• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where would you eat????

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
So, we are bringing DS's GF for her very first Disney visit. She is a vegetarian but just started eating fish this week. I want her first restaurant experience to be as special as possible. We are in Epcot that first day and have a dinner ADR at Chefs de France. I have a really early lunch ADR at Coral Reef....this will be her first Disney food experience. Do you think Coral Reef is special enough? I haven't been there in at least 10 years and don't remember it. Our other Adr's are Crystal Palace breakfast/ lunch ( 10:45 adr), 1900 Park Fare dinner and either Sanaa or Tusker House lunch. We never do more than one character meals per trip, usually not even one, but we want those unique experiences as well as good food.

Depends. If you are expecting incredible food, you may not find it at Coral Reef based on many of the reviews coming out of there lately. I have not been myself in some time for that very reason. However, I think you can expect at least a decent meal at almost any WDW table service, and the main draw at Coral Reef is definitely the experience of dining in front of that beautiful aquarium. I say go for it.

I like your choices, but want to mention that if you are going during one of the Festivals like Flower & Garden (now) or Food & Wine (fall), you won’t want two ADRs on any day in Epcot. Sampling your way around the World is a lot of fun. :)

Even without a Festival, QS in Epcot can be excellent. You won’t need ADRs to eat great QS at, for example, Tangierine Cafe, Les Halles, or Katsura Grill. Just swing by whenever. :)

I would skip Coral Reef, but def see the aquarium in the Living Seas. Sunshine Seasons QS is nearby in the Land and is very good. If you do go to Coral Reef, order the Bailey’s mousse. :cloud9:

Coral Reef is fun because of the aquarium, not the food. If you want good seafood, do Flying Fish.
California Grill is amazing.
I would not leave the park to do Sanaa. I would do Tusker House or Tiffins instead.
Chef de France is a good choice.
If you are looking for good Italian, I would go to Il Mulino at the Swan.

Thanks everyone. I should have been more specific, we want to stay in Epcot or possibly the Boardwalk resorts. We only have that one day in Epcot. I know I'm in the minority but the booths are not a good experience for me. I always want dessert at the first one and an entree waaaaay across the WS where we won't be for hours. Plus it will be the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend so I'm sure the food booths will be crazy.

Would you be up for riding the monorails for an experience? If so, then The Wave sounds like it may meet her pallet. You can look up the menu on line. Its in the Contemporary. (Their quick serve always has different cupcakes as a bonus, perhaps one to take with you for later?)

I think if I was vegetarian and just started eating fish, I wouldn't want to eat fish while looking at live fish. It would be like eating steak in a field of cows. I could be wrong. Maybe she would feel differently. I would probably book Cape May. There are fish and non meat foods.
I DID think of that, lol.

Thanks everyone. I should have been more specific, we want to stay in Epcot or possibly the Boardwalk resorts. We only have that one day in Epcot. I know I'm in the minority but the booths are not a good experience for me. I always want dessert at the first one and an entree waaaaay across the WS where we won't be for hours. Plus it will be the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend so I'm sure the food booths will be crazy.

As others have said, the food at Coral Reef isn't great, but the aquarium is beautiful. Yeah, I always felt a little weird about eating fish while watching them swim around, too!

Maybe, in EP, consider San Angel Inn or Biergarten? Every venue will have something she can eat. The atmosphere at San Angel is quintessential Disney where you feel completely immersed in a new environment (Mexico at night!). Biergarten, too, is an immersive experience with a live band - kind of fun! I would also suggest, though it costs more, consider eating at Monsieur Paul for dinner. The food is far better than Chefs, IMHO. Or, if you want seafood, even dropping Chefs and going to Cape May at BC for dinner for their seafood buffet. BC is about a 5 minute walk from the EP WS IG entrance.

I love Tusker House, but you have quite a few character meals planned. I would book Sanaa instead and try to go during daylight hours so you can see the animals.

I agree with the concern about having the poor girl have to look at fish swimming around while she is eating seafood. Heck, I'm not a vegetarian but I have a bit of a problem with it.

I would maybe suggest Via Napoli where you can get an authentic pizza. I also like the idea above about going to San Angel Inn. Their tortilla soup is great! They also have a great snapper dish as well if she wanted to try that.

I dunno if I'd bring someone who just resumed eating fish to a place with sub-par fish (based on reports, I've never been there). I think there's overall better food to be had, probably spice road table or tokyo dining?

Flying Fish or maybe Cape May.
Both will have something for the pescatarian, vegetarian and carnivore.

I think if I was vegetarian and just started eating fish, I wouldn't want to eat fish while looking at live fish. It would be like eating steak in a field of cows. I could be wrong. Maybe she would feel differently. I would probably book Cape May. There are fish and non meat foods.

As a vegetarian of 25 years who has recently started eating fish, this was my first thought. OP, for what it’s worth I think going to Coral Reef would be a really bad idea - I certainly couldn’t do it! If you want fish at the Epcot/Boardwalk area then Flying Fish might be a better option. I’m planning my first WDW trip at the moment so I can’t recommend anything, but I had to agree with the comment above.

Well WHY was she a vegetarian? Was it an animal rights issue or a health issue? If health, she may not care about the tanks. That being said, I wouldn’t choose the coral reef just because the food is mediocre. Tried it myself for the first time because I needed to see for myself. The shrimp and grits were amazing, easily one of the best dishes of the trip, but nothing else would earn a mark above "fair".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter