Where would you move?

we dont have nearly enough info to help you make a decision... how old are you? do you have kids?

I would like to add a Pharmacy Degree to my personal resume...

I guess what do you love to do? Right now I manage a restaurant/catering business and wouldnt mind owning an "upscale" rastaurant and catering business...

Maui...in a heart beat...

What do you love to do? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Go to the Small Business Administration website and do some serious reading.

I agree we need more info to offer a serious assessment.

Fun thread to ponder "what if?"....but I agree we need more info on who you really are at heart. What is your passion? What is favorite climate? What are you and your spouse's trades/talents?

We thought about picking up and moving our lives to Louisville, KY this past summer after a wonderful vacation there...I just didn't have the heart to leave my family :sad2: A truly beautiful city though!

Give us more info if you like, but accept my best wishes whatever you decide!

Carolyn

I would park the money somewhere safe for 6 months and think through the move very carefully. The best thing to do when you come into some money is absolutely nothing. After 6 months you will be thinking with a clear mind.

Definitely.

Be aware - bugs grow BIG in the south. ... and roaches... in the south, they fly.

I have to second that. I had to erase the bit about the...other creepy crawly b/c I just can't be part of writing that word, but yes, to the roaches (palmetto bugs), they most definitely fly, and they are huge.

I wouldn't move to Florida at all, though I'm sure we'll enjoy our visit. If I were moving anywhere closer to a Disney park I'd move towards Anaheim, but there too, 400K wouldn't go far *at all*.

I already made this decision once, and here I am in western WA! Close to water, Rainier, the Olympics, islands...hiking, no state tax, etc etc etc. And now they are really working on the transit infrastructure, so we don't have to be tethered to our cars as much. DH is from this area and still loves it, so that's his decision too.

Now if you're thinking overseas, well, start looking into what you have to do to move legally, what the taxes will end up being, how you can live on what you have and would earn, etc etc.

You just have to figure out what you love, how you want to live, and then start whittling it down to the places that fit those things best!

I have to laugh, legal issues bore me and give me headaches so your dream job would me my nightmare, but I think I can top you with the bordom factor... I'd love to work in the IT dept (programming and systems development/maintenance) for Disney.

LOL - I think your reaction is typical of how most would feel about my job. :rotfl: I think that it would be cool, though, to have a DVC DIS-er in Disney's IT Department - - maybe our complaints would actually be heard and Disney's "enhancements" would actually help. :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

Wow! A dream job? I'd like to pick and grin playing the guitar and/or 5 string banjo with the wandering musicians in Frontierland. Not quite sure where I'd like to live. Celebration intrigues me but has a kind of "Stepford" quality about it.

Actually hubby and I dream of retiring somewhere near Disney, he wants to drive a Disney Bus, and I want to work in a park - Tour Guide would be good, maybe DVC - who knows - but the employees all look so happy! ;) I want what they have!

Believe it or not, Fargo, North Dakota (hot economy, small town atmosphere - as long as you can afford to flee the winter for a week or two).

Not! :faint: I attended college in Moorhead, MN and it would take a very rare set of circumstances (and a whole lot of kicking and screaming) for me to move back for year round living! Brrrrrrrrrr! Love the fall and spring is good when the river isn't flooding though.

Obviously dream places are personal choices OP. I'd also love Maui. Other than that I live in my dream place - Reno/Tahoe.

I actually don't WANT to live too close to disney for fear it would lose it's magic. Other palces in FL on the beach maybe, or in the mtns. in the carolinas would be nice.

My wife and I have this dream of moving to Florida and working for Disney when we retire. That dream has taken a bit of a hit in recent years as we have had a chance to drive around the state a bit more. We really haven't found a place that we'd want to call home yet.

Now we are thinking of selling our home here in Jersey and buying a condo in Florida and another condo in this area but closer to the beach. No matter what, I need to spend my winters - or at least a chunk of them - in warmer weather. There is SO much to love about the New York City area, but the winters have never grown on me.

We are selling our business and will have approximately $400,000 to start over.:banana::banana::banana:

If you were in my shoes where would you move and what would you do?

My husband keeps asking me where do I want to move but I don't know.

What would your dream job and location be if you weren't going to be rich but could just pick up and start over?

Regina

Don't move, stay put. Dream job,you asked......it's called RETIREMENT......work at it. Retired at age 50,[1998]..........life is good.

Stateside:
Best places to own your own biz (takes into consideration property taxes, minimum wages, personal and capital gains taxes) Well, South Dakota is number one, but who wants to live there? That leaves,
Nevada, Florida, Texas.
IF we had lived in Florida last year, we would have paid $20K LESS in taxes!!!
We probably would choose Texas - you can do whatever you want with your property, it is between the two coasts.

Out of the country:
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Beautiful, warmer than Florida, no income tax, no capital gains tax, British territory, english primary language, US$ currency, lowest caribbean crime rate. But SHHHHH, don't tell anybody 'cause we want to keep it a secret until we buy our place there!

My wife has often said... she wishes there was a doughnut & Bagel delivery service available at WDW. You place your order a day ahead... fresh baked goods(& cream cheese) delivered right to your resort 1st thing in the AM!

My dream is to retire in four years with enough money NOT to work!!:rotfl2:

Hey I can dream right?:wizard: with some pixie dust it just might come true.

I guess the world is your playground now.

You could always buy a motorhome and tour the country for a few years and pick up odd jobs along the way. That way you can see the USA and settle down in your favorite spot.

Or you can pick a warm sunny spot and settle down there. That is where I want to be, somewhere in Florida. There is just something about Florida that is so magically, (and not just Disney). I love the Florida beach and the warm breezes, the palm trees and the slower pace of life.

HAVE FUN!!!! Hopefully I will be joining you in a few years!!!!

I honestly just wanted to know what you guys would do.

But it would also be interesting to hear what you would do in our situation.

We live in a small town in Texas. We like Texas but do not love our town for a variety of reasons. We both came to the area because of our jobs. Speaking of jobs, the business that we are selling is a funeral business and my husband is burnt out and doesn't want to be a funeral director anymore.

He has considered a lot of careers from helicopter pilot to chef to teaching, but he is concerned that the expense for the education and time it takes for him to work his way up to a decent salary will deplete our funds too fast. (We have four children and one is at an expensive residential therapeutic boys ranch.)

So, we are considering an online business so location shouldn't matter too much, and we can always work as a funeral director and as a teacher if the other business doesn't work out.

It's funny how are choices have changed over the year: during the hot, hot summer, we dreamed of Colorado and Seattle - once winter set in, Florida began to look really good.

We have looked at Europe, South America and Australia. We are currently concerned about Europe's economy ant the taxes which may result, and Australia will probably not work out for various reasons.

Currently our favorite choices are:
Florida (beaches and my husband thinks that I am in love with the Mouse - I DO love him but I am not obsessed with him). I also worry about tiring of WDW and losing my favorite vacation destination.

Waco, Tx - my hometown
My husband thinks that it might be nice to live near my family.

Chile, South America
Stable economy with little or no corruption that is on the rise, safe, nice people. It is also supposed to be cheap to live there but no mortgages in Chile so will have to pay cash for a home or rent. The only problems are that the online business may not work due to shipping concerns to America so we will have to find another line of work. Also, our family probably won't be able to visit very much, and whatever job we get may keep us from traveling much.

We have also considered the Carolinas and Georgia.

It is the first time in our life that we can choose where we want to live and work not just follow a job or family.

Do we chase an adventure or go home?

What would you do?

I like hearing your dreams and what you would do in my place.

Thank you,

Regina

:) Would DH be interested in nursing?? Caring for the living instead of the dead?? He could be an RN in 2 years getting an Assoc degree and then work anywhere he wanted. He could even get a dream job like being a nurse on a helicopter. You can also teach as a nurse. Male nurses are very popular and usually make more than females since they work ICU. My brother wanted to be a dietician or nutritionist--I suggested nursing because I was in at it at the time after getting a B.A. I couldn't use. He is now a nurse practitioner and actually got a medical degree in Antigua recently. He won't practice medicine but he does have the degree.
I used my B.A in psychology for coursework I needed for nursing and was done in 2 years with one extra semester thrown in. I then certified in Wounds, Ostomies and Continence as my specialty. So I get to lecture, nurse, manage and develope. Just a thought he might could use.....and lord knows he already knows how to deal with people at their worst time.

I also live in a great location, except for hurricanes, 100 miles east of New Orleans and 100 west of Pensacola....can you say...par-tay

I agree with rutgers1...........this aging body needs to feel warmth during the winter months......however, I don't even know if we would even buy anything initially......maybe the first year or two just rent a place for the worst two months (Jan and Feb). Initially, we thought maybe it would be central FL somewhere near WDW......now we're not sure. We definitely do plan to downsize no matter what.......we have a 4 bdrm house with a very large yard......way too much work as we approach our late 50's......we're checking out townhouses nearby and also thinking maybe the Carolinas......both North and South Carolina treat retirees pretty good........tax wise......and property is pretty reasonably priced and I'm quite sure winter heating costs are not nearly as high as PA!

He has thought of nursing and may consider it again, but he has trouble with the sight of blood in the living. His doctor says that it is always the tall guys. So, I have to doctor all of the children's cuts and scrapes. We both think that if he is a nurse that the problem will probably not be an issue, since often people are able to handle a lot more in times of need. I know that baby diapers seriously grossed me out until I had my first child but I was able to handle that.

Thank you,

Regina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter