Where to leave backpacks when riding rides?

The OP is from the Mississippi Delta, so he's already used to miserable heat. Right, OP? You may even find Orlando a welcome change, with the occasional breeze and afternoon rain.

Like others have said, Space Mountain is the tightest squeeze. Pro tip: sit in the very front seat as it has more leg room.

Yes, I saw where the OP was from, but does he/she walk around their hometown for 8 or more miles a day with a huge backpack on? I don't, even here in the north where it's cooler and occassionally less humid.

a normal size smaller backpack is fine on any ride - but be careful on ToT, lol...one year my husband just put it on the floor at his feet & forgot to put his foot through - the backpack actually floated in mid-air :eek:

Hulk and Dragon are at Universal IOA, not Disney, and I believe you are not allowed to take bags on those rides (other than maybe a small fanny pack I think). You have to rent a locker and it isn't always the most convenient thing. As others have said though, at Disney you can take bags on all the rides.

Yes, that is true. Riding the rides at Universal, and having to store even the smallest thing, is a HUGE pain in the, well, you know what. The lockers are always crowded with people, I think they charge you for it, just a waste of time. Aggravating.

a normal size smaller backpack is fine on any ride - but be careful on ToT, lol...one year my husband just put it on the floor at his feet & forgot to put his foot through - the backpack actually floated in mid-air :eek:

I gotta try that! To bad it's not safe for people; I want to float too. :rotfl:

I gotta try that! To bad it's not safe for people; I want to float too. :rotfl:

it WAS pretty cool - we were all looking at it open-mouthed (while the ride was dropping and rising the whole time, lol) then it hit me that the back-pack could whack someone in the head, so I jerked it down & held on to it;)

it WAS pretty cool - we were all looking at it open-mouthed (while the ride was dropping and rising the whole time, lol) then it hit me that the back-pack could whack someone in the head, so I jerked it down & held on to it;)

Yeah, the whole wacking someone in the head wouldn't be a good thing. Maybe I'll try it during an EMH when I'm the only one on the ride. Wouldn't be the first time I've been whacked in the head. :lmao:

Never leave anything other than an empty stroller. Carry your backpack with you.

I agree you should leave nothing of significant value in a stroller, but if you are traveling with a small child there are probably some things that you could chance leaving behind rather than lugging with you on rides. When DD was really little, I had two separate bags. One contained things I would never leave behind like camera, wallet, medication. The other had a few diapers, wipes, and maybe a change of clothes for DD. That could stay in the stroller because I wouldn't be heartbroken, or out much money, if someone took it. But I never had anything taken from my stroller.

Thanks for the replies. These boards are the best. I wasn't sure about taking a backpack on certain rides because I was thinking of buying one of the bigger backpacks that can be used as a carry on also. Anyone taken this type of backpack on big rollercoasters like Hulk, Dragon, and Space Mountain?

You're mixing parks together! :upsidedow At Disney you can take some rather large carry bags with you but I'm not quite certain just how large of a pack you are talking about! :scared:

At Universal you would constantly be looking for a locker and if it is a large bag you will have difficulty getting that into their lockers. The free ones at the attractions they require you to leave items behind are fairly small. I'd hate to guess on size but a very large backpack won't fit in most.

If you have a large backpack, I would imagine you are travelling with kids. (If not, just carry less stuff.)

For the kids, when they were in the stroller stage, we kept a lot of things in a bag under the stroller (extra clothes, diapers, wipes, bottles of water, etc.) Now that they are ambulatory, they carry their own water bottles and their spray fans (if they want them, they can carry them) and anything else they can't do without (mickey ears included). So, my husband and I each have a small bag for money. a camera, ponchos, small snacks and a water bottle each and we are good to go.

I actually use my purse which is about 6x6x8 inches completely stuffed and I have no problems carrying my share (my husband, who still refuses to carry a murse, sticks to a more manly backpack).

Yes, I am from the Mississippi Delta and it gets very hot and humid here. The heat doesn't bother me and if I had to carry a backpack all day wouldn't bother me as I am a big guy and work out alot. My son would also join in with the back pack. I just didn't know if it would fit on rides with us or not or if it was wise to leave it where you get on the ride. It would be six of us and we were thinking of different things we may want to bring to the parks with us and I was thinking of a big backpack. After reading some of the post I may pass on it or just bring a small one. I do appreciate everyone's replies to my post. I am sure I will have a few more questions before next month comes.

Yes, I am from the Mississippi Delta and it gets very hot and humid here. The heat doesn't bother me and if I had to carry a backpack all day wouldn't bother me as I am a big guy and work out alot. My son would also join in with the back pack. I just didn't know if it would fit on rides with us or not or if it was wise to leave it where you get on the ride. It would be six of us and we were thinking of different things we may want to bring to the parks with us and I was thinking of a big backpack. After reading some of the post I may pass on it or just bring a small one. I do appreciate everyone's replies to my post. I am sure I will have a few more questions before next month comes.

If there are six of you, I would highly advise to have everyone carry their own stuff. Even little kids can deal with a waist pack (maybe they aren't stylish but you aren't at Disney World to get your photo in Glamour magazine). If you were thinking about taking in bottles of water, you can get water bottle straps at the parks and each person can have their own bottle with them. That will also save on the "can I have the water?" stuff.

I take a small child's backpack with me and my husband takes a day bag. We each carry our own ponchos and phone. I have a water bottle that is in an outside pocket of the backpack. We both have car keys, our ID, medical insurance card, room key, credit card, a $20 bill. And that's about it. If you have young kids, you might want an extra set of clothes. What more is needed? There are first aid stations if you need a band aid. You might want to take food to save money but then I'd suggest you store that in a locker instead of lugging it around all day.

Even if you are a big guy, touring the parks with a huge backpack for even eight hours is going to wear you down.

Unlike some other amusement parks where you can just leave your bag "on the other side" when you board a coaster, you can't do this at Disney if that's what your thinking.

99% of the time you board the ride at a different place than where you get off and Disney doesn't provide lockers at the rides. I guess you could leave a larger bag (without any valuables) in the stroller parking but that is going to be very inconvenient.

Have fun planning :)

I am planning on bringing a backpack on our trip next month and was wondering when our whole group go on rides where is the best place to leave it? Will it be safe and how difficult to get after getting off ride?

we turn them around and wear on the front :cool1:of us if possible or lay in the seat between us

Thanks everyone. I have decided to carry a small one and everyone else will have fanny packs or small packs. As far as me having a big pack on my back all day it is no big deal to me I have done it many times in my lifetime. Alot of working out and training over the years.:thumbsup2 Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. These boards are the best. I wasn't sure about taking a backpack on certain rides because I was thinking of buying one of the bigger backpacks that can be used as a carry on also.

I would rethink carrying such a huge backpack if I were you. No need to lug around so much stuff all day long - what a pain! I know that some folks bring lots of bottles of water and things, which they carry in their packs all day - that's crazy to me! I'd rather bring one refillable bottle, then get ice water from CS restaurants and fill my bottle.

If you really do need lots of stuff with you, you'd be better off renting a locker (they have them at every park and water park) and stashing your big pack there. I use a small backpack or messenger bag, which works great for me. You can always put things like jackets, lunches, etc. in a locker, and just carry around the necessities with you.

Thanks for the replies. These boards are the best. I wasn't sure about taking a backpack on certain rides because I was thinking of buying one of the bigger backpacks that can be used as a carry on also. Anyone taken this type of backpack on big rollercoasters like Hulk, Dragon, and Space Mountain?
Bags are not allowed on the coasters at Universal, but they have lockers right next to the attraction that are free for a certain amount of time (I wanna say its like 60 minutes or something, but I don't remember) generally plenty of time to wait in line, go on the ride and retrieve your bag.

Unlike some other amusement parks where you can just leave your bag "on the other side" when you board a coaster, you can't do this at Disney if that's what your thinking.

99% of the time you board the ride at a different place than where you get off and Disney doesn't provide lockers at the rides. I guess you could leave a larger bag (without any valuables) in the stroller parking but that is going to be very inconvenient.

Have fun planning :)

I think I've seen bag leaving at the Barnstormer (now Goofini) but that is about it.

Bags are not allowed on the coasters at Universal, but they have lockers right next to the attraction that are free for a certain amount of time (I wanna say its like 60 minutes or something, but I don't remember) generally plenty of time to wait in line, go on the ride and retrieve your bag.

Actually, the time the locker is free varies based on the expected wait time of the ride. For this reason, guests should use the lockers associated with the ride they are on or they risk a fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter