• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where would you celebrate a 40th birthday?

shaun&miranda

Mouseketeer
This May we are going out to WDW to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary and DH's 40th birthday :cool1:

We are going to meet up with DH's best friend, who lives in the States (Texas) who was our best man, and one of my friends will be out there too. We are hugely excited and have made some lovely plans.

We are on DDP, but having a few off site/off plan meals too, so we can spend some double credits for signature meals.

We are doing Victoria and Albert's the night before his birthday, as our wedding anniversary celebration. We are doing Cali Grill the night his best man joins us. We are doing Narcoossee's on our last night.

So we are now wondering where we should eat on his actual birthday. We are going to be in Hollywood Studios during the day, as he wants to ride rollercoasters and be turned upside down on his 40th birthday :laughing: We did consider just staying in the park and seeing Fantasmic (which he loves) but he says he has now decided he does want to do a signature restaurant for his birthday night.

At the moment, we have an ADR booked for Artist Point. It's one of the only signatures we have never been to, and I am a little worried we won't like it. We are British and the feel of Artist Point from the reviews does seem to be really loved by Americans that love the wilderness theme.

What do you all think? Any Brits here that love AP? Am I worrying about nothing? Or should I reschedule?

Tell me what's great about artist point?

Thanks!

Miranda

We love the food at AP. It is a very quiet and reserved restaurant, though, IMHO.

If you are going to DHS that day, I would suggest Flying Fish. The Boardwalk area is fun with street performers and games. Also I think the atmosphere at FF is more celebratory. The food (and drinks ;)) are delicious, as well.

Either way you can't go wrong. Have fun, happy anniversary, and happy birthday to your DH!

I'll second Flying Fish as a great signature dining choice. It's my current favorite signature restaurant on property. I've found they really do a good job with celebrations (anniversary dinner last year, for instance).

We went to AP in Oct 2010. Very airy restaurant. Suggest you ask for a window table - particularly if still daylight when you eat. Couldn't fault the food and our waiter knew the menu inside out. We went at 6pm - only a couple of other tables in use so lacked atmosphere.

We love the Yatchman's Steakhouse - also has a nice bar just to the left of its entrance for pre dinner drinks.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Best Wishes

Lorraine

I would recommend Flying Fish or Bluezoo..... had excellent meals and service at both.:goodvibes

Go with Yachtsman's Steakhouse, excellent food. Or, if you like BBQ, go to the Wilderness Lodge and go to Whispering Canyon Cafe. Tell them before hand it's his 40th Birthday, make him wear a SeaWorld shirt or hat and just have fun!:rotfl2:

Thanks for your replies everyone. I hadn't thought of Flying Fish, will give the menu a look and see if he would prefer that. We do love the Boardwalk!

Sadly DH doesn't like BBQ at all - I love it, but since it's his birthday I am trying to behave myself and book somewhere he will love, rather than just being for my taste ;)

Maybe we will stick with Artist Point. He says he does like the idea of it being a crazy day of rollercoasters followed by a calmer, more romantic dinner just for the two of us that night. And it is a signature restaurant, so I guess it must be nice! We love the other signature restaurants at disney we have been to.

I'll let you all know where we end up and what we thought of the meal after our trip!

If any other people pass through this thread and have any experience of Artist Point, please do leave a message with your experience of eating there. We will be eating around 8pm in late May, so I think the sun will just about to set when we arrive, so most of the meal will be after dark.

Thanks again to all who have posted replies! :lovestruc

Miranda

We are on our way home right now from celebrating my wife's 30th birthday. We had diner at Yachtsman and absolutely loved it. The porter house was the best steak I ever had. So if he likes steak my vote is Yachtsman.

Artist Point is a good choice. If you're considering other options, Hollywood Brown Derby @ DHS is also a signature restaurant. We think it holds up pretty well with the other DDP signatures. You could book a Fantasmic package there.

If you don't mind his birthday dinner being OOP, I agree that bluezoo would be a better choice. We think it's a step above the signature restaurants on DDP. If you don't like the menu, I've heard great things about Il Mulino & Shula's also. IM is on our short list. We have a Shula's here, so we probably won't try that one @ WDW.

Congrats on your 5 yr. anniversary. It sounds like you have a great trip planned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter