Where to stay in LA?

Discussion in 'Southern California Theme Parks' started by Disneylovers2000, May 5, 2012.

1. Disneylovers2000

Disneylovers2000 DIS Veteran

We are a family of 4 (2 - 12year olds) and are headed to SoCal next summer (2013):cool1:. We were originally going to make it a Disney only trip but have now extended it to a few things in LA as well. We would like to spend 2 - 3 days in LA rather than driving back and forth from Anaheim. Is this recommended?
    In LA we want to :
    Universal
    Santa Monica Pier
    Original Farmers Market and The Grove
    Griffith Park
    Quick trip through Hollywood and Beverly Hills - from what I read, a short trip is all that is recommended.
    Shopping at the Citadel.

I mostly want to know :surfweb: where to stay in LA. Our budget allows for about $150ish a night for hotel. What will I get for this kind of money - or would it just be better to stay in Anaheim and drive back and forth. If you have stayed in a great place in LA please share your experience!!:worship:
    Thanks for your help!!:goodvibes

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mbw12

mbw12 <font color=blue>DVC member<br><font color=red>Has

Just subbing to this thread becasue I am in the beginning stages of planning a Disney/LA trip too for next year!!!

4. BayAreaMom

BayAreaMom Mouseketeer

I would agree- say in LA rather than Anaheim. The AM commute pattern heads north (where the jobs are), and its a wall of traffic on the 5. Then it reverses in the pm. So unless you leave super early and return super late, leaving Anaheim and heading N is not advised.

I absolutely LOVE Griffith Park (specifically, the observatory, which has a cool FREE -and big- exhibit area) and The Grove/Farmers Market. I also love the Peterson Auto Museum (next to the tar pits and page museum, if that interests you).

I can't help with hotels, but I'd check travelzoo as I typically find great hotel deals there.

5. sheetz

sheetz DIS Veteran

Definitely stay in the LA area. Since you will have a car you might want to try staying somewhere a little away from the central tourist locations. Not only will rooms be cheaper, but you may even get free parking.

6. DisneytheKid

DisneytheKid A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Additionally, I would find the area you like and go to some of the websites that just give you the star rating and the low price to find a hotel (Not sure if its against the sites rules to name the website). We have used them in the past to get 4 star hotels in the area we wanted for a lot lower than we had seen on other sites.