Where to sell Disney park tix I won?

kikileo

Earning My Ears
I hope it's okay to post this here--this is my first official post and I'm still learning the ropes.

This spring, I won 4 adult park-hopper passes (each is only good for one day). We are going to Disney in September, but ended up doing a package deal. The CM that handled everything for us said that we could not use the tickets I won b/c it would disqualify us from the free dining offer.

As greedy as it sounds, I would like to sell them and get the money to help offset the costs of the trip. Should I try selling them on Ebay, or is there a better way to go about it? Also, the letter that came from Disney Corporate stated that each ticket was worth approx. $130-ish dollars (don't have the exact amount as I am currently out of town). How much should I expect to be able to sell them for? $50/per ticket? Is that too much!!

Thanks so much any advice, it is greatly appreciated!

:) Karen

I think that technically it is illegal to resale, although tons of people do it. I would personally save the tickets and use them for an extra day *OR* in Orlando you can sell them to all those local shops I guess? Not sure how much you will get. But I imagine it won't be that easy (or legal) to sell online without having much of a "history" on ebay with ticket sales. LIke i said, I think you can also be prosecuted for doing so, though the chances are small.

JMO. Good luck with this post, you're about to get flamed I imagine.:rolleyes:

The problem with selling tickets (although its legal since they haven't been used) is that there are many people saying tickets that aren't useable out there so most people are VERY weary about buying tickets from someone they don't know.

The reason for this is there is no way to know how many days are really on the ticket, if they have been used, etc. As soon as a ticket is first used, even if it is a multiday ticket they are then non-transferable and due to the finger print scanners likely to not work.

Unless you know anyone personally that may want the tickets I don't know how you would sell them.

Also it would be good to know if these tickets can be upgraded (sometimes complimentary tickets can't be) that will have a large impact on that value to someone else.

Free dining might be more expensive for you since you already have $520 worth of tickets. Just upgrade your tickets when you get there, get a room only discount, and pay for dining out of your pocket. That will almost certainly be cheaper than getting free dining.

These tickets are most likely comp so they can't be upgraded and have a varying amount of values depending on the length of your trip.

Free dining might be more expensive for you since you already have $520 worth of tickets. Just upgrade your tickets when you get there, get a room only discount, and pay for dining out of your pocket. That will almost certainly be cheaper than getting free dining.

But if the tickets she won were donated by Disney they may be complimentary tickets which cannot be upgraded.

Liz

I hope it's okay to post this here--this is my first official post and I'm still learning the ropes.

This spring, I won 4 adult park-hopper passes (each is only good for one day). We are going to Disney in September, but ended up doing a package deal. The CM that handled everything for us said that we could not use the tickets I won b/c it would disqualify us from the free dining offer.

As greedy as it sounds, I would like to sell them and get the money to help offset the costs of the trip. Should I try selling them on Ebay, or is there a better way to go about it? Also, the letter that came from Disney Corporate stated that each ticket was worth approx. $130-ish dollars (don't have the exact amount as I am currently out of town). How much should I expect to be able to sell them for? $50/per ticket? Is that too much!!

Thanks so much any advice, it is greatly appreciated!

:) Karen

First off.....Welcome to the boards!

Now my question....how would it disqualify you for FD (free dining)? How long will you be staying in WDW? Maybe this is a misunderstanding on my part, but to get the FD all you have to do is get a minimum of a 2 day ticket with the package and you don't even have to use them when you get to WDW.

So if it were me, I'd buy tickets for 1 day less than you're staying and use your freebies.

Why? I apologized in advance if I was posting in the wrong place.

I do have a history of selling on Ebay, although I've only sold tickets there twice--once for "Wicked" and another time for a Sting concert (years ago). The transactions went really well and my feedback is perfect.

I had no idea it was illegal to resell tickets.

I've asked everyone I know if they were interested in them and no takers so far. We can't use them for an extra day as we've already booked our airfare and really cannot stay another day. Dh's work schedule won't permit it, and we're already taking the kids out of school. This will most likely be our only trip to Disney in the next few years--we live in New Jersey and book most of our vacations a year out. As excited as we are about taking the kids to Disney, for the money, I'd rather spend our money on our "usual" trips.

Thanks again,
Karen

I do have a history of selling on Ebay, although I've only sold tickets there twice--once for "Wicked" and another time for a Sting concert (years ago). The transactions went really well and my feedback is perfect.

I've asked everyone I know if they were interested in them and no takers so far. We can't use them for an extra day as we've already booked our airfare and really cannot stay another day. Dh's work schedule won't permit it, and we're already taking the kids out of school. This will most likely be our only trip to Disney in the next few years--we live in New Jersey and book most of our vacations a year out. As excited as we are about taking the kids to Disney, for the money, I'd rather spend our money on our "usual" trips.

Thanks again,
Karen

I'm from NJ too...so a special NJ welcome as well :thumbsup2

But if the tickets she won were donated by Disney they may be complimentary tickets which cannot be upgraded.

Liz

They're pretty much worthless then unless at some point you would be taking a trip to Orlando and only visiting Disney for one day. Otherwise you're saving $32 by having these "free tickets"

I think that technically it is illegal to resale, although tons of people do it. I would personally save the tickets and use them for an extra day *OR* in Orlando you can sell them to all those local shops I guess? Not sure how much you will get. But I imagine it won't be that easy (or legal) to sell online without having much of a "history" on ebay with ticket sales. LIke i said, I think you can also be prosecuted for doing so, though the chances are small.

It's only illegal to re-sell your tickets if you're trying to scalp them - meaning you're trying to sell them for more than face value. As long as you stay at face value or under, then you're fine.

Of course, you probably won't find anyone who would pay face value for ticket from someone they don't know when they could just get them from Disney. I don't think asking $50 per ticket is too much, in fact that's a fantastic deal. Do you know anyone who's going to be in the Orlando area for just a day or two? Oops, just read that you've already tried that!!

Do we know for certain that is it illegal to sell new, UNUSED tickets? I'd find out for sure before deciding how to go.

Are the comp tickets long enough to cover your stay? If not, then maybe keep them for another trip? Or if they ARE long enough, then downgrade your package tickets to 2 days (the minimum required for FD, regardless of how many nights on your package).

And people pay more than they should for stuff on Ebay all the time. If it's legal to sell them, then go for it, but don't sell yourself short at $50. I bet they'd pay $100 easy, maybe more. If you have a letter showing they were won in a contest, then include the letter.

Thanks again,
Karen

No you will not get flamed because the PP is wrong. You can sell unused tickets but as others have posted, its difficult to sell to sell them to strangers because the buyers have no way of knowing if they are legit.

As I posted above, since these are most likely comp tickets, they only have a value of around $130 if someone is only going for a 1 to 3 day trip after 4 days if you just tack them on to the end of your trip you save $8 a ticket.

The only thing that has a little value is the PH option. It could be used by someone with a 4 day plus ticket to hop just one day on a 5 day trip.

Since its $55 for PH on all tickets 2 to 10 days, for a 5 day trip I would say they are worth about $20 each.

$8 for the extra day and about $11.00 for one day day of PH on a 5 day trip ($55/5 days)

First off.....Welcome to the boards!

Now my question....how would it disqualify you for FD (free dining)? How long will you be staying in WDW? Maybe this is a misunderstanding on my part, but to get the FD all you have to do is get a minimum of a 2 day ticket with the package and you don't even have to use them when you get to WDW.

So if it were me, I'd buy tickets for 1 day less than you're staying and use your freebies.

Thank you for the welcome!! I didn't get it either (when I was explaining to the CM that we wanted our park tix for one day less than what we are staying, which is 7 days). She was adamant that we wouldn't qualify for the free dining b/c the number of days at the hotel/in the parks had to be the same as the number of days we were planning on having the meal plan. I probably should have questioned it more, but I just wanted to get the whole thing booked and be done with it. Stress level is high right now--I'm currently job-hunting after a 6-year hiatus to stay home with the kids and I don't have much energy to devote to travel plans.

Anyway, Neil Patrick Harris (or should I call you Doogie, lol?), the package is already booked and paid for. It's my understanding (and again, I know I could be totally wrong about this since I'm a newbie) that we can't switch to a room only discount at this point in time. We did run the numbers and the package seems to be a better deal. We were originally staying at the GF with a room only discount for the price of $2600. We're now at the Polynesian and getting the room, park tickets, and dining plan for $3700. We thought this was a pretty good deal.

I have all the documents from corporate offices that came with the tickets (and yes, they were donated to our school's fundraiser) so I was thinking that would at least help in terms of validating their authenticity.

Maybe I just need to call Disney back......

Thank you again!

I go along with a prior poster.

When purchasing a package, you only HAVE to buy a 2 day park ticket. If that is the case, lessen your park tickets by a day and save the money in the package deal.

For example, if your package has 4 days worth of park tickets, then cut it down to 3. You would still get free dining for ALL nights of your package, and then you can use the freebies.

I did that recently. My DW and I were staying for 6 nights, but knew we were going to the park only on 4 days. We had 2 days left on some non expiration tickets, so I only purchased 2 days of tickets with the package. Still got 6 nights of dining credits though and saved about $300 on the park tickets.

What's even better is if you know you are going to spend 2 whole days in one park without hopping, I would only buy a 2 day base ticket in the package, then upgrade your comp hopper tickets by adding extra days, if you can. That way you won't have to pay for hopping since that is part of your free ticket. For 4 people that's a $200 savings right there!

1. Do we know for certain that is it illegal to sell new, UNUSED tickets? I'd find out for sure before deciding how to go.

2. Are the comp tickets long enough to cover your stay? If not, then maybe keep them for another trip? Or if they ARE long enough, then downgrade your package tickets to 2 days (the minimum required for FD, regardless of how many nights on your package).

3. And people pay more than they should for stuff on Ebay all the time. If it's legal to sell them, then go for it, but don't sell yourself short at $50. I bet they'd pay $100 easy, maybe more. If you have a letter showing they were won in a contest, then include the letter.

1, You can sell them since they have never been used.

2. Another take on their value is if one person used all the tickets for one trip so you would compare the 4 tickets to a 4 day non upgradable PH.

3. The letter just says at one time these tickets were good, not if they are good now. So there is still the issue of if they are good. (OP I know you know they are good but your buyers don't)

Before I sold them for much less than a reasonable amount, I'd probably just put them aside. Who knows, maybe one day down the road you'll want to pop down for a weekend trip, doing MSNNHP twice with one park hopping day in between. Or maybe in conjunction with a trip to Universal.

Those tickets really lose value if they cannot be upgraded, as people rarely go for one day. So keeping them for yourself for the RIGHT trip might be the best use of all.

Don't kick yourself for getting fewer days for this trip (and yes, that CM WAS wrong). Getting 1 less day per ticket would have only saved $8 per ticket.

Cannot thank you guys enough for all the advice and help--I'm going to call Disney this afternoon (once the kids are out with my parents so I won't be interrupted, hah) and get this resolved. I can totally get why someone would be leery to buy them b/c, as a pp mentioned, they don't know me and have no way of knowing if they truly are legit.

Ugh, I wish I had tried harder on the original booking the vacay package call!!
It just seems weird that the CM was so adamant, no??

Zippy Doo Dah, Woo hoo--another Garden Stater! :)

Fingers crossed I can use these bad boys!

She was adamant that we wouldn't qualify for the free dining b/c the number of days at the hotel/in the parks had to be the same as the number of days we were planning on having the meal plan.

To my knowledge, this is only half true (read: incorrect). You must take the dining for the entire length of your stay (whether free or paid for), so the dining and the number of nights at the resort must match for all members of your party.

However, as someone else posted, you are only supposed to be required to make a minimum purchase of 2-day base tickets to qualify for free dining. So I would second what someone else said... book the package with tickets that are one day less than you actually need and use the comp tickets on one of the days you're there. That would provide you the greatest value and you no longer have to worry about the hassle of selling the tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter