Where to stay w/ 2 toddlers/1 adult? And what week?

chessie2008

Mouseketeer
Okay I am thinking of leaving my older 2 kids home with dad and taking my 2 little ones for a week by myself. Where would you stay if you were me? I'm a bit nervous about handling the stroller, luggage, kids, etc all by myself. We have stayed at ASM before but wonder if Pop Century would be easier since I understand they have a devoted bus line? Also does anyone know if there is any major conferences happening the first or second weeks in May? (I know there are always conferences but if there is a major one we can avoid I could move our dates around). Thanks for any help/tips you can share! :thumbsup2

You are very brave to try and take 2 toddlers by yourself. We took our youngest when he was 14 months, and it took myself, DH, my mother and my father to watch after him, and to make sure his 4 year old brother was having a good time. How are you going to get the stroller on and off the buses by yourself, while watching after the kids? My DH always handled the double stroller on the bus rides, me and my mom would each hold a child in our laps while on the buses, and we still had an extra person to handle all the other stuff little ones need - diaper bags, souvenier bags, etc. I would only stay at a hotel where I could walk to the parks if I were contemplating what you are.

I had to look twice to see that you were taking the younger ones and not the older one's. You are a brave soul. With that said, I would go in the fall, weather is usually quite nice, crowds are very low, and I don't think you will have to worry about a pool with the 2 small ones. The value resort rooms are really tight, so it would depend upon how the little one's sleep...crib or bed. Fort Wilderness is nice in their cabins, that way you have access to a fridge, stove, and such so morning time might be a bit easier, then you can take the boat over to MK.

Just some thoughts.

have fun

Cheryl

just noticed you said May....we have been in May....hot and rainy last year!

We love going the first week of May. Last year was hotter, but usually the weather is in the low to mid 80's and the humidity not too bad. June starts the rainy season. I think we've only had maybe two days of rain in 3-4 years of going during that time frame.

As far as resort, your budget may dictate that choice. If you can afford it, I highly suggest one of the monorail resorts. That alone will probably help a whole lot commuting to MK and EP. If you need to stay in a value, I think Pop is a good choice. You will have fun no matter what you choose.

we love POP and with little ones it is fantastic! The bus service is nice and I would recommened the 70's or 50's building near the food court it makes it an easy commute to and from your room. the main pool has THE BEST kiddie pool IMHO it is zero entry and the kids can splash in and out without fear of them getting hurt because it has the foam flooring all around it. It also has a cute Goofy fountain for them to run and splash in! Which can keep them busy quite awhile! If POP had a slide for my 5 yo we would stay here every trip! You will love it! I just noticed some comments about the bus ride, I had to take the bus by myself and there were never a shortage of people offering to help, I know this can't be counted on but if you do have trouble I would be willing to bet someone can help you out! But if you are a super mom like myself (LOL) you probably already know how to make it in most situations!

Wow you are brave to be taking them by yourself. We went last April and had my mom and brother to help out with our 3 children. This April we are going just our immediate family and I know I will miss their help.

If I could make one suggestion instead of taking the buses maybe you could rent a car. That way you won't have to lug the strollers on the bus by yourself. Some bus drivers are very helpful while others not so much.
Or stay at a monorail resort.

Good luck.

I see that my kids sounded like they would be younger than they would actually be on the trip (I hadn't updated the ages of my kids in my signature (they will be almost 3 and 5 in May not 1 and 3).

Thanks for the great suggestions. I hadn't thought of Fort Wilderness but that might be a excellent option. I do have a great stroller that is very compact and folds up easily.

Sigh...why does there always have to be one who doesn't have any intention of answering the question asked (I didn't ask if I should go but simply suggestions for where to stay) but has to assume they know WAY more than they know about someone's situation and give their opinion. :confused: I know I can't rely on help from strangers (another poster's suggestion) but I'm glad they know all about my dh and other dc from my questioning where to stay. :rolleyes:

I see that my kids sounded like they would be younger than they would actually be on the trip (I hadn't updated the ages of my kids in my signature (they will be almost 3 and 5 in May not 1 and 3).

Thanks for the great suggestions. I hadn't thought of Fort Wilderness but that might be a excellent option. I do have a great stroller that is very compact and folds up easily.

Sigh...why does there always have to be one who doesn't have any intention of answering the question asked (I didn't ask if I should go but simply suggestions for where to stay) but has to assume they know WAY more than they know about someone's situation and give their opinion. :confused: I know I can't rely on help from strangers (another poster's suggestion) but I'm glad they know all about my dh and other dc from my questioning where to stay. :rolleyes:

I think it sounds like a lot of fun. You know what you are capable of, and if you think you can do it, then no one else has the right to judge. You are not doing anything wrong...some people are just rude. Your kids will have a blast, and so will you if you spend some time planning ahead of time.

I don't know about the All Stars, but we stayed at POP and the kids loved it. I think the main pools can be hard with one adult, and kids that age. But they have one of those fountain play areas, and a great kiddie pool. They are smaller areas, and it will be easy to keep track of both kids. The food court can be really busy, and it might be hard managing trays with both kids in tow. I would have a plan for that. The buses came quickly, but can be crowded. If you have a double umbrella stroller, it might be easier than something bulkier.

If you use ME, they will bring your luggage to your room. Try to get all of your carry on stuff into one large backpack for you to carry. Pack things to entertain them into small backpacks for them. Write a list of everything that you are concerned about, and just make a plan!

I think it sounds like a great trip, and we had a wonderful time the first week in May. Best weather we have ever experienced in Florida. The crowd levels were also much better than other times that we have gone. If you have other questions, feel free to ask. While I haven't traveled completely by myself, I have traveled without my husband with young kids. The family members that I have traveled with were not overly helpful except for "getting on the bus" type situations (if that makes sense). I had to do all of the planning, so I've thought a lot of things out. And I've seen what works and what doesn't.

Have fun!

I took my girls alone for a four night trip when they were 2 and 4. It really wasn't that hard. We stayed at POP. I found the busses the easiest there since they don't share with any other hotel. My other recommendation would be POFQ since it is more "compact" than the other moderates (if you wanted to move up to a moderate).

As far as tips- I used a double stroller and when we were getting on/off busses I just folded up the stroller and had my girls go on before me. They were both able to get on the busses fine alone. Then we just sat together. May is a slow time and we were usually leaving the parks at a slow time (mid day). If it looked like the bus would be full we just waited for the next one.

Just be prepared for a slower than normal trip. I am used to travelling with my kiddos since my husband owns his own company and is not able to travel very often with us.

Have fun!

Adding: The pools were not that difficult for us. They have free life jackets and I put my girls in one and in we went. The four year old was able to float around and "swim" while still being very close to me. I held onto the two year old at all times- well I let her float but I held onto her hand. Also, in the food court I just loaded the girls into their stroller and was able to push the stroller with one hand/hip and carry/balance on the stroller the tray with food. I gave to drinks to my older daughter to hold in the stroller. We did do a lot of sit down meals in the park since it was much easier than counter service. Since the two year old is free I found it was not really that much more expensive to do sit-down meals.

Also, we drove since at that time we lived less than an hour away. I packed as light as I could. I put the youngest in the stroller and the oldest walked. In the empty second seat of the stroller I put our cooler and we headed to our room. Then we went back out to the car with them walking. I brought in one piece of luggage at a time. My oldest was able to pull the small luggage and I think it only took two trips to the car. If you are flying then ME will deliver it to your room. (I have some hints on flying alone with a 2 and 4 year old if you are flying!)

I didn't want to edit/add on to my last post AGAIN- but you may want to post over on the Disney for Families Forum. There may be some good advice over there (and hopefully a bit kinder and more encouraging).

Because, really, the post about "What will you do with the three year old if the baby needs your assistance? Or vice versa?" That seems a bit extreme to me. I am sure you go places with the two younger ones alone all the time! What do you do at the mall if the baby needs your assistance.....it's not like you haven't been alone with them before!:rotfl:

Hi. Plus don't forget there is a summer discount going on now that you could get a decent price at FW or even Wilderness Lodge instead of Pop. Or try the Contemporary. I agree with other posters that the monorail makes a lot of sense.

I just want to lend my support to you. FWIW - I personally would try to stay at the contemporary if I could afford it, just for the simplicity of walking to the MK and the monorail to Epcot. (I like it even when I travel with DH, Dmom, Ddad, and a host of other "helpers! LOL!) But if that's not possible, I would agree with going with Pop Century and it's fewer bus stops. If you did stay at the contemporary, they would also help you with your luggage. If you don't do magical express, you could consider getting a towncar vs. renting a car - similar price (or less) but you have the driver to help you get your luggage at the airport.

Also, I know from my experience traveling with my niece last year that a 5 year old can be very helpful too.

I'm sorry that you had a "bad apple" reply. My gosh, what about single parents? Should they wait to take their children?

Have a fun trip! I bet you will all have a blast!

Well I say way to go for doing this. I probaly would not have the patience!I do not know about the resorts but an courious to see the replies!

But I know my DH made it by himself a day at Epcot when I stayed back at the hotel with the baby and he had a few issues but it was doable!

If you are worried about the bus, and drive at home, maybe look into renting a vehicle. We went on priceline and managed to get a full size car 2 weeks before our trip for only $12/day, it cost less then $200 to have it including gas! For us it was a time saver and tantrum saver even for the parents!!

Hi-I am tossing my 2cents in here, too! I am guessing the "sour grapes" response must have been edited, since I don't see anything here. But-don't take it to heart!! You know what you are capable of and the majority of your Dis friends will support you!

1. The first week of May is great-we have gone then the last two years and I have nothing but good to say about it! (No rain!!!! Easy crowds!)

2. I highly recommend POFQ for your situation. We had an 18 month old with when we stayed there and it was so perfect for that age. The resort is small, and the bus situation is ideal. You are the first picked up and first dropped off, then it is just a quick jaunt to your room. I would request ground floor, so you can push the stroller right in if you have sleeping/tired kids!

3. Since you have an easy to fold up, compact stroller-definately take advantage of the bus. There is nothing better than being dropped right at the gate, and not having to hike, tram, ferry, or monorail to the front gate.

I treasure the mom and boys trip that we took last May (and, trust me, I got a lot of poo poo reactions too!!) I will NEVER regret having taken that trip!

Have a wonderful, magical trip!:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter