Where to visit in the Appalachian mountains?

mrsklamc

<font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what
My MIL wants to take an extended family trip to 'the Appalachians.' I'm the family trip planner and I'm not sure what direction to take that...it's a huge area, and the only places that come to mind are Biltmore, the Gatlinburg area, and Great Smokey Mountains National Park. I always get great advice here so I thought I'd ask for suggestions. :)

This area is great. I think you should come visit. You can visit the Biltmore from here for the day (we've gone several times and have always just done day visits) or you could split your stay and visit both sides.

I think there is so much to do here that it makes for a wonderful vacation. :)

The Biltmore Estate is truly beautiful and the Ashveille area has lots to see and do (along with soem great restaurants). The Smoky Mountains are only 1-2 hours from there too.

I live here in Asheville and there is TONS to do in and around the city and surrounding area. As a pp mentioned, the Great Smoky Mts. National Park is an easy drive as is Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Cherokee, Bryson City and many other great spots. There are many places for rafting, hiking, ziplining, camping all over the area as well as great shops, galleries and restaurants.

If you need any help, just ask!

Linda

Oooooh! Blowing Rock!!!!! If I ever win the lottery, I'm buying a home there. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

The Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) starts at the Great Smoky Mountain Park and the similar Skyline Drive extends north into Shenandoah Natiopnal Park.

There is a great tourism organization centered on the BRP which helps you find all attractions and things to do within reach of it.

For getting outdoors, nothing beats the short hikes and views right from the pullovers on Skyline Drive!

Brevard is a nice smaller town and it's surrounded by park land full of waterfalls.
Biltmore Estate is really great. Stay at the Inn if you can.
I agree that Blowing Rock is a great choice too. See Grandfather Mountain if you go there.

You mentioned you'd be traveling with your mil so I am not sure if these would be something that you or mil would enjoy but its some of the things we've done while visiting that area.

We did: rainbow trout fishing, a small amusement park called Ghost Town in the Sky, The Biltmore Estate, Dollywood, and just explored the Blue Ridge Pkwy for days. They also have Dolly's Dixie Stampede and Dolly has a waterpark. I am sure there are TONS more to do but those are just the things that come to mind. Have a wonderful time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter