Where to go for a run while on a WDW vacation?

Lehigh98

Earning My Ears
Looks like this is the best area here to ask this...

I'll be in WDW on vacation the first week of April and will be looking to get in about 3-4 runs from 5-12 miles each in the week that we're there. Rather than just running out the door and wandering around the surrounding neighborhoods I was hoping people may have some suggestions for good / scenic places to run in the area. I don't mind hopping in the rental car and driving a bit to a good spot either.

For an example, my favorite "vacation run" is up and down the strip in Las Vegas.

If it helps as far as location or my surroundings, we'll be staying on Dinville St in Kissimmee. Maybe close enough to do a lap around Animal Kingdom 2.5 miles to the North? (as long as there room around the fenceline and nothing eats me?)

TIA!

I don't know about off property - but on property there are plenty of opportunities to hit those distances between the Wilderness Lodge and around Fort Wilderness.

I'm not sure about places off property, but I know there's a good loop around the Epcot/Hollywood Studios resorts that I tend to do, but I also stay there. You can also go online to mapmyrun.com and make your own routes and there's a site (I've forgotten it now) that has a bunch of Disney runs mapped out already and organized depending on where you want to be. I'm sure you can google for that...

I enjoy running through Celebration, lots of paths that connect from the sidewalks and streets. Most go around lakes, some through some wooded areas. You can start at downtown and just start running down the paths and you can find more if you continue running, I've done 8 miles going out and back, still havent gone around all the trails.

You can run from DTD to Old Key West resort. Loop is about 5.5 - 6 miles

I enjoy running through Celebration, lots of paths that connect from the sidewalks and streets. Most go around lakes, some through some wooded areas. You can start at downtown and just start running down the paths and you can find more if you continue running, I've done 8 miles going out and back, still havent gone around all the trails.

Celebration? Pretend I haven't been to Disney in over 20 years... because I haven't. ;)

I usually just use Google Earth or Map my Run or some other satellite program to check out the surrounding area. Also ask Coach Charles on this board.

Honestly, Disney is not the coolest place to run. There is a lot of cement and parking lots! Not to say there are not some neat areas, like the Boardwalk over to Epcot and HS. But overall the running isn't that spectacular. I end up in a lot of parking lots :) Would much rather have a big park to run in.

I'm with you, one of my favorite runs is from Mandalay Bay to Downtown and back. Just love running the strip! Guess that's why I did the Vegas half marathon the last couple of years.

enjoy,
Duane

I usually just use Google Earth or Map my Run or some other satellite program to check out the surrounding area. Also ask Coach Charles on this board.

Honestly, Disney is not the coolest place to run. There is a lot of cement and parking lots! Not to say there are not some neat areas, like the Boardwalk over to Epcot and HS. But overall the running isn't that spectacular. I end up in a lot of parking lots :) Would much rather have a big park to run in.

I'm with you, one of my favorite runs is from Mandalay Bay to Downtown and back. Just love running the strip! Guess that's why I did the Vegas half marathon the last couple of years.

enjoy,
Duane

Thanks Duane! Next time you have to go past MB and under "The Sign" though, not a whole lot farther. Depending on how my 1/2 goes in May I might sign up for my first marathon in Vegas in December.

Celebration? Pretend I haven't been to Disney in over 20 years... because I haven't. ;)

Celebration is just south of Disney, it is down World Drive, you can get there from World Drive or get off at 192 and turn down Celebration Ave. It is not far off property at all.

I live in celebration and have to say, it is a great place to run. You can most certainly get your miles in around the town and enjoy some great scenery to boot.

You’ll have a car so here goes some tried and true recommendations. But first do not attempt to run up into WDW from your location. It’s a small two lane road that is a short cut and you may end up like many of the small carcasses you see in that area.

1) The Downtown Disney/Saratoga Springs/Old Key West loop is one where you can get in lots of miles with few, if any lapping. I will run this early in the morning if I am looking for a 7-12 mile run. You can easily increase mileage by looping in the resort or re looping DTD. Just beware of golf course maintenance traffic early in the morning. I usually run this from the Marriott Village but have driven to the DTD parking lot or from the Old Key West resort if staying there. You can get an added mile on this loop by looping into the Treehouse Villas
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/5375436

2) One of the more recommended loops is the Boardwalk Loop. You can loop the inner and outer resort loops with a trip down to the Hollywood studios in between. This is a 5.6 mile loop as shown. When not staying at the Boardwalk I will drive up to the boardwalk guard shack and tell them I would like to go for a run and ask to park behind their shack. It is the least desirable area so they are quick to say yes, usually. I did receive a little push back last fall – not sure if it were a new hire guard or a change in policy.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/24726074/

I have run over to Caribbean Beach resort using this and added a few miles, though I must warn that you will be in the roadway for a half mile or so from the fire station to the resort entrance.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/3672051/

3) I had a wild hair one trip and was looking for a long run with little or no repeat of scenery. I have run all segments of this loop (outside of race settings) and it flows well. I have not run this as a continuous run as a tropical rain event pre-empted my run that morning. The loop is simple and starts from the parking lot of the Hoopty Do Review and then makes a huge arc around the southern end of Seven Seas Lagoon. Note I have had to visit with security in the Grand Floridian area both times I have run that segment. No issue other than an unexpected runner at 4 am.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/1225784/

4) There are great rails to trails linear parks in the area, specifically the Van Fleet Trail. I had a friend tell me about this park and I have run it a few times. The Van Fleet Trail is long, straight and flat. I hit the Polk City Trail head and run from there. It’s a 30 minute drive from the area you are staying in. I have never felt unsafe on the trail.
http://orangecycleorlando.com/articles/bike-trails-maps-central-florida-ig30/

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dinvi...lz=1I7ADRA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

There are many more. I have never run Celebration as I tend to avoid residential areas and the resulting intersections. (Yes I know Celebration is a little different but I tend to gravitate to the WDW loops.)

Hope this helps some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter