• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to stay in Rome?

lisaisjessiesmom

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have any recommendations on a hotel to stay at in Rome for a few nights before a cruise? Ideally it would be family friendly (2 kids), enable us to see some sights in Rome (we are first timers) and it would be a plus to have some shuttle option to the port (or I'd love any other recommendation on the best way to get there). Thank you!!

There are many nice hotels in Rome. I would recommend that you stay right in the historic center for your first visit. What is your budget? Something like the Alberto del Senato would have family rooms available. With kids, I would most likely book a private transfer like RomeCabs. There is also a train to Civitavecchia called the Civitavecchia Express.

We had a great stay in Rome at the Hotel Nerva, right off the Forum.

I booked IQ Hotel Roma. It has great reviews on trip advisor, but the main reason I booked it is that it has a self-laundry. We're sailing on Royal which does not have self-laundry and I'd like to start the cruise with all clean clothes.

In Rome I recommend calling Disney cruise line for Pre or Post stay I think they use 2 hotels called Parco dei Principi Grand Hotel & Spa and the other one called Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Resort also Disney cruise line can do transfers to the cruise ship.
All information can be found here https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ports/civitavecchia-italy/

These hotels might not be near the famous sights in Rome but you can always hire a car, get a bus, get a taxi or if available you can get Uber or LYFT if it's available in Italy to visit the coliseum and other famous sights

Last edited:
Another vote here for Nerva Boutique Hotel. We stayed there after our cruise, with the hotel arranging transport from the port (and to the airport). The location, right by the Colosseum and Forum, couldn't have been better.

When we did our first visit to Italy it was an ABD Viva Italia trip. They put us in the Bernini Bristol and we were very happy with it. Since then, we've been back to Rome a couple more times and have stayed there each time.

The Bernini Bristol recently became a part of the Marriott program for earning or redeeming points, if that's of interest.

We had a great stay in Rome at the Hotel Nerva, right off the Forum.

Another vote here for Nerva Boutique Hotel. We stayed there after our cruise, with the hotel arranging transport from the port (and to the airport). The location, right by the Colosseum and Forum, couldn't have been better.

We haven't stayed at Hotel Nerva yet but have booked it for a few nights before our Celebrity Cruise. Staying at Babuino 181 after the cruise. Have not stayed there before either. I plan to book Rome Cabs for the port and airport transfers.

There is also the train, but I have made the mistake of trying to lug around luggage on public transport before. Won't be doing that again.

Another vote for the Pantheon Iconic. We stayed there for 3 nights before our cruise in 2019 and it was wonderful. You are are steps away from the Pantheon and just a stroll away from so many iconic sights. Yet being on kind of side street it was still very quiet. The staff was wonderful and the rooftop bar was a delight - what a view!! Our room was huge by European standards. We booked this using Marriott points so thought we'd get the most basic room available, but were shocked at how nice it was.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a hotel to stay at in Rome for a few nights before a cruise? Ideally it would be family friendly (2 kids), enable us to see some sights in Rome (we are first timers) and it would be a plus to have some shuttle option to the port (or I'd love any other recommendation on the best way to get there). Thank you!!
We had reserved Boutique Hotel Galatea for what was going to be out 10 night Med cruise but closures from C-19 cancelled everything so unfortunately didn’t stay but i can say they were great to work with and didn’t give us any problems in getting deposit back and that to me says a lot. . https://www.hotelgalatearoma.com/

There are many nice hotels in Rome. I would recommend that you stay right in the historic center for your first visit. What is your budget? Something like the Alberto del Senato would have family rooms available. With kids, I would most likely book a private transfer like RomeCabs. There is also a train to Civitavecchia called the Civitavecchia Express.
We stayed at Albergo del Senato last year, and we loved it. It overlooks the Pantheon, and there are restaurants within walking distance. They also have an incredible breakfast buffet. It was reasonably priced also.

We stayed at Albergo del Senato last year, and we loved it. It overlooks the Pantheon, and there are restaurants within walking distance. They also have an incredible breakfast buffet. It was reasonably priced also.
I was going to suggest this hotel. Love it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter