• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to find long shorts for Juniors?

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
Our schools have changed the dress code and now all shorts must be no less than 3 inches above the knee (size of a standard post it note). It used to be past fingertip length and that was hard enough to find but now it is nearly impossible!

I really don't want to spend a ton of money (hoping to keep it between $10-$20 a pair). Any ideas where to look online for basically bermuda shorts for juniors? DD13 loves a particular type from Old Navy but they are currently sold out. :badpc: DD13 prefers denim and DD17 isn't as picky as long as they aren't "mom shorts"!

I was just about to suggest Old Navy - I just ordered some a few days ago that would fit the bill for your description - but I see that won't work.

Land's End, the Gap and Aeropostale all have shorts that, I think, would suit. Aeropostale's are in the uniform section, but are pretty cute.

Check out target online. I just looked and they have a few Bermuda shorts in juniors. I'd link on here but don't know how on my kindle.

Our schools have changed the dress code and now all shorts must be no more than 3 inches above the knee (size of a standard post it note). It used to be past fingertip length and that was hard enough to find but now it is nearly impossible!

I really don't want to spend a ton of money (hoping to keep it between $10-$20 a pair). Any ideas where to look online for basically bermuda shorts for juniors? DD13 loves a particular type from Old Navy but they are currently sold out. :badpc: DD13 prefers denim and DD17 isn't as picky as long as they aren't "mom shorts"!

My DD17 views this length as Mom shorts and given these rules chooses to skip the shorts altogether. Her school allows fingertip and even that is difficult to find something that isn't momish in her opinion. She broke the rule frequently last year once she knew that all of her teachers weren't going to enforce. When not flagrantly disregarding the rule, she sticks with jeans or crops. Capris are also momish to her and she won't wear them. We live in Texas so the start of school is hot but she just bought her first day outfit and it's jeans.

I recently graduated high school and had the same rule about shorts being more than 3 inches above the knee. I found that as long as the shorts aren't too short, then I was ok. Teachers would only enforce the rule if a person's shorts really were inappropriately short. I guess it depends on the school though. I just don't want you to worry about your daughters getting in trouble.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think the bermudas from Delia's are nice. They are a little more expensive than you want, but I can attest that they are high quality and will last a long time. Here is a link:

http://store.delias.com/category/cl...o?nType=2&incmpid=LNavapparel.shorts.bermudas

our school went to this dress code last year. We found out at open house, less than 5 days before school started. My jr. Sized daughter with long legs is very hard to fit. We found 2 pairs of shorts to make it till spring. In the spring it was the same'problem everything is to short for her. There is no way I have found a summer skirt to fit dress code. I found some basic black and gray shorts at family dollar for $6 a pair. She wore those without complaints of the style knowing it was those or blue jeans.

Gah, I hate this stuff. JCP has some on their web site that are under $20.

I went thru this and still do since I'm tall. I tend to do best with Land's End, JCP, Kohl's, and ll.Bean.

Wow, I had a hard enough time finding fingertip length. We'd be in trouble with an even longer length. It's like the people making the rules have never shopped in a junior department. And since my daughter hates bermudas, I feel like she needs one set of clothes for school, and another set for after school.

The worst part for us was that last year we went and bought an entire new set of longer shorts, only to find out they really weren't enforcing the policy. This year I bought 2 new pair (since last year's don't fit) and she'll just get by until she sees how the enforcement goes. I did tell her it's up to her to find a way to follow the rules so she doesn't have to call me to bring her new clothes. I think she's going to keep an extra pair in her locker in case there's an issue.

I don't mind supporting following the rule to a T if they are going to make everyone else. But they sure didn't do that last year.

This year we found a couple pair at American Eagle that had the hem rolled up a bit. If she has trouble she can roll those down all the way.

My DD, who is a size 4 at Target, bought their bermuda denim shorts to wear to work. She works at a dog kennel and they can wear shorts but they have to be modest. She hates them but they are actually super cute on her.

We had this rule when I was in school and I hated it. It seems to really punish the girls with long legs and/or who are taller. It's one thing to find shorts 2"-3" above the knee when you're average height, but almost impossible when you're taller!

Several middle schools around here have inseam rules, like all shorts should have a 5" inseam. That seems more fair because it's something anyone can buy, though some of my teacher friends have a hard time enforcing it because who wants to drag out a ruler to measure an inseam? :faint:

I know for sure that they will be enforcing the dress code-- I work at the school. DD is often in the office with me so she can't get away with anything.

Looks like we will be heading to Target and Aeropostale tomorrow. I was hoping to order online but she will need to try on. I have already looked locally several places this summer but hopefully I will get lucky.

By the way, I vented about long shorts in my earlier response, but forgot to mention that I was in Eddie Bauer yesterday and they had several styles of longer (close to knee length) shorts on clearance for $15-$20.

Jcrew has longer shorts in their sale section. 29.99 with 40% off. They are final sale though. They have the same sale in the stores so you could see if they fit.

Our schools have had this rule for many, many years.

Personally, I don't like short, shorts. I bought a bunch of longer shorts at JCPennys. They had lots of different styles when I got mine earlier this year - they are probably on clearance at this point.

No matter what, you have to hurry. Once they are gone, that is it. We went to the AE Outlet and got 5 pairs of shorts and 3 shirts for 143. plus no tax. :cheer2:

Only 1 was bermuda and they were 33.71. Of course THOSE shorts were the most expensive.:rolleyes:

Thank God we have uniforms where I live! Baby girl still fits in her shirts from last year and I bought her 5 new skirts for this year. She will not wear shorts (she's cool with them being attached to her skirts, though). Got em on sale at Justice for 20% off plus an additional 40% off. Heck yea!!! Girlfriend is ready for school on Friday and so am I! Momma needs to deep clean this house!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter