where to get boxes for Ebay??

tbserena

Mouseketeer
This is a strange question-
Does anyone have any secret places they get boxes to ship in when they sell on Ebay? I'm not shipping Priority, just Parcel Post.
I guess I'm cheap....I just don't want to buy them from Staples or Office Depot! I have just started and have over 60 things listed...I should've gotten the boxes before I started,but when I started listed I just kept going!!!
Can anyone pass along any good places to get a variety of sizes of boxes, hopefully free?

THANKS!!!

I use grocery stores and Big Lots!

They know me by now, every Monday morning I run straight to the Kroger dairy dept and get LOTS of good boxes the sizes I need. Big Lots also does a lot of unpacking early in the day and have the sizes I need.

I ship a lot of smaller items and they have good secure boxes I can use. The stock guys sometimes save some for me.

You're not cheap, in a year I've only bought ONE box and I was ticked off about THAT!

I have used a company called "ULINE". Their web site is http://www.uline.com/ They sell all sorts of shipping supplies. A lot of their items can be shipped via UPS. I think they said they have over 600 sizes and styles of boxes. Note however that most have to be bought in quantities of 25 or more.

Before I started getting the free Priority boxes from the post office, I shipped most small items in boxes I got at work. I'm a doctor and practically every day we have stuff delivered - drug samples, vaccines, etc - in small sturdy boxes. My advice - ask your doctors to save boxes for you.

Just curious, though. Its been my experience that Parcel Post and Priority are very similar in cost, sometimes the same. Why not just ship Priority and take advantage of all the free supplies from the post office - boxes, tape, labels.

Steve

I like to be able to offer First Class and Parcel Post and Media when applicable along with Priority so...my husband scrounges boxes at work and our neighbor brings boxes and bubble wrap from his work. Ask relatives and friends. You would be surprised how many people can get you boxes.

Boy I feel really stupid now! ARE parcel post and Priority that close in cost??? I've only shipped one box so far, and it was 2 Jansport backpacks in a Priority Box to Nebraska. It was $8.05, and I thought that was high. I just assumed it was because it was Priority. I figured they somehow charged you for the box. Good question, though....how much difference IS Parcel Post than Priority??
I had to laugh when I saw that you were a doctor...my mother lives 2 and a half hours from me and works for a Urologist. She's saving several trash bags full of small boxes that I will get later in the month....as long as people don't mind getting boxes that say "catheters" and "urinals"!!!! Hey, it works for me!

I went for a box run this morning at Target. I got a HUGE (entire cart size) box .. perfect since we are selling computer systems. Inside this huge box were other boxes with packing material.

I was at a music store yesterday, and they had boxes as well. They also had tons of packing material.

I had to laugh at the urinals and catheters boxes. I work in an ob/gyn office - I will use all of the boxes EXCEPT the sterile ******l speculum boxes! I've even used KY jelly boxes, but I turned it inside out. I agree with Disneysteve though - dr offices are a great place - I work per diem and love to work on Thursday because that's when we get our supplies. Also the lab down the hall has great boxes that they have started telling me about when they see me in the hallway - they get great packing materials too, bubble wrap, air pillows, peanuts. I have the back of my Durango full of boxes right now!
Kim

tbserena - Go to http://postcalc.usps.gov/ to do postage calculations. You can compare costs of different options. I believe that the price difference between Parcel Post and Priority gets larger as the package weight increases. Most of my items are under 2 pounds, so there isn't much savings by using Parcel Post. If, however, you are shipping larger items, the price gap grows and Parcel can be a significant savings.

Steve

I am a box saver and have been shipping priority a lot, so I haven't had to get any yet, but when I was moving, I found drive-thru beverage stores to be great for smaller boxes. Liquor boxes are very sturdy. They normally had the little cardboard dividers for the bottles too which could be used for filler. I would think liquor stores would be a good resource too.

Simplified Chart Page USPS

This page is always in my favorites list. It's easy for me to click on the different types and compare apples to apples as long as I know my package weight.

Box source - banks!
We order from Quill at least once a week and they have really heavy duty boxes they ship in. We also receive statement stock, envelopes etc in boxes. See if you can make a friend there and have them toss the boxes in the basement till you can pick up.

Box source - bars?
I would expect that the liquour supply would also come in a fairly heavy duty box. Haven't tried it but it would make sense!

Packing supply source - WM!
I use a lot of the WM recycle bags as stuff in packages. It crinkles up so nicely and fills up the package well. I have had several compliments on my packaging and it is from left over WM bags! Normally in their entryway they have a 'recycle' box to put in bags (Kohls used to but just stopped at my closest). I have just asked the CS person and they said to help myself anytime I wanted some from there. So I just grab a couple of 'bags of bags' and off I go.

eBay id - jgates - This week & next? Children's Place girls clothes! Bone China Easter Eggs!

I work for an eye doctor so anyone I would send to would be thinking their contacts were coming! Have you tried Party Stores or mall stores like Claires?

LOL over the OB/ GYN boxes!

Knowing my DH, he would be afraid to open it!

I also found some boxes at Produce Junction. I didn't grab them (in the small car), but they did have them there all stacked up on the side of the store.

We have also been taking smaller boxes and chopping them up for filler or for stabilization.

My favorite place though is Target!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter