• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to stay in Polynesian?

smlev

Mouseketeer
Which are the most centrally located buildings? Do they all have balconys? Is it possible to be upgraded to a concierge floor?

We stayed in Tokelau and felt the building was centrally located to everything. The building does have balconies on the second and third floors. For more information about which buildings have balconies and which don't, go to: http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/index.html This is where I looked to make my decision on where to stay at the Poly. It helped me out a lot and hopefully will do the same for you:D

We also stayed in Tokelau and it was perfect. Quick walk to TTC, Great Ceremonial House, beach, arcade, etc. We don't have kids but DH LOVES arcades! I would definitely request that building again.

They have concierge buildings, not floors and I'm pretty sure you have to specifically book and pay for upgrade to concierge.

Wherever you wind up, you cannot go wrong at the Poly.

For a non-concierge room, our preference would be for the Tokelau or Tahiti longhouses for a garden view and Tahiti for lagoon view (one side of the building). Both have 2nd and 3rd floor balconies, both aren't real close to the GCH but both are we liked how close they both were to the transportation center and boat launch (and the beach by the Tahiti is much less used than the one by the Hawaii).

We just returned from Disney's Polynesian Resort and it was fabulous. I had requested Tokelau, but upon check-in I was told Tokelau was not being used for this slow week (Sept 7-13) so I got three ground rooms in Fiji that were marvelous. The map makes it look like a long walk, but it really isn't. It was very centrally located, except for the TTC, which we just rode the resort monorail over to. We were so pleased with this resort in every way. We took our children and four small grandchildren and everyone agreed the Poly was the best!
If you have any questions, I'd be happy to reply.
:D
Mimi

We are booked for lagoon view 10/6-10/13. I am so confused on which LH to request. From what Tikiman has said, he prefers Tahiti, but I think it will still be concierge. Next he would choose Tuvalu, but he said there is no beach to access. What about Aoterea or the few in Tokelau. Any opinions or advice...
Thanks!

For your LV ? I would still pick Tuvula. There is the water in front of you and you still get the balcony / patio / sliding door on 2. There is a small area in front of the patio's it is just not sand. The upside is no one else is walking down there in front of you. ;) AND the beach is just to the left of tuvula! There is a really nice quiet forgotten beach area on that side too. It sits in front of aeorotea (next to figi). With Tahiti out of the mix, LV is very limited. Aeorotea seats back away from the beach and seems farther to me because of that. we haven't stayed in that building, but we were just in figi, and looked at it a lot and thought it seemed kinda back, for charging LV prices in some of its rooms. In tokelau the LV is sideways? your rooms look to the side not direct castle view. I would pick Aeorotea over tokelau.

GV = this last trip we really liked our figi room! :D

MKY :smooth:

We have never been to the Poly but will be there in Dec. It was suggested that we ask for Nuie as I have difficulty walking. Are the 1st floor patios nice? Private?

I thought I had read something about no swimming at the beaches? Is that true? I hate to sit on a sandy beach if I can't go in the water!:p

Arlene

Arlene,
I also have a hard time walking (arthritis in right knee) and I requested ground floor room for that reason. Nui is very centrally located, but is a smoking longhouse. I thought I wanted Tokelau, but received Fiji and it worked out just fine.
Yes, there is no swimming in the lake (signs are posted). But there is a nice shower besides the pool where you can rinse off and get in the pool. The volcano pool is very close.
The Polynesian is a beautiful resort and appeals to all ages.
Enjoy your stay.
:D Disnemimi

Last trip we had a great 2nd floor room in Fiji that overlooked the marina. It was technically a garden view room, but we had a great view of the water and boats (which our DS loves). Fiji is conveniently located to the Volcano Pool and the dock so it was easy to hop a boat to the MK. I think we might request Fiji again for our Dec trip.

In reading all your replies it seems that Tahiti, Tokelau and Fiji are all great. Are they all close to the TTC? Do they all ahve balconies? How about LV or Garden views. We definately do not want a parking lot or raceway view.

Hi. WE were at Polynesian in August. Stayed in Tokelau, room 2908. Had a balcony. Only problem was that we directly face the construction being done on Hawaii. We could see the lagoon tho. And the beach. We found the walk to TTC very nice, not long at all. About 8-10 minutes. THe bus stop was very close by, as was the laundry area and Neverland Club and arcade. We had a nice quiet pool just across the pathway from our building. It was a little longer walk to GCH and monorail area. But certainly not a big deal.
We liked it there a lot and wouldn't hesitate to stay in Tokelau again.

When is the construction on Hawaii supposed to be done? We are going in MAy and Tokelau sounds great.

When is the construction on Hawaii supposed to be done? We are going in May and Tokelau sounds great.

According to Tikiman's site, construction on Hawaii should be done by Oct. 17th.

Originally posted by arlenerose
We have never been to the Poly but will be there in Dec. It was suggested that we ask for Nuie as I have difficulty walking. Are the 1st floor patios nice? Private?

I thought I had read something about no swimming at the beaches? Is that true? I hate to sit on a sandy beach if I can't go in the water!:p

Arlene

My mom has a difficult time walking and it is really pronounced after a day at the parks! With that in mind, we always request Raratonga. It is right next door to the GCH and an easy walk to the main pool. I know some say that the walk to TTC is an easy 8 minute walk but for my mom and others that have difficulties walking, those 8 minutes are long and can be torture after a day out. Raratonga is non smoking with patios on the first floor and balconies on the third. You get a monorail view or quiet pool view. We always ask and get the monorail view 3rd floor as it is our favorite.

arlenerose - unless you are a smoker I would definetely stay out of niue. We always stayed there but now its changed to smoking so our one ds has asthma and it is not an option now. I also have trouble walking and I am young, I would suggest you look at tikimans site. Keep in mind that you must go to the GCH to get the monorail or walk to the TTC. (That is too far for me). Tried it once. We stayed in Samoa this time. It was a little harder for me walking especially since they moved the bus stop way to the left out front of the Neverland Club. (It used to be right in front of the GCH. I hear other people say rarotonga is o.k. We did cut through the bldg. alot in aug. just to get some a/c and get out of the rain. We did notice a very strong musty smell. I dont know if that bldg. has been renovated. They did have a few construction signs up (barriers). Alot of foreign visitors also stay in this bldg. a cm told my dh. I would agree if the smell was not there that would be a good location for you. Compared to alot of the other resorts the poly is alot less walking. You will enjoy your stay. I know if you need it they do have complimentary wheelchairs if you ask at guest services. THey also have some right out front too. Once we got one for our whole stay at the contem. for my mom. You will love the Poly. The first floor rooms are private if you close your shades. We had a room right in front of the volcano pool. In the day, just close the sheer part and its private, however at night you must close the shade, unless you dont mind being peered at by other guests, and alot of people by the pool kept their shades open, we however did not.

Now we have stayed in Raratonga twice in the last twelve months and never noticed any musty smells. Maybe it was because we were on the 3rd floor? I don't think I noticed anything smelly on the 1st floor either as we walked through it to get to the laundry and elevator. The supervisor of maintenance told me at that time that Raratonga is going down for rehab in January until May so that might not be an option anyway if you are going then. We are going in two weeks and have again requested Raratonga 3rd floor. Can't wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter