Where to eat with a child who isn't interested in characters

Kindermouse

DIS Veteran
I have a while yet before my ADR window opens but since I have never been to WDW I feel pretty in over my head. I have no idea where to eat and I want to start a list of my best options so I know where to start in terms of doing more research to find what really will work best for us. There are just SO many restaurants!

I will be visiting with my son who will be 14 when we go and it will be just the 2 of us. He has no interest in character meals (though I know we will be doing a dinner at Be our Guest solely for me since it is my favorite Disney Movie and I just can't resist even though I hear the food is not great). We have 7 table services meals to book and we will plan to use our park hoppers and do each park at least twice. I also wouldn't mind doing a resort restaurant and I plan to set aside money in the budget to use Uber so that I don't have to book things solely based on the convenience of Disney transportation.

My child doesn't have a very sophisticated or exotic pallet (imagine what the average 6 year old is happy to eat and that's pretty much right on except the quantity) So a good restaurant for us would need to have an option or 2 on the adult menu that are akin to what a kid would be happy with.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

First off, most Disney restaurants are very accommodating, so if there isn't anything on the adult menu, they will probably make an adult portion of something on the kids menu, if you ask nicely.

MK: Liberty Tavern for LUNCH is awesome and it's kind of cool with the American history theme
HS: Sci-Fi would be my boys' choice, but 50's Prime Time can be fun
AK: Not a lot of kid friendly here. You may have to bend the rules and do Tusker House even though it has characters
EP: Coral Reef, Biergarten, Teppan Edo
Resorts: Ohana for dinner is soooo good and he can fill up on all the meat! Whispering Canyon Cafe is a little out of the way, but good food.

I have a 15 DS. His favorite TS meals are 50's Prime Time, Syfy Dine, Teppan Edo, Yak Yeti, and Kona Cafe. Not sure if that helps you or not. Lol! Good Luck!

I have a while yet before my ADR window opens but since I have never been to WDW I feel pretty in over my head. I have no idea where to eat and I want to start a list of my best options so I know where to start in terms of doing more research to find what really will work best for us. There are just SO many restaurants!

I will be visiting with my son who will be 14 when we go and it will be just the 2 of us. He has no interest in character meals (though I know we will be doing a dinner at Be our Guest solely for me since it is my favorite Disney Movie and I just can't resist even though I hear the food is not great). We have 7 table services meals to book and we will plan to use our park hoppers and do each park at least twice. I also wouldn't mind doing a resort restaurant and I plan to set aside money in the budget to use Uber so that I don't have to book things solely based on the convenience of Disney transportation.

My child doesn't have a very sophisticated or exotic pallet (imagine what the average 6 year old is happy to eat and that's pretty much right on except the quantity) So a good restaurant for us would need to have an option or 2 on the adult menu that are akin to what a kid would be happy with.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I would suggest
50's Primetime Cafe - Hollywood Studios
Hoop Dee Do Review - Fort Wilderness (2credits)
Sci Fi Dine In Theater - Hollywood Studios
Liberty Tree Tavern - Magic Kingdom

If your son might consider a slightly more adventurous meal -
Teppan Edo - EPCOT
'Ohana - Polynesian Resort

My teen boys love whispering canyon cafe, Sci Fi, Via Napoli, Boma and beaches and cream. They liked captain's grille, too, and they're looking forward to trying Trail's End.

I'd suggest most of the DHS restaurants: Mama Melrose, Sci Fi, and 50s PT.

There's also great places in DSp: Raglan, HoB, Bongos, TRex, or Splitsville.

14, yes I would be skipping character meals. They are overpriced due to the characters so not a good value for you.

Lots of good suggestions above but some are not going to be great use of a DDP credit, like Sci Fi. If you have the budget to pay OOP for a few like that, then you can really make a value from the credits like the HDDR (2 credits).

OOP but look and see if you can get Dining with Imagineer at Studios. I think you would both love it, good food and lunch with an Imagineer. My DS books it every chance he gets.

I'd look over the menu at Sanaa as well. It's a bit more exotic but at lunch you get animals, potentially.

First off, most Disney restaurants are very accommodating, so if there isn't anything on the adult menu, they will probably make an adult portion of something on the kids menu, if you ask nicely.

MK: Liberty Tavern for LUNCH is awesome and it's kind of cool with the American history theme
HS: Sci-Fi would be my boys' choice, but 50's Prime Time can be fun
AK: Not a lot of kid friendly here. You may have to bend the rules and do Tusker House even though it has characters
EP: Coral Reef, Biergarten, Teppan Edo
Resorts: Ohana for dinner is soooo good and he can fill up on all the meat! Whispering Canyon Cafe is a little out of the way, but good food.

I see that you specified lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. Is their food better at lunch or is it just more fun of a place to eat around lunch time?

I see that you specified lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. Is their food better at lunch or is it just more fun of a place to eat around lunch time?

Lunch is a la carte, dinner is a buffet with Thanksgiving type food. We prefer lunch mainly because the desserts are better and your food is prepared the way you want it, but I will say dinner is probably a better monetary value on the DDP.

My teen boy loves SciFi...so fun, and we personally think its a decent value on the DP because they allow the shake as part of your beverage and/or dessert! They have the best oreo shakes here!!! His faves are also Via Napoli, and Teppan Edo, and believe it or not TRex in Disney Springs! The first three are his top 3 for sure though.

DHS - Sci-Fi is very cool and 50's Prime Time is delicious! You could do a dinner any either of these, then get a fast pass for Fantasmic.
MK - The Plaza
Epcot - Anywhere, but if he is a simple meal guy, you should go out the back way (International Gateway next to France) and take the boat over to the Beach Club for Beaches and Cream. The ride is about 15 minutes tops and it gets you off your feet for a little bit! Plus the scenery is nice and who doesnt like a boat ride!!
AK - Id do quick service with a teen boy or Yak & Yeti

At resorts -
Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge for Dinner
Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge for Breakfast
Captains Grille at Yacht Club for dinner
Trails End buffet at Ft Wilderness (nice boat ride from the Magic Kingdom)

Coral Reef and Teppan Edo. Teppan if he'd eat the menu. You can get white rice if that's a concern.

TRex and Rainforest Cafe as well if he'd be into the loud fake animals scene.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter