Where would you travel to if you had 19 days?

momx2

DIS Veteran
My family can travel 19 consecutive days in July 2008. We have never been able to get this much time. Where would you go? We are a family of four, DH, me, two DDs that will be 10 and 7 at that time. We have considered the national parks out west, the coast of Calf., Hawaii or somewhere in Europe. We are not big nature people, like it so much, but I'm afraid my DDs would freak with 2 1/2 weeks of it. So I am leaning toward dropping the national park idea. So, where would you go?

psh disney! :cheer2:
(i think thats what your going to hear most)

are you kidding i would LOVE to be able to stay at disney for that long.

you could like do disney, universal, and sea world
or something like that.

Why don't you try and do the national parks and slip in a "fun day" somewhere in between.
Maybe try and find a Six flags, or DL or something that would give the kids something fun to do inbetween?
I would love to see the national parks, I have always wanted to but can't find anyone to go with me and don't want to do it alone. The Grand Canyon has always been my dream vacation, but I want to stay at the resort that looks like WL, I don't do camping! Peggie

Just go to Disney. Its the only thing that matters:wizard:

If I had 19 days and money were no object, I'd head for Egypt or Tuscany. But with kids of that age, I think that seeing some of the national parks in the west is a great idea. You could see the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, the Rocky Mountains, the Tetons... The possibilities are endless. You could always slip a day or two of themepark into the trip. You could even explore the west coast and add themeparks into the mix there easily.

You could also take a long cruise. Or visit the Caribbean and island hop.

Can I go? ;)

While 19 days at Disney would be fabulous, I think I would probably vote for a road trip.

You could hit a lot of ground in 19 days, pick a direction and start planning. If you decide on the National Parks, there is more than enough to fill the in between days that I don't think you would get tired of it.

You could go via Route 66 if you drive the whole way. I know of someone who took Route 66 a great deal of the way from California to Florida and they seemed to enjoy it.

Europe! Go, go, go!!!! You won't regret it. That is long enough to see so much. Paris, Disneyland Paris, London, Italy, Germany, you could see so much. Kids always do better than people think they will. We take our boys, ages 6,9,11 all over and they always do great.
Have fun planning, whatever you choose!
Katy

I also suggest a road trip. We are doing WDW this summer and most likely a road trip out west next summer. I would love to see the national parks and my kids want to see the ocean. With that much time you don't really have to be on a schedule, just have fun. Stop when you want, go when you want. Just pull out a map and go.

I'd go to Europe - Paris, Prague, Germany, London - you could you a European cruise and hit a lot of major cities depending on where your interested in going. Have you considered doing a trans-atlantic cruise or a trip to Alaska?

Europe! Go, go, go!!!! You won't regret it. That is long enough to see so much. Paris, Disneyland Paris, London, Italy, Germany, you could see so much. Kids always do better than people think they will. We take our boys, ages 6,9,11 all over and they always do great.
Have fun planning, whatever you choose!
Katy

I agree.:thumbsup2

How much money are we talking?:lmao: That matters to me.

Unlimited funds....
Hawaii
London/Europe
Australia
Road Trip across America in a rented RV

Limited funds...
Camping, boating, float tripping, kayaking, Rockies, etc....

I think it is very possible to do Hawaii on a budget. One does not have to stay in a large, expensive resort hotel to enjoy all that Hawaii has to offer. 19 days would afford you the time to see three islands, including the Big Island and Volcano National Park. You could include a couple of days on O'ahu to visit the key points of interest; Pearl Harbor, the Missouri and the Bowfin. You could climb Diamond Head and visit the Polynesian Cultural Center. We would never go to Hawaii without including Maui on our list. Kauai is lovely also. Another wonderful trip we did in 10 days was northern California. We landed in SFO, stayed two nights, went to Sausalito for breakfast, Muir wood, and Napa Valley. From there we spent 3 nights in Yosemite, (loved it), took in the Mariposa Grove of tall trees, drove through Fresno, stayed in Cambria (beautiful) on to San Simeon and the Heart Castle, up through the Big Sur, Monterey, the aquarium in Monterey, saw the cars for the Concourse de Elegance, drove though Santa Cruz, road the coaster and got the flight back home. We also loved Southern Calf. LAX, to Anaheim, Disneyland, Universal, down through Escondido to Wild Animal Park, part of the San Diego Zoo, onto Coronado Island, stayed at the Hotel Del for a couple of nights, onto the Marriott, visited San Diego Zoo, Sea World, the coast line, saw the seals, etc. I would see the USA first.

Scotland!! I've always wanted to stay in a castle in Scotland. I was awarded a $22,000 scholarship to Scotland in 1999 and turned it down because I'd just started a new job at our national newspaper and I'd just started dating my now DH.

I also want to got to Ireland, since Maeve Binchy is my favorite author.

My first thoughts were to island hop in Hawaii or to visit Australia. I've done the island hopping and it is a great time. You get to see most of the major islands of the state.

Good Luck with your trip plans

Do your kids have any special interests you can explore? If they like volcanoes you could check out Hawaii. If they like race cars you could visit Indy. If they like horses you could do a dude ranch. Now is a great time to indulge the kids because in a few years they will be too cool to want to do that stuff. Personally, I would probably go to Sanibel and sit in a lounge chair for most of the time.

I would do a 2 week cruise, and maybe stay at the departure port for a few days beforoe or after the cruise...

I think it is very possible to do Hawaii on a budget. One does not have to stay in a large, expensive resort hotel to enjoy all that Hawaii has to offer. 19 days would afford you the time to see three islands, including the Big Island and Volcano National Park. You could include a couple of days on O'ahu to visit the key points of interest; Pearl Harbor, the Missouri and the Bowfin. You could climb Diamond Head and visit the Polynesian Cultural Center. We would never go to Hawaii without including Maui on our list. Kauai is lovely also. Another wonderful trip we did in 10 days was northern California. We landed in SFO, stayed two nights, went to Sausalito for breakfast, Muir wood, and Napa Valley. From there we spent 3 nights in Yosemite, (loved it), took in the Mariposa Grove of tall trees, drove through Fresno, stayed in Cambria (beautiful) on to San Simeon and the Heart Castle, up through the Big Sur, Monterey, the aquarium in Monterey, saw the cars for the Concourse de Elegance, drove though Santa Cruz, road the coaster and got the flight back home. We also loved Southern Calf. LAX, to Anaheim, Disneyland, Universal, down through Escondido to Wild Animal Park, part of the San Diego Zoo, onto Coronado Island, stayed at the Hotel Del for a couple of nights, onto the Marriott, visited San Diego Zoo, Sea World, the coast line, saw the seals, etc. I would see the USA first.

I agree! I think I want to do the US first, especially with my kids' ages. I really appreciate all the ideas. I would love to go to Europe. I've never been. But I think we may wait awhile. My DDs both say WDW for the whole time, but we've been there so much that I want to do something different with the time we have. Me and DH honeymooned in Hawaii and want to go back really bad, so that is a possibility. I looked at a European cruise, but my DDs would still rather go to WDW. I think me and DH need to make the final decision. We have been to LA (my brother lives there) but we would love to see DL and San Diego and San Fransico. Maybe the coast of CA? I just want it to be special! Thanks for all the ideas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter