Where ya' camping this weekend?

phillymummer

DIS Veteran
Hello DISers!

Is anyone camping Columbus day weekend? This weekend has become a camping tradition for my family. Our camping adventures started Columbus weekend in 2012. My hubby and I camped when we were young (Boy/Girl Scouts) and in college but didn't start again as a family until 2012.

We will be at Green Lane State Park in SE PA. That is of course..... if Hurricane Matthew does not hit us. Our last camping trip over labor day weekend was canceled due to a hurricane. >:( I told my hubby that I do not care if I sleep in the truck.... we will be at that campground!!!

I wish I had pics from previous trips, but I have learned recently that I am woefully lacking in campsite pictures. I hope to rectify that this weekend!

So post about your upcoming camping adventures!

~PM

Will be at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, AL from 7th-12th. Site 61 supposedly. Looks like great weather according to the forecast so far.

We were actually supposed to be at a local campground right now. Since we have a four day weekend due to Rosh Hashanah, we reserved a site at Smithpoint Campground which is on the beach here on Long Island. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate and we decided that we really didn't want to be sitting outside in the damp, misty cold or inside the camper all weekend with three kids and the dog. The county park got our $130 "donation" and we probably won't get out for another trip until next spring. :( Oh well. Instead, I've been going through old threads here on the camping forum. One good thing to come out of it was learning about the Anchor Down Campground mentioned by North of Mouse on one of the threads. We've been thinking of a trip to the Smokies for next summer and this might be the place.:goodvibes

That is of course..... if Hurricane Matthew does not hit us. Our last camping trip over labor day weekend was canceled due to a hurricane. >:(

I hear that....our Labor Day trip went off all right in end (Normandy Farms Campground in Foxboro, MA), but it was a week of worrying about how the storm would go. Now same for this week....ugh. Barring a storm cancellation, will be at Nelson's Family Campground here in CT for Columbus Day weekend. My cousin's family seasonal there and they have Halloween with trick or treating for the kids. Lot of people really go all out with the decorating...a lot of "adult" treats along the way as well, too (usually). So, will be hoping for good weather. Happy camping all...last time out for us til spring :sad:

Will be at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, AL from 7th-12th. Site 61 supposedly. Looks like great weather according to the forecast so far.

tiggerdad, this time of year is absolutely BEAUTIFUL at Gulf. Hope you and the family have a great trip.

I'll be at Salt Fork State Park in Ohio about 90 minutes east of Columbus over the weekend.

Bama Ed

tiggerdad, this time of year is absolutely BEAUTIFUL at Gulf. Hope you and the family have a great trip.

I'll be at Salt Fork State Park in Ohio about 90 minutes east of Columbus over the weekend.

Bama Ed

Good deal. You guys be careful in your travels. I'll post up some pics as I go.

Camping in Bayshore County Park north of Green Bay, then Lambeau Field Sunday evening for the Packers vs. Giants game. Long cooler weekend, but fun time.

I'll be in my Outhouse model tent in Blackiston Wildlife area Delaware checking out cal Wildlife with my shoulder held 3x9 telescope

Sadly, I'll be home. Dropped the trailer at the factory on Sunday and it doesn't look like I'll have it back until the 21st.

j

Well sadly, I will not be camping, but I will be in the Great Outdoors. Archery Hunting season started Last Saturday. I will be in the woods this weekend.

I'm all set up at Salt Fork State Park in Ohio about 90 miles east of Columbus, Ohio. This is a big extended family get-together so I brought my brother and mom/dad. They are staying in my Aliner and my brother and I are in a canvas tent on cots with electric blankets. Here is my set up:

A side benefit of this trip is that I can also do a lot of good working with the indigenous people here locally bringing a message of joy and love. I consider this trip a mission of mercy. They need serious help.

As you might guess, my low profile and subtle setup at my campsite has drawn some comments indicating the serious nature of their needs. I'm here to help.

Bama Ed

Good looking set up Ed. Really like the canvas tent. You know the Big 10 loves seeing the SEC invade their turf. I think it is great that you camp with your parents. We used to camp as a family all the time years ago when my parents were younger. Health issues have made that a little more difficult. I would love to take them to the Fort and I know that they would enjoy the Fort immensely. The 14 hour drive is a little tough for them. They are always excited to see the rest of the pictures when we get home.
Have a great time and safe travels to you and your family.
GO CATS.......ROLL TIDE.......GO SEC!!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Steve

BamaEd I feel your pain brother. Living here i Pigeon territory preaching the Gospel of The G MEN from the book of St Wellington of Marra is like being in the land of the Philistines

Now that we seem to be in the clear, with the exception of some rain, we are all set to go! Hubby and his parents are heading to the campsite early in the afternoon to set up. The DD and I will arrive at camp around dinnertime (she is camping with her girl scout troop tonight). I'll take a pics of our set up.

Here is today's update.

This morning I set off on one of my two "interesting" things for this trip. That was a visit to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio which is only 75 minutes from where I am camping.

Having been to the HoF about 20 years ago, the slant on this visit was a Crimson Tide one. Alabama has the 4th most inductees to the HoF and I made sure I found all 8 busts in the Grand Gallery.

Canton is where the NFL was organized in 1920 which is why the HoF is located here. Most pro teams at the time were in the nearby area.

The most recent Bama inductee was from the 2016 class, Kenny Stabler. Snake was awesome!

The afternoon was spent circulating around the campsites visiting family and catching up on news. Some family came in just for the day to visit. The sunset was beautiful.

The highlight of the weekend is the Saturday night campfire. Family, friends and neighbors of family, and anyone here come to watch the spectacle of the campfire. The attraction is the "tube collections". Cardboard tubes of various sizes are banded together and using the Bernoulli effect, the flames/fire shoot so very high. The tubes come from various sources, mostly from the saran wrap used to wrap pallets of goods. They're saved over the year.

The taller the tubes, the taller the flames. The more tubes there are, the more fire there is. They are held together with metal bands - don't worry - several members of the family are firemen.

Light up the night.

Don't try this at home - we are professionals.

I'm standing pretty far back and I can feel the heat.

A big multi-pack about to get fired up.

There are some tube packs that are 4 feet tall perforated with air holes (to feed the fire) but I headed back to watch the Hogs and Bama. The Tide is comfortably in front here 28-7 in the 2nd quarter and A&M beat 10RC in 2 overtimes. So far so good.

Bama Ed

Holy smokes Bama Ed!!!!! I've never seen the tube thing. That is cool in a blazing out of control fire kind of way. I can tell you this........it is now on my camping bucket list. Not sure I will get to try it this camping season as the local campgrounds close at the end of October and I'm pretty sure the Fort would frown upon me doing this on our upcoming trip. Would make for quite a spectacle on Halloween night though.:thumbsup2

When I was coaching football at our local high school, we conducted our summer camp at Camp America right outside Miami University in Oxford Ohio. At that time, the camp was ran by Jay Fry who was a former coach with the New York Giants. When they speak of the Cradle of Coaches, Miami University had their share in the likes of Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes, John Harbaugh, Ara Parseghian and Weeb Eubank who actually came over to speak to our team, just to name a few. Miami University is a beautiful campus.

Last edited:
Holy fire bama ed! That looks awesome. I know what i'm doing next year....

I have a pic of our setup. Yes, we are tent campers. Thats my hubby cooking breakfast. We've had a little rain and it's very windy today but its supposed to get nicer later today.
IMG_2730.jpg

@phillymummer I know it looks kind of simple, but I love your setup. I so much missing camping like that. It's more "Camping" then Glamping. Unfortunately, the DW and Kids are less likely to enjoy the minimalist approach.

All day rain today until about 5:30....at least sun and wind to dry out tomorrow before leaving...lots of candy from trick or treating for the kids yesterday....

@phillymummer I know it looks kind of simple, but I love your setup. I so much missing camping like that. It's more "Camping" then Glamping. Unfortunately, the DW and Kids are less likely to enjoy the minimalist approach.

Thank you! My hubby nicknamed the set up "The Taj Ma-tarp". :laughing: It looks simple, but trust me there is a lot of glamping going on. Inside those tents are air mattresses, quilts, and full size pillows (as opposed to compressible pillows, which I use when overnight kayaking). We also have almost any kitchen utensil you could need, as well as any spice or condiment, a french press coffee maker, coolers full of food and drinks, a hammock, and a radio. :thumbsup2 We may have less comforts than a trailer, but we are definitely NOT minimalist. We upgraded to a full size truck from an SUV just so we could better hold our of our stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter