• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to get post-Alaska cruise COVID test to return to the U.S.

bellarinah

Always a tone of surprise!
Hi, I have an Alaska cruise coming up in July. I’m actually sailing with Holland America, not DCL, this time around. But I think my question applies here. It’s a one-way cruise from Whittier in Alaska to Vancouver. After we disembark in Vancouver, we are flying home (back to the U.S.) in the afternoon. So we’ll need a negative test result within one day of the disembarkation day. Holland America does NOT provide this service so we are on our own. I’d like to ask all of you what you guys did or plan to do to get the test done and receive the result in time to fly the same afternoon of disembarkation day. My current plan is to bring an at-home test with me and have a video session with a proctor online on the second-to-last-day while on the cruise. But I’m a bit nervous about it. It’d be nice to hear confirmation or other ideas from other people too. Thank you so much!

My current plan is to bring an at-home test with me and have a video session with a proctor online on the second-to-last-day while on the cruise.
This is our current plan. I can let you know when we get back on the 14th.

Why are you nervous about the video session?
Just because I’ve never done it before. And I never sail with Holland America so I don’t know how good their internet connection will be. And I have a flight that is dependent on that test. And if it doesn’t go well, I won’t be able to get back to the U.S. Also, my trip doesn’t actually end in Vancouver. We are flying to LAX to continue on to Disneyland. The list goes on. Can you tell I’m nervous? Haha

This is our current plan. I can let you know when we get back on the 14th.
I would really appreciate it if you can tell me how everything goes for you. I know there shouldn’t be any need for me to worry but I am anyway. Hope everything goes smoothly for you! Enjoy the trip!

The eMed test results come immediately (within 30 seconds of finishing your video call), so there's no issue there. How much time do you have between debarkation and your flight? If the Internet on the ship isn't good enough to do the test while at sea you can just do it on your debarkation day, either in your stateroom while the ship is docked at port or on a bench somewhere after leaving the ship (assuming you have good enough internet on your cell phone). The home tests are super easy--La Lido Loca has a full video walkthrough of the process--but if you wanted to be even more confident about the process you could just buy an extra test and do one at home before leaving.

There are a few telehealth options and if you search the last few days of thread conversations you will find a lot of information.

Emed sells a 2 pack and a 6 pack. Click on Order Now. https://www.emed.com/
**They look similar to the BinaxNOW kits many have been using at home, but make sure you have the AG version to use with telehealth. Cost of the telehealth is included in the cost of the test.

You can use other home kits with https://onpoint-testing.com/
Just search the recent threads for more information.

If you purchase a pack make sure you submit to your insurance for reimbursement

When we debarked the Wonder in Vancouver on May 16th we tested at the Bonvoy Medical testing area which is located in the lobby of the Fairmont Hotel (which is right in the airport). It was quick and efficient. Our results were back within 45 min (they told us up to 3 hours). The Fairmont is literally 1 floor above the International check in areas for United and Air Canada and not far from other airlines.

Just an elevator or escalator ride away.

MJ

When we debarked the Wonder in Vancouver on May 16th we tested at the Bonvoy Medical testing area which is located in the lobby of the Fairmont Hotel (which is right in the airport). It was quick and efficient. Our results were back within 45 min (they told us up to 3 hours). The Fairmont is literally 1 floor above the International check in areas for United and Air Canada and not far from other airlines.

MJ
Second this recommendation! Bon Voyage provided an in and out service with very friendly people.

MJ
do you have to make appointment?

Hi, I have an Alaska cruise coming up in July. I’m actually sailing with Holland America, not DCL, this time around. But I think my question applies here. It’s a one-way cruise from Whittier in Alaska to Vancouver. After we disembark in Vancouver, we are flying home (back to the U.S.) in the afternoon. So we’ll need a negative test result within one day of the disembarkation day. Holland America does NOT provide this service so we are on our own. I’d like to ask all of you what you guys did or plan to do to get the test done and receive the result in time to fly the same afternoon of disembarkation day. My current plan is to bring an at-home test with me and have a video session with a proctor online on the second-to-last-day while on the cruise. But I’m a bit nervous about it. It’d be nice to hear confirmation or other ideas from other people too. Thank you so much!
We did that with the eMed brand tests and it was super easy and they emailed the result almost instantly. Was about 20 mins start to finish and did not need to make an appointment in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter