Where to go with young kids besides Disney parks? (yes, I did ask that)

ryan840

DIS Veteran
Hi. I know that this is a Disney board and that we all love Disney, but I was looking for some advice from families with toddlers and pre-schoolers. We are going to WDW in May, and can't wait! My question is this- where else have you gone with your kids on family vacations? My husband doesn't want to go to WDW every year for fear that the kids will grow to accustomed to it (not that they wouldn't still have a great time), and to an extent I agree. So where would you suggest we go next year? (not necessarily in FL) Our son will be 2-3 then, and we hope to have an addition by then- I can't think of any other kid friendly places for that age. Thanks! And yes, we do hope to make many trips to Disney in the future. :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Hmmm...

When my son was a toddler we vacationed at Beaches in Jamaica. It's the sister resort of the famous Sandals, but is for familiies. It was all-inclusive, and had so much for the kids to do.

I would be inclined to try a cruise which had good children's programs....

We just got back from WDW with my 2 year old and 5 year old. Two is a tough age for travelling, I think.............

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought about Jamaica, and I didn't realize that cruises (adise from Disney cruises) would have childrens programs. I defnately agree with you, two is a hard age, that's why I'm looking for help. Keep em comin'!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but what about Disneyland instead of World. That would get you to a different region with lots of interesting things to do. Also, I agree 2 is a tough age to travel. At that age, they don't remember a lot, but it can sure be fun. I'd say keep it simple, how about just going to a nice, quiet camp area with kids activities (Jellystone park and other sites around the country). Kids love to sit lake-side and build sandcastles or go out on small boats. At that age, they don't need fancy rides.

If would be easier to help if you gave an idea where you lived... I'm in the Northeast and places like Hershey park and Sesame Place are great. In fact, for a 2 year old, Sesame Place in the summer is almost the perfect vacation spot. Spend two days there and he'll have a ball!!

We just got back from a Carnival Cruise with a 4 & 6 year old and they had lots to do for the kids. I just felt it wasn't very relaxing because I felt like we would drop them off and finally get settled at the pool and it was time to go pick them up again. Too many schedules and not enough relaxing. Also the pools on cruises are saltwater and neither of my kids would swim in the yucky water as they called it.

We like to camp for family vacations in the summer and winter vacations are somewhere warm for mommy and daddy except this year was Disney. Next year it will be just mommy and daddy in Mexico relaxing

We've been travelling with our son since he was 11 months old. We have done Disney many times - We'll be there again, at the Poly, in April for our 10th Anniversary (we honeymooned at the Wilderness Lodge) and for Cam's 5th birthday (we did years 3 and 4 there also).

We have also done Beaches, but in Turks & Caicos, which we like better than Jamaica. We have also stayed at FDR Resort in Runaway Bay, Jamaica. (Beaches is much nicer.) Both properties have great programs for kids of all ages. Most cruises do not have programs for kids under age 3. We are trying our first cruise this October.

We have also stayed at Disney's Vero Beach, the now Nickelodeon Family Suites (it was great before it changed - Looks awesome now). You could also try the Club Med in Stuart. Not on the beach, but great kids programs. I like the resorts, like Beaches and FDR and Club Med, that allow you to do things together as a family, as well as let the adults get some "grown-up" time. It's nice to have dinner and not be fishing Cheerios out from under the table.

Also, the more you travel, the better your kids will be about it. We even took Cam to Key West last May - It was my 40th - which is a pretty adult oriented place, and he had a blast. He likes seeing and doing new things.

Lots of planning, lots of lists, and lots of suitcases - I always try to be prepared - and lots of preparation for the munchkins, make travelling a lot of fun.

Just pick places and do things that appeal to all of you - And remember to go with the flow, 'cuz you're on vacation. You'll all have a great time regardless of where you end up!

Have a blast, whatever you decide!

iluvtig

We take a long weekend to Sesame Place every year. My DD LOVES it!!! She asked if she can still go after her trip to Mickey's House and to Sea World. Oy!

Thanks to all for the ideas, they're great. To answer your question step4now, I live in MI and have never heard of Sesame Place, but I definately want to know more, it sounds like the perfect place. I'd still love to hear more ides, so keep em coming :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Try going to Wisconsin Dells. There are boat tours,huge indoor and outdoor water parks, amusements galore, kid friendly bars /resturants etc....My toddlers loved it and of course we now go every year. Just know that it can be just as expensive as Disney. Go to Dells.com................TAZ :wave2:

It's outside Philadelphia, and you could fly in and easily spend a week in Pennsylvania. We have the dutch country in Lancaster, about 2 hours away from Sesame Place, we have Philadelphia with the Please Touch museum, all for kids that is great, we have a great aquarium on a ferry boat to N.J. And Atlantic city is an hour and a half away, with wonderful beaches in small towns near there.
PM me if you want any more ideas.

These are all great ideas, thanks! The gears are already turning, and we still have over a month and a half until WDW!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

step4now said:
I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but what about Disneyland instead of World. That would get you to a different region with lots of interesting things to do. Also, I agree 2 is a tough age to travel. At that age, they don't remember a lot, but it can sure be fun. I'd say keep it simple, how about just going to a nice, quiet camp area with kids activities (Jellystone park and other sites around the country). Kids love to sit lake-side and build sandcastles or go out on small boats. At that age, they don't need fancy rides.

If would be easier to help if you gave an idea where you lived... I'm in the Northeast and places like Hershey park and Sesame Place are great. In fact, for a 2 year old, Sesame Place in the summer is almost the perfect vacation spot. Spend two days there and he'll have a ball!!

We have gone to sesame place three summers in a row, we make a week out of it and go to nearby places like NJ aquarium, take the ferry over to Philly, go to the please touch me museum, an awesome children's museum that has a large Where the WIld Things Are exhibit! My little ones are 2 and 4 and they absolutely love sesame place. And you get 2 days for the price of one!

We also take the drive down to Ocean City and spend the day at the boardwalk with an amusement park, beach and pleanty of good food. We stay in Mt. Laurel, NJ which is a small town that has great hotels at good prices. We stay at the summerfield suites.

I have to say, I think I'm going to Sesame Place next year! Now I guess I should tell my husband...then I have to decide when to go to all these other places...I'll have the next ten years planned out before we get to WDW :crazy:

I am going to rain on the Sesame Place parade. It is not nearly as nice a place as it could be. The crowds in the summer are unbelievable and it is still mostly just a water park(they have added a few rides but not many) We go every year once with the kids because we live close by- no way would I plan a flying vacation around this one(sorry to those that love it) We have our second favorite place...Kiawah Island in SC. It is about 15 minutes outside of Charleston. It is cute right on the beach tons of kids activities in the summer.- ones that you can do with them or drop off activitites if you want. It is very family friendly with activities planned all day long if you want. We love it here. My kids even chose this instead of Disney last year! I would also suggest southern Ca. Like San Diego... They have the Zoo/Legoland
Disney not so far away/Seaworld and the beach! So much fun family stuff to do here.
Not to really beat up Sesame Place but it is a one day type of trip- you could do the Lancaster County stuff mentioned with the trip- You could even hit Hershey Park if you wanted. And we love all the Phili stuff and belong to the Aquarium(now closed for refrubrishment) But again I would not do it. We waited one hour to buy lunch in Sesame Place(the shortest line we could find) and this was during the week.

well if you are talking about florida i found, universal and
IOA very kid friendly

Hmmm... every time I turn around there's something else to consider! Bring it on, I've got over a year!! :cool1:

We love going to the Charelston area too. Kiawah is great and have stayed at the Isle of palms.

Williamsburg, VA--have a great time there

San Antonio, TX--Sea world, river, alamo, and about 1 hour away the water park in german sch. . . .can't spell that one--sorry!! Can only say it.

Like going to gatlinburg/pidgeon fordge TN--

Myrtle Beach, SC

My kids have enjoyed all of the above. . . .good luck

I love Gatlinburg, it's the best! My grandparents only live a couple hours away. (Not including the hour it takes to go through Pigeon Forge during the busy season!). As our son gets older, I'm sure it'll become an annual trip, especially when he can enjoy the rides at Dollywood.

Schlitterbahn now has two waterparks, one in New Braunfels (a lazy river with waves) and one near the Gulf coast. Considering a Texas vacation next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter