Where to go on a Friday night for dinner/drink, alone?

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
I'm a married female in my late 30s. My friend will be with me for most of the weekend, but she can't come 'till Saturday and I'm arriving on Friday.

I do travel a lot by myself and I am comfortable eating by myself at the bar section of a restaurant. Usually I'm able to have a nice conversation with other people at the bar too.

So I'm thinking Friday night I would like to do that--maybe an appetizer or not too heavy an entree + an awesome dessert + a nice glass of wine or other drink. If a place is known for being more "social" that would be great because I'd love to chat with other people.

Any suggestions? I'm open to any place-Downtown Disney, one of the resort restaurants, or something in one of the parks.

On my last solo trip, I had great experiences at Portobello and Raglan Road in Downtown Disney.
My favorite park restaurant is the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios, and I've read they opened a "lounge" in recent years. Do you think that would be something that would fit what I'm looking for?

Thanks

I'm a married female in my late 30s. My friend will be with me for most of the weekend, but she can't come 'till Saturday and I'm arriving on Friday. I do travel a lot by myself and I am comfortable eating by myself at the bar section of a restaurant. Usually I'm able to have a nice conversation with other people at the bar too. So I'm thinking Friday night I would like to do that--maybe an appetizer or not too heavy an entree + an awesome dessert + a nice glass of wine or other drink. If a place is known for being more "social" that would be great because I'd love to chat with other people. Any suggestions? I'm open to any place-Downtown Disney, one of the resort restaurants, or something in one of the parks. On my last solo trip, I had great experiences at Portobello and Raglan Road in Downtown Disney. My favorite park restaurant is the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios, and I've read they opened a "lounge" in recent years. Do you think that would be something that would fit what I'm looking for? Thanks

The Brown Derby lounge is nice as is Tutto Gusto in EPCOT's Italy.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'd imagine DTD would be the best atmosphere for solo at a lounge, but I like the resort lounge idea as well. Maybe Territory Lounge at Wilderness Lodge? Also I love seeing Yehaa Bob in the lounge at POR!! (though the menu is pretty meh...)

DTD:
Raglan Road plus they have dancers/singers to watch if no one is around to converse with.
Both T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe have large bar areas with TVs.

I have eaten alone at the bar at the Portobello Yacht Club and The Flying Fish. Also, the lounge at Shula's in the Dolphin has small tables where you can have an appetizer or a whole meal, and it is fun to interact with the other bar patrons and watch the comings and goings of the diners in the restaurant, as you can see into the area where people come in. I have no problem eating alone anywhere. The important thing is to find a place to sit, usually up against a wall or in an area that will give you a good view of the room, as people watching is the main thing you can do when you are by yourself and not distracted by the conversation of a companion:).
astraltravel

I also had a great experience having dinner at the bar at Raglan Road my last trip. I am going in nine days and wondering the same thing- maybe Tune In Lounge at 50's Prime Time ? Rose & Crown ?

My favorite park restaurant is the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios, and I've read they opened a "lounge" in recent years. Do you think that would be something that would fit what I'm looking for?

Thanks

I had dessert at the Brown Derby lounge last Saturday. It's all outdoors and there is no "bar"; it's just a bunch of separate tables. I didn't see anyone talking with someone outside the group they showed up with. So, I don't think it fits what you're looking for as a social, chatty place conducive to meeting new people.

In agreement with previous posters, I also would suggest Territory Lounge, Tune In Lounge, or the bar at POR during the Yehaa Bob show. There are probably also several other good options.

Paradiso 37 at DTD can be a really nice time. I haven't had the food there but the guys we interacted with were eating and seemed to enjoy it. The bar is half inside half outside and they have a really wonderful singing DJ who is very fun and sociable. Some nights it's really packed, but others not so much. I'd check before you get settled.

Try California grill top of contemporary. It pretty laid back, and all the people at tables will have ressie for the most part, but they allow walk ups to the bar. Maybe 10-15 seats at bar. If you plan right you can get in and watch fire works- as rest slows down/ stopps as people look over MK. They also have an outside balcony to watch from .

The bar in the Polynesian has great drinks. the apps are good. the dessert option is a bread pudding. People seemed to really like that dessert and the place is always busy with a mix of people waiting for tables and people just there to drink. It's a really good time but very busy. For apps the bread basket is a bargain and the pulled pork nachos are very good.

The Tune In Lounge in HS (part of 50s Prime Time) is really cool and they have a nice crowd of regulars. It does depend on who is behind the bar though. Julie is really good. A couple of the guys who were there are pretty lame to say the least. Full menu is available. The shakes are really good and you can always add alcohol to the shakes.

The bar at the wave. They have a great beer selection and you can order from their full menu. I went in the afternoon so not much going on. I'd guess it gets pretty busy at night.

You can always check out all the bars on the monorail and find one that looks interesting.

thanks everyone!

I'm back from my trip now, so I thought I'd update. I ended up going to Raglan Road. I was able to get one of my favorites, Magners cider, and a delicious dinner called "Kevin's Heavenly Ham." After that I was too full for dessert!:thumbsup2
When I first arrived, there was a great band playing, and then the dancers...so it was great to have something to look at so it didn't feel so awkward about sitting at the bar alone. After a while (and a couple ciders) I talked to a few of the other patrons, so that was great too. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter