where to stay - money not a concern

princess lovers mom

take me home....
I am planning a Christmas trip 12/26-12/30 for hubbies 50th b-day - for us and 2 DD's ages 15 and 11 then

never been to DLR - would like to know which on site resort you would recommend - we are park people - will spend most of the day and night in the parks - but appreciate a nice resort for in room luxuries too....

is the Grand Californian our best bet? any recommendations of room requests?

thanks

No question about it...the Grand Californian! I am also celebrating that birth number this year ( having a hard time typing the number! :) ) and we are staying at the Grand CA...we love this hotel and stay there as often as we can afford it.

Marilyn :rolleyes:

I would say that the Grand Californian is your best bet if $$$ is not a concern. Stayed in a double queen last August and a 1 bedroom villa coming up this August, I do not think it can be beat, IMHO.

Jack

As a bonus it'll be decked out for the Holidays! BFF stayed there over Xmas last year and said it was just beautiful!

Grand Californian for sure. There is no closer hotel to the parks (since it's actually IN the parks!) and no other hotel closeby that has even close to the same amenites (next in line would be the Disneyland Hotel - esp one of their new rooms).

Fair warning: The GCH is the best hotel around for DLR but it's also not a 5-star hotel IMO. More like a nice Marriott with great, themed Disney magic and an unbeatable location. You're paying for the Disney themeing and location and not the amenities and service.

Fair warning: The GCH is..... not a 5-star hotel IMO. More like a nice Marriott with great, themed Disney magic and an unbeatable location. You're paying for the Disney themeing and location and not the amenities and service.

This, absolutely. Except I don't find it to be themed...it's just like a national park lodge, to me (which isn't really a Disney theme). Again, to me. And the location is nice, but we got a poorly placed room on our stay there, and while using mapmyrun.com to plot out different distances, estimated that adding in the trek from our room, we were just barely closer to DL than we were while staying at the DLH (in the closest-to-DTD tower, exiting the DTD-side doors). If you get a closer room, that's fab, though.

I would not just go with the most expensive, just because you can. Instead, I would find that this is an opportunity to figure out what, exactly, you want in a hotel, and then find the hotel that gives you what you want.

I can tell you right now, as pretty as the Grand is, it does NOT give me what I want in a hotel. So regardless of how much money I had to spend on a hotel, I would look elsewhere for the fanciness I would prefer.

I'd do the Grand. One of these days I'd like to check it out, just to try it. Unfortunately, the rooms are too small to accommodate my large family.

The other option is one of the new, upgraded, DLH rooms. Your trip is far enough out, that you'll have a better chance of getting one. You can't be guaranteed one, however, the longer you wait, the more rooms will be completed in the refurbishment process.

The OP asked about a great hotel, nothing about Disney themed. My question would be how many folks have stayed in a five start hotel? and what hotel was that>
When working out of the country the last few years off and on the company I worked for would put us up in either a Manderin Oriental or a 4 Seasons(love the one in Seattle.) Our training sessions, ie book work and planning always took place in this type of hotel.
I am trying to get a mental comparison to others that I have not stayed in.

Jack

This, absolutely. Except I don't find it to be themed...it's just like a national park lodge, to me (which isn't really a Disney theme).

I just meant themeing in general that generates a feeling of immersion and escape. Not necessarily classic Mickey Mouse theming - just any theme. It's one of Disney's areas of expertise and differentiates most of their hotels from regular hotels. The Grand CA, for me, is the only hotel there that achieves this.

Examples in Walt Disey World would be: Animal Kingdom Lodge, the Poly, the Beach Club, Pop Century, etc.

And of course no matter what the theme the are hints of the Mouse everywhere in each of their hotels which I love, too. ::MickeyMo

Of the 3 DLR hotels the Grand is my least fave as far as rooms go, dark, woodsy - not my thing *however the lobby is beautiful and at C~mas time WOW! I'd prefer to stay at the DLH if $$ was not a concern, but I'd still rather stay somewhere nearly as nice for a lot less money and have more $$ to spend on other things, I don't like to be hotel poor on vacation.

Of the 3 DLR hotels the Grand is my least fave as far as rooms go, dark, woodsy - not my thing *however the lobby is beautiful and at C~mas time WOW! I'd prefer to stay at the DLH if $$ was not a concern, but I'd still rather stay somewhere nearly as nice for a lot less money and have more $$ to spend on other things, I don't like to be hotel poor on vacation.
Here here! I agree completely. Every dollar I spend on a hotel is a dollar that I can't use for something else truly special on the trip. I also agree with other posters that as pretty as the lobby and surroundings are at the Grand, the rooms just don't measure up to the cost. The DLH is a better value for the money, imo, and even if the $$$ aren't a factor, most people want to get what they pay for. And DLH is a teensie bit more magical, also imo. :goodvibes

As other members have suggested, go for “Grand Californian”. As money is not a concern, it is one of the best places to stay at Disneyland for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter