Where to stay on the way? Campground in SC? GA?

splashsurf

Earning My Ears
My DH and I just booked 9 nights at FW for spring break 2013. We are driving our 38ft Winnebago (without a tow vehicle:scared:) in from the Annapolis area of MD and we're wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to overnight?

We are thinking that about 8-10 hours into the drive we are going to want to get into a clean, safe campground near 95 for the night... any suggestions? Don't want to do a Walmart, etc because we will be traveling with limited water onboard for gas milage reasons:)

This is our first drive into Disney... we have always flown in the past... (2004 along with Hurricane Charlie and 2009 spring break...) We are also traveling with our two boys ages 6 and 4. Thanks in advance!

We stay at the KOA in Savannah, GA. Not sure if that's too far , but I recommend it.

Thanks! I've been reading on here and see that some people stay at Yemassee, SC. Looking into that too. We bought our first RV in 2007 but have never stayed at a KOA :confused3 Are they all similar?

There is also a new resort in Brunswick, GA just off I-95 called Coastal GA RV Resort. We haven't been there yet, but it looks nice.

We stayed at the Coastal Georgia last year on our way to Disney. Beautiful campground. It was very clean and all sites were long pull-thru sites. We plan to stay there again on our next Disney trip. I believe you are only
3 - 3 1/2 hrs from Disney from there. They also had a nice truck stop at that exit. There is a full size Denny's inside that was very clean and quick service.

We have New Green Acres booked in Walterbro SC. I was not paying KOA prices for not even 12 hours; we have a TT so we are good w/ basic pull through site.

My DH and I just booked 9 nights at FW for spring break 2013. We are driving our 38ft Winnebago (without a tow vehicle:scared:) in from the Annapolis area of MD and we're wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to overnight?

We are thinking that about 8-10 hours into the drive we are going to want to get into a clean, safe campground near 95 for the night... any suggestions? Don't want to do a Walmart, etc because we will be traveling with limited water onboard for gas milage reasons:)

This is our first drive into Disney... we have always flown in the past... (2004 along with Hurricane Charlie and 2009 spring break...) We are also traveling with our two boys ages 6 and 4. Thanks in advance!

On our last trip to Disney that we took our camper, we stayed at the KOA in Savannah, GA on our way down. Easy on/off from I-95. Good place for an overnight stop. Coming from Annapolis, that is very close to 10 hours for you and you really may not want to push the envelope to go that far.

Coming back, we stayed at the Florence (South Carolina) RV Park at I-95 and TV Road. This used to be a KOA and we camped there many times when we went to the races at Darlington. Coming from Annapolis, it would be about a 7 hour trip.

It's about 4.5 hours from the KOA in Savannah to Disney and about 6.5 from Florence. Either would be a good place to stay.

We like Coastal Georgia at Brunswick GA, New Green Acres at Walterboro SC or KOA Savannah South at Richmond Hill GA. All are clean and close to I-95

BTW, since this is just past us on 95, I estimate it is about 6 more hours to WDW, 7 with a couple of stops.

We have had good experiences using the KOAs in Fayetteville and Savannah on the way to Fort Wilderness. If you haven't done a trip that long yet, consider using 500 miles as an estimate for a long day on the road.

the eman

We have had good experiences using the KOAs in Fayetteville and Savannah on the way to Fort Wilderness. If you haven't done a trip that long yet, consider using 500 miles as an estimate for a long day on the road.

the eman

I second this recommendation. We drove from Virginia Beach to Disney in Nov 2009 and getting to the Savannah KOA (which I think is the one at Richmond Hill) made for a very long day.

There is also a good KOA we have stayed at in Endfield NC and another one near Smithfield NC (exit is at Four Oaks NC) that we have stayed at that was nice.

Wonderful! We've been tossing around the idea of stopping somewhere 7-8 hours away vs driving straight through from NY. It's good to have a list in case we decide to stop.

We go to Disney about 4 times a year, if we go over Bay Bridge, we stop at RV Vacation world in Selma, NC. about 7 hours from bridge, then we stop at Pecan Park in FL. about 8 hours. From here it is about a 4 hour drive to Ft. Wilderness. We drive at 65 because that's the max. speed for toad.

THANKS! everyone:) This is a great list! We've traveled 12 hours in a day with our old fiver but this is the first long trip in the motorhome and she drives so much better with out a toad... Do you think we will be ok without a car for 9 days? We're not anticipating leaving the world but I'm always worried someone will need stitches or something!

We go to Disney about 4 times a year, if we go over Bay Bridge, we stop at RV Vacation world in Selma, NC. about 7 hours from bridge, then we stop at Pecan Park in FL. about 8 hours. From here it is about a 4 hour drive to Ft. Wilderness. We drive at 65 because that's the max. speed for toad.

We are staying at RV Vacation on the way home.

In answer to place to stay. We pull a 34' TT w/ a Dodge Ram and stayed at New Green Acres in Walterboro, SC for overnight and did not unhook. We saw several MHs with toads about a 6.5 to 7 hour day to drive to WDW. Two years ago we stayed at Blythe Island Regional Park in Brunswick, GA. Same thing w/pull thru and saw MHs w/toads about 4.5 to 5 hour drive. As to the need for a toad, we stayed for 10 days and the only day I moved my truck was the day I went to fill it with gas for the drive home. DD and family drive class C w/o toad and did not miss the car and enjoyed the extra gas mileage. I have a safe, fun and enjoyable trip.:donald:

We are traveling from CT to WDW in December. 3 stops, Boon docking in Wilkes-Barre, a KOA in Ashland Va, and a KOA in Yemassee SC.

It breaks each leg of our trip down to no more than 7-8 hours.

In answer to place to stay. We pull a 34' TT w/ a Dodge Ram and stayed at New Green Acres in Walterboro, SC for overnight and did not unhook. We saw several MHs with toads about a 6.5 to 7 hour day to drive to WDW. Two years ago we stayed at Blythe Island Regional Park in Brunswick, GA. Same thing w/pull thru and saw MHs w/toads about 4.5 to 5 hour drive. As to the need for a toad, we stayed for 10 days and the only day I moved my truck was the day I went to fill it with gas for the drive home. DD and family drive class C w/o toad and did not miss the car and enjoyed the extra gas mileage. I have a safe, fun and enjoyable trip.:donald:

Thanks! We were in DW (Pop Century) for five days during Hurricane Charly without a car and I was thankful that was one more thing we didn't have to worry about in the storm... but that was just my husband and I -once kids came into the picture it is a whole different story! If I remember correctly they closed FW in that storm and there were many familes at our hotel with their RV's parked in the parking lot.

THANKS! everyone:) This is a great list! We've traveled 12 hours in a day with our old fiver but this is the first long trip in the motorhome and she drives so much better with out a toad... Do you think we will be ok without a car for 9 days? We're not anticipating leaving the world but I'm always worried someone will need stitches or something!

We also drive our MH to FW and it's about the only place we never tow our vehicle. In emergencies, there is a van that will come out. Also, because we like our water, we go with full tank and it makes no difference in gas mileage - on a bus you're already so heavy - :love: our MH. Have a great trip pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter