.

PS I'm pretty sure that Air Canada lets you check 2 bags for free.

If you are flying to the US from Canada on Delta they allow 2 free bags still I believe.

Unfortunately, according to cheaptickets.com first bag baggage fees are now $15.00 for Canadian flights as well on Delta.

Thanks so much! It might seem petty to some of you guys but it really cheeses me off because the price of oil has come down and I know that is the excuse they used to initiate these fees.

Hey, I certainly don't think it's petty. For a family of four: $15 x 4 equals $60 one way plus another $60 home is an extra $120.00 total and that's just for one bag each! I will be finding a way to pack extra efficiently in the future. At least I'll try. I've never been very good at traveling light.

Do they charge this extra baggage fee when you purchase your ticket or when you are checking in?

Never been on a plane before.

Well I just booked two flights, one with Delta and one with United. At no time while I was booking online was I asked how many bags I was checking so I am assuming that we will have to pay at the airport.

This will be my first time paying a baggage fee.

They have set it up so that they can charge as you are checking in because you may claim a certain amount of suitcases when you first purchase but that could change when you get to the airport. I am sure travel agents may eventually do a pre pay type thing but I don't usually go thru them. We went thru the electronic check in at Buf/Honolulu and both times the screen gave you the option of how many bags to check in @ 15/25/etc...There was a checking agent to help as well...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter