Where to stay for first night of trip

4daubers

Mouseketeer
We are on a 5 year cycle for our WDW trips and will be going in July..wish we could go more often. We travel from central Texas and have stayed at a KOA near Tallahassee...then push to Fort Wilderness the 2nd day.

Any recommendations for a overnight spot for RVs?

Thanks!

If the KOA worked before in the past, then stick with it. I like KOAs.

The KOA was fine, I just thought members might have some different recommendations.

When we went in December, we stayed in a KOA just past Pensacola in Milton. It was called Gulf Pines KOA. They had a nice pool, mini golf (free) for the kids, and incredibly clean bathrooms. The sites were level, and we had a pull-through right next to the pool and restrooms. The staff were extremely friendly, and had we not been in such a hurry the next morning, we could have had free continental breakfast. I highly recommend it - easy on and easy off from I-10. We, too were travelling from central TX. Hope this helps!

We stayed at the Milton KOA in December and really liked it, but if the original poster wants to go farther the first night, I can recommend the Tallahassee RV Park just off the last Tallahassee exit. This will leave them only about 5 hours to travel the next day. We've stayed at the Tallahassee RV Park many times on our way to and from WDW and we really like it. It's less than a mile from I-10 and has easy access to a gas station and grocery store between the interstate and the campground. Most of the sites are pull-through. We always ask for a site near the comfort station because we don't unhitch, just hook up the electricity and water, so we can be on our way quickly very early the next morning when I hear WDW calling me to get up from my cosy bed and get moving. :yay:

Thanks!

It's amazing how much longer the trip seems from the Florida panhandle to WDW than Texas to Florida. Must be that Mickey anticipation.

I can recommend the Tallahassee RV Park just off the last Tallahassee exit. This will leave them only about 5 hours to travel the next day. We've stayed at the Tallahassee RV Park many times on our way to and from WDW and we really like it. It's less than a mile from I-10 and has easy access to a gas station and grocery store between the interstate and the campground. Most of the sites are pull-through.
Thanks for this info. We have ressies there for our trip down at the end of March. :thumbsup2

We always stay at Jellystone Campground in Madison. Madison is about an hour past Tallahassee (and is the half way point for us). The campground is right off the Interstate, so it's quick and easy to get to. It's a very nice campground and the people there are great.

It's also perfect for us to get up the next morning, have a leisurely breakfast and arrive at Ft. Wilderness right around check in time.:cool1:

Happy Camping!

We are going down for Easter and I found a great state park in Chipley, FL which seems a nice break for an overnight stay. I think I wil give it a try, we really prefer state parks to KOA's plus they are about 1/2 the price. Anyone familiar with it:

Falling Waters SP
1130 State Park Road
Chipley FL 32428

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter