Whew!!! Teachers ok with taking kids out of school!!

lwartberg

Mouseketeer
We had Open House yesterday at school for my DD6 (1st grade) and DS11 (5th grade). During the 1st grade intro the teacher starts telling us how important it is that the kids come EVERY day to school, as this rellay starts their educational career! :eek: All I could think about was "oh no!! Our Disney trip in September!!":scared: :eek:

As everyone was leaving, I decided to introduce myself to her, and explain that I am a horrible parent, that we have a family trip planned for Sept, and that the kids will be out for 4 days (they already had 1 day off from school, just worked out that way!) To my amazement she said that a family vacation was very important and asked where we were going. When i told her Disney, she got all excited!!:eek: :confused: :laughing: She said it will be great weather, small crowds, and with a deal like Free Dining we couldn't pass it up!!

:woohoo: :yay: Ds teacher said the exact same thing!! She said all we need to do was make sure he kept up with his reading:woohoo: :yay:

Whew!! Glad thats over!!

Hoping for a similar positive reaction when my DD(7) starts school next week. But still going in any case. Be prepared for some strong reactions/opinions to this post. Just wanted to give you a heads up;)

I sent THE note to school today. I'm anxious for DS to get home and see if there is a repsonse.

Last week he had surgery that led to some complications. I took him to the doctor early this morning and she said he was doing great.... and she gave us her blessing to continue with our WDW trip in 2 weeks. (Although we'll have to carry a small pharmacy in our bags!)

Everything was hindging on clearance from the doctor...... but now I'm nervous waiting for a response from the school.

As a teacher, I think the timing of a trip is important. Sure we want the kids in class and they do run the risk of falling behind, but family time is important too. From experience.. early in the school year, close to the end of the school year, and around the holidays are the best times. IMO.

GLad to hear it went well and the teacher was understanding!

I'm glad to hear about your experiences. I'm still in a quandry, though. Planned a quick getaway WE in October so DD6 would only miss one day (has off Thurs, will miss Fri). Although school allows for "educational vacations", not sure if WDW qualifies. Don't want to lie. Don't want to send wrong message to my kids. Don't want DD to have an unexcused absence. Fun family WE but feel like a bad parent.:confused3

:yay: :yay: :yay:

I know that parents make their own decisions about family vacation but it makes things so much easier when you don't get hassle from the school.

You all have a great time.

I sent THE note to school today. I'm anxious for DS to get home and see if there is a repsonse.

Last week he had surgery that led to some complications. I took him to the doctor early this morning and she said he was doing great.... and she gave us her blessing to continue with our WDW trip in 2 weeks. (Although we'll have to carry a small pharmacy in our bags!)

Everything was hindging on clearance from the doctor...... but now I'm nervous waiting for a response from the school.

Hey Mightymom,

From being all over the Dis boards, I see you a lot, and you do a lot of fighting for your son. I really hope that there are no more problems, from school, health, or any other reasons, that interfere with your families vacation. I hope you and your have a MAGICAL vacation!:wizard: :goodvibes

Lisa

Great News!!!

I actually told the Principal first and she was so excited for us, wishing us a great vacation. When I told the teacher she was the same. I already have our form filled out and now we just need the 12th of Sept to come. Hopefully, the hurricanes are gone by them. I am really worried.

We told my ds (7) teacher last week at meet the teacher - she said that she would ask the principal if the whole class could go as a field trip. I was worried that it wouldn't be so easy. I am happy to report though, that he will be given alot of work to do while we are gone - I want him to stay on the same track as his classmates. I am already waiting for the letter home from the Board of Ed though - since he will be missing 5 days, we are going to get a "counseling letter". I am ready for that though - he has not missed a day in either kinderg or 1st grade and both years it went unnoticed - he misses 5 days and they act as though he is a heap of trouble.

YEAH! The teacher was cool with it! We had our ope houses ad DS teacher is a big Disney fan and was excited for him! DD teacher seemed fine with it too! YIPPEE!

My kids are missing the first 6 days of school. I was dreading going to their open houses, but everything was just fine. Whew! That sure gives me less to worry about :) Glad everything went well for you too OP!

I feel like a bad mother, my kids are missing 2weeks of school (10 days)
We start Sept 4th, so hopefully everything will be OK. I already email the vice principal and she said "enjoy you trip"
so hopefully the teacher will be the same
keep my fingers crossed

Hey Mightymom,

From being all over the Dis boards, I see you a lot, and you do a lot of fighting for your son. I really hope that there are no more problems, from school, health, or any other reasons, that interfere with your families vacation. I hope you and your have a MAGICAL vacation!:wizard: :goodvibes

Lisa

Thank you! It's always nice to get a pat on the back. ;)
Our family really needs a magical vacation. Everything is slowly falling into place.
Thanks again... it means a lot to me.

Last year, I took DD out of school in Feb for 5 days to go to WDW. The teacher and principal were great. The last week the teacher would tell DD that she could only go to WDW if she snuck the teacher in her suitcase.

We also took niece and nephew with us. They had to miss 6 days. My sister talked to both schools. No problems there either!

Hope everyone has fun!

Mightymom,
I have read many of your posts. I hope you don't have any problems with the school. It seems like your son needs a little bit of joy. This is coming from a special educator who is now in central administration.:hug:

Thank you! It's always nice to get a pat on the back. ;)
Our family really needs a magical vacation. Everything is slowly falling into place.
Thanks again... it means a lot to me.

:goodvibes

Wow... congrats! Must've made you feel so much better to have their approval.

I'm in the same boat. School starts here on Tuesday (day after Labor Day) and our trip starts on 9/27. I have my fingers crossed that my sons' teachers are also okay with our trip!

Have a great trip. :wizard:

Slightly off topic but I had to share this. I was eating lunch yesterday with the counselors at our school. Yesterday was the end of the first grading period. We have to turn in grades next week to go on report cards. We get report cards every 4-5 weeks--four per semester.

They were commenting on three students who were enrolling THAT DAY :scared1: . These students have not been in school since LAST SPRING:scared1: :scared1: . So they have NO transfer grades. So they have to MAKE UP the work for an entire grading period.:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: By board policy, they have a week. I think I might give a little more time. But fortunately they are not in my class. I would hate to have to make up that much work.:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

honestly, why do you even care what the teachers think? I used to be a teacher, and i am still a mom, this is my child and our vacation. If the teacher or school does not approve, will you cancel your trip?

Letting the school know about your vacation can be a little daunting. We've lived all over the country and each district has had their own policies on the matter.
Our family time is very important to us, so I try to plan a trip around my son missing the least amount of work, or tests.
This year (Nov.) my Dh returns from a 15 month deployment. We are taking our kids and grands to WDW for a week, (Jan 2-9). My daughter will not miss any college classes, as school is closed until Jan. 19, and my son will miss 1 week, following his xmas break.
Honestly, the school is very supportive of the military families in the area. My son is in 8th grade and a pretty good student when he tries. I'm hoping that the trip with his Dad will inspire him to put forth more effort.
Dh spends so much time away that we have to fit in a trip when & where we can.............

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter