• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to stay in New York?

shan08

Earning My Ears
Hi All
Have any of you booked through Airbnb or Homeaway without any hassles?
We stayed in Times Square back in Sept 2010 in an apartment which was recommended through a friend which was on Homeaway.com. It was fantastic. Paid one nights deposit and the balance when we got there. No hassles!
My dilemma is we are going back this sept and planning on staying in the same apartment, but its booked out! I don't want to go down the hotel path, theyre so expensive. Thanks

Hi All
Have any of you booked through Airbnb or Homeaway without any hassles?
We stayed in Times Square back in Sept 2010 in an apartment which was recommended through a friend which was on Homeaway.com. It was fantastic. Paid one nights deposit and the balance when we got there. No hassles!
My dilemma is we are going back this sept and planning on staying in the same apartment, but its booked out! I don't want to go down the hotel path, theyre so expensive. Thanks

I would stay at a hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Trave...City:New-York:Vacation.Apartment.Rentals.html

It's really hard - you have a success story about staying in an apartment, but then you read about other people having nightmares.

I have only ever stayed in hotels in NYC. The Doubletree in Times Square ($$$ - but fabulous), and in 10 weeks we will be staying at the Salisbury on West 57th - both places have 2 rooms, 1 is a bedroom and the other a living room with a sofa bed, microwave, fridge and sink.

The Salisbury is coming recommended by my best friend who stayed there with her DH and 3 DDs. This time there will be 5 of us in the room, my SIL is coming with us. It's an older hotel than the Doubletree, but who cares - I'll be out in NYC!! :banana:

I was reading an Australian woman's blog the other night, they stayed in an apartment downtown, and suddenly there was a knock on the door telling them to get out because the tennant was being evicted due to non-payment of rent - YIKES!! :eek::eek: They also had the original tennant's clothes in the cupboards to deal with....??? :confused3

I suppose that every place has their fans and also their horror stories - but in a hotel you can always hope to be able to be moved to a different room if there is a problem. I would also hate to waste valuable holiday time trying to find a new place to stay. I would trust your instincts - (mine say hotel)!!
Good luck!!

Occasionally I go back to the New York forums on tripadvisor, (brave, I know) a post about illegal apartments never fails to be on the first page. I wouldn't chance it.

if you are looking for cheaper accom but still in the middle of things, i would recommend the pod hotel. it's not for large families, but if you are just travelling with 2 of you, or 2 parents and 2 kids, it can be very economical.

the pod 39 is close to the ESB and is a short walk to practically everything. we have stayed in the single room, bunk room and double room and they were all fine. some reviewers whine about the rooms being small (trust me, they aren't that small, but they are certainly smaller than a full sized suite), and the room rates are around the $149 - $200 a night mark, which can be great if you are trying to save a little. this would be great if you are travelling with adults or grown up teenagers, but if you are travelling with little ones, it's not an ideal place as the room configurations are usually only for 2 people to a room :)

I know someone who has used airbnbb to book NYC - she has recommended the apartment who will stay there in July - I will be waiting to hear what she thinks.

The horror stories on Trip Advisor scared me off.

Candlewood Suites at Times Square on 39th street.

Has kitchenette, tv, space for luggage and a bath - all important for my DH & I. The rate was very low - about $180/night (Oct/Nov). They have their own power generator just in case of storms-lol. It was clean, well stocked and serviced twice weekly for trash/towels. They have access to shared cars and drivers with hotel next door (different name, same chain) and were helpful and friendly. We were walking distance to everything that was important to us and several Starbucks (that became important during the hurricane)!:thumbsup2

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my understanding is its illegal to rent out an apartment for under 30 days in NYC. If the other people who live in the building catch wind of it and call the police you will be evicted and lose your money. There are hundreds of threads on this subject on Trip Advisor in the New York forum.

I would perhaps have a bit of a read through some of those first prior to booking an apartment. It would be such a shame to have your holiday ruined.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks everyone for your input. I can't believe I didn't know this the first time we went. And to think I recommended the apartment to friends that also stayed there, I would have felt terrible if things didn't work out. I can't believe there are thousands out there, and there's no way they can control it. Anyway after days looking I think we're going to go with Affinia Manhattan, after all it won't blow the budget and hopefully we won't spend too much time in the room.

We recently stayed at the hotel Edison when we were there this past January.

A wonderful hotel, for $120 a night we got a two bedroom room with a kitchenette. Staff are amazing! And only a 30sec walk into times square!

Hope you find what your looking for!

We love the Affinia Dumont, walking distance to Times Square, right near subway. rarely gets mentioned anywhere, but has huge rooms with two beds, and a big sofa bed in big living room, full kitchen, large fridge, good food nearby.

Stayed there twice, tried the hyatt once in Wall Street and hated it, ended up moving back to Affinia and loved it.

I have just booked pod 51 in NYC for our trip in November. Great reviews, good location and very affordable for NYC - but as previously mentioned it looks great for a couple of adults, but probably not as good for kids.

Hi! We booked our flights as they were on sale and we had certain dates to work with then realized we'll be in NYC over Thanksgiving! Accommodation is pricey!! Have gone with the Newton Hotel for the minute. Anyone stayed there?

We had a very good stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. It was in early Feb so rates were low but by NY standards it was unbelievably cheap.....$122/night for a king room. Rooms are big, staff was incredibly friendly and courteous, felt very secure, two blocks or so from Times Square. Just a good deal. The one down side is that there is a fire house across from the hotel on one side. You don't want to be over there! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter