• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where Tropical Storms Starts

HumanCookie

Mouseketeer
This is where Tropical Storm starts that turn into Hurricanes.

20.jpg

Not always. Some do form off the coast of Africa (Ivan) and some form in the Caribbean (Jeanne).

FYI, the picture above is the coast of Africa. Tropical Storm Jeanne started from there.

And from the looks of that picture above, another one is brewing. :(

Human Cookie, you are in Maryland, what is your interest? And no Jeanne did not form until in the Caribbean. It may have been part of a storm off of Africa, but it didn't become a TD until the Caribbean, therefor that is where it formed.

Ivan formed off the coast of Africa.

Also, I am not going to stare at the storms coming off of African and think the worst is going to happen. When the NHC tells me to be concerned, I will then be concerned. For untrained people, to see those storms coming off of Africa, will only cause undue stress and concern. You may be trying to be helpful, which is really nice. But really we don't need anymore "bad" thoughts. :D

The thing is, storms come off Africa all the time. The fact that there's a conveyor belt of them doesn't necessarily mean much... only if they organize. You know what? The Africa map looked like that two months ago... you just didn't notice.

Honestly, this reminds me of summer 2001 when all the media did was report on shark bites off Florida. Then September came around, the media found something new to report about, and you would think that the sharks all stopped biting.

Hurricanes are "big news" now, so the worry is getting compounded throughout the country. Take it from someone in Orlando who went through two of them in three weeks... the only way to keep any sense of perspective is to deal with them as they come. And until they do, you can't do anything about it!

(unless you want to get about a million people together to stand on the Florida coastline and blow really hard... if you manage to do that, let me know because I want a photo)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter