Where to stay 2-3 hours North on I75

zaja4

Earning My Ears
We have a long drive from Chicago, we are thinking we would like to drive until we are 2-3 hours from Disney, stop for the night, and then drive the last bit before we head to Epcot. We will be on I-75, North of Disney. Would anyone have a suggestion for a hotel or a town? Also, will we hit a lot of traffic heading into Disney Thurs a.m. , I am also considering just pushing the drive all the way into Disney Wed wee hours? Thanks

Depending on how fast you drive/stops, etc. Lake City, FL (just over the GA/FL line on I75) is about 2.5 - 3 hours from WDW; Gainesville, FL is about 2 - 2.5 hours; and Ocala, FL is about an hour to an hour and half (we do it in an hour ;) ) When planning a deoarture time for Thurs morning and driving on to WDW that you may want to avoid Orlando during the morning rush hour.

As someone who graduated from the University of Florida (in Gainesville), there are a lot of cheap decent hotels right off I-75 for 3 exits. I could usually make it from the interstate to Disney in just under 2 hours going about 75mph. Ocala is about 30 minutes closer to Disney, and even home to one of the "official Disney information" centers. Of course you could end up being so excited you'll just drive all the way to Disney!

Elissa

We drove to Gainesville and stopped for the night there last Wednesday. We stayed in the Fairfield Inn. It is right off the interstate, though I admit it was kind of hard to find. It is way down a slighly isolated road. (look for the Home Depot) But for a one night stay to rest your weary head, it was a decent hotel. I wouldn't want to spend my entire vacation there, but it worked well for us. Rooms are only around $50 and that includes breakfast. From there it was just around 2 hours to the park. We left on a Thursday (just like you are planning) and had hardly any traffic. We didn't leave till around 8 am and we were at the park around 10.

Originally posted by sharktums
As someone who graduated from the University of Florida (in Gainesville), there are a lot of cheap decent hotels right off I-75 for 3 exits. I could usually make it from the interstate to Disney in just under 2 hours going about 75mph. Ocala is about 30 minutes closer to Disney, and even home to one of the "official Disney information" centers. Of course you could end up being so excited you'll just drive all the way to Disney!

Elissa

I'm a UF alumni too (go Gators!). I do remember a lot of cheap hotels in Gainesville. There's one down on 13th Street called the Bambi Motel. I've never been in there though.

Let me second the Fairfield Inn that someone else visited in Gainsville. It is clean and just beyond the Home Depot at an exit that is easy on and off.

We stayed at a very nice Quality Inn in Ocala ( the exit before the Disney Welcome center). They were very good about making you feel welcome. Also recommend from I-75 you take the turnpike to rt 27 to 192, you avoid a lot of trafic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter