Where to eat at Hilton Head???

GATORBOY

Earning My Ears
:thewave:

Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone had any hints on the better places to eat on Hilton Head. Or maybe places to avoid. Would appreciate any advice! Thanks!
We are going up in Mid-March.

We had bad bad bad service at Kingfishers, right across the bridge on the left. But we did enjoy the place on the right, though I cant remember the name. We also had a crummy time at Fudruckers, but the moral of that story is to bring a sweater in July because some places blast the AC mugh too high.....

What type restaraunt are you looking for? Fast food, casual or dining????? If you are interested in dining I would suggest RED Fish and Alexanders. For local seafood Hudsons and old Oyster Factory. There are several restaraunts at Shelter Cove Marina at The HHI DVC. I think the above post is referring to Scott's Fishmarket which I feel is good.Also have Italian, Mexican, and Deli there.

We have eaten at Kingfisher's twice and had good food and service both times. They offer a 10% discount to those staying at Disney's resort. I have seen reports to the contrary, so it does seem to be hit & miss. Scott's Fish Market (also a 10% discount) is right over the bridge to the right. We have eaten there twice and it was good also.

Other places we have enjoyed:

Old Oyster Factory
Salty Dog

Places we won't eat again:

Boathouse II (food wasn't great and it was overpriced)
Harbourmaster (food was good, but too stuffy)

There are also many chain restaurants on the island such as Long Horn, Fuddruckers, Cracker Barrel, etc.

We really enjoyed the Old Oyster Factory. We've been there on both trips to HHI. There is also a pretty good German Restaurant if you like that type of food. We liked Guiseppe's Pizza, although I've hear others who didn't care for it. We had lunch one day at the Atlanta Bread Company and enjoyed the soups/salads/sandwiches they had there. We ate at RedFish too and had a nice meal there as well. There are so many places to eat on the Island that are great. When you check in you can get a restaurant guide that shows menus and prices. We found that guide very handy. Good Luck!

If you like southwestern cuisine - as I sometimes get tired of the lowcountry seafood theme - Santa Fe Cafe is terrific. Also - there's a great place called Charlie's (and then a French name...can't remember but you'd find it in any restaurant list - or on fodor's)

KLR-wlv said:
If you like southwestern cuisine - as I sometimes get tired of the lowcountry seafood theme - Santa Fe Cafe is terrific. Also - there's a great place called Charlie's (and then a French name...can't remember but you'd find it in any restaurant list - or on fodor's)

I think it's something like "Charlie's E'toile Verte". We have never been there, but it is DEFINITELY on our list of places to try. They do not list in the restaurant guide -- apparently no need to! They used to be almost directly across 278 from the Disney resort, but now they've moved into the space where Charleston's used to be -- larger, I guess.

The restaurant that is now where Charlie's used to be (can't remember the name, but maybe something like Seagrass Grill??) looks pretty good, too.

Gosh, this is making me VERY homesick for HH. Good thing we're making one of Chef Gordon's recipes for dinner tonight!!

:cloud9:

I agree, Mellow Mushroom is yummy, order the giant calzones.

Truffles in Sea Pines is a regular must-do for me. Lunch or dinner, you can't go wrong. Recommend: the Bibb salad with blue cheese and pecans (a meal in itself). Also the chicken pot pie and meat loaf (don't laugh, it's fantastic). Grilled portabello sandwich. Their specialty dessert!!!

Captain's Seafood---for fish, of course.

Check out the Early Bird specials in the restaurant guide. Totally worthwhile---save money and sample some nice restaurants. Cafe Europa is on the top of that list for us as well.

Of course, this is just one foodie's opinion....

My favorites....Santa Fe Cafe, which is almost directly across Road from DVC. Very Yummy southwest fare!

Stripes, An American Grill...This place by far is in my top 3 best restaurants I've ever been anywhere. It's beyond fabulous everytime! I rarely see it mentioned here (other than by me) and I have no idea why. Chef Gordon turned us onto this place a couple years ago and it's a "don't miss" for us. It's a chef/owner and he is a graduate of CIA (top in his class) It's small maybe 20 tables but the food is amazing. Exceptional wine list (when you go in you know the wine list will be great you practically trip over wine boxes as you enter.) The staff has been there awhile and really are great. It's off the circle just before Sea Pines over to the left. I can not say enough good things about this place and I've sent alot of friends there and they always agree that it's GREAT! Dress is nice casual (although I've seen shorts/tees to cocktail dress) I usually go in capri and a nice top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter