where to buy snorkle equipment?

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
I finally looked at Sam's for snorkel equipment--the junior set was $28 and the adult set was $48! Since we will only be snorkeling on the trip I decided renting was better--but is there anywhere to get a less expensive set?
BTW, I did get 7 rolls of APS film for $17!
Robin M.

I gave my son the set from sam's for his b-day. It is an awesome set!!! Have you checked e-bay?? Or have you thought of buying it then selling it on ebay to make back some of the $$$.

When I was at sports authority they had a bunch of set on sale, but even with the sale price the sam's set was cheaper. My sam's charged 24 for kids and 28 for adults though.

If you have a BJ's in your area, you may try there. I found snorkel sets that included a storage bag, mask ,snorkel and fins. I don't recall the children's prices, but the adult sets were $30.00. The fins came in 3 different sizes.
Kerri

I ordered 2 sets from snorkelcity.com that did not fit my DH or myself. I spent $30 in shipping and then another $36 to return it PLUS they charged me 20% of the sales price for returning the equipment :( Everyone kept telling me I needed to try on the mask for a seal etc. I contacted my local sports stores but know one had anything less than $100 per set. I almost ordered again from snorkelcity.com and then almost JorDiver.com until I went to my local Sam's.

I purchased the Jr set for myself you mentioned for $28. The mask is triview, silicone seal, purge vlave with the automatic stopper for diving under water (splash top) and nice split fins with a nice bag and purchased my DH the adult set for $48. I tell you what for what I received from snorkelcity and the cost and what I purchased from Sams, Sams won hands down :p

I would give the Sam's set a try. It pays for itself in 2 snorkel trips plus is clean and yours. I thought their set was really nice compared to all of my research :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We just bought ours from sams club last night. Got 3 adult sets @ $48 each.
And like someone else said, after two times they pay for themselves, and are clean.

You can find the body glove jr and adult snorkel sets at costco, just saw them today 25-35 dollars. :Pinkbounc

WOW thats a better price then we paid at sams club. same brand we got too. Adult sets were $48 & Jr sets were $28.
Do the ones at costco have the purge valves for diving?

Some time ago there was a reply to a snorkle question, that said if you buy your own mask, you should clean or treat the glass with something before you use it. I can't find the thread and I don't remember what I was to use on my mask. They said the masks are coated with something in stores and if you don't treat it, they will fog when you use them. Does this ring a bell with anyone out there? Help please, what should I treat my new mask with?

I actually started that thread when I was shopping for my equipment and someone else explained how to do it for prescription masks. I bet if you posted how to do it under a new thread that person would respond bc I could not find the thread either, it was over a month ago. Luckily, for now I had Lasik and can see everything ;)

use toothpaste or soft scrub to scrub out the film that is in there when you buy it. Those 2 have very mild abrasives in them and they wont scratch the lens!
Hope that helps!
Heidi

Is it really necessary to buy snorkel equipment? Anyone know if they really clean the rentals after each use? Just wondering as we don't want to pack snorkel stuff for the one excursion that requires it...we're doing the Stingray City. Just wondering how clean the rentals are??

the one that finished us off was when they took the snorkel equipment from those who just finished and put it in a bucket of cold sea water, then rinsed it in cold fresh water and gave them back out without ANY sanitation to them! It was SO gross to watch people shrug and then use the snorkel and hope they didnt get sick! We had seen it on previous cruises but thought it was an isolated incident until we went on the last cruise and went to Cozumel and Grand Cayman along with Jamaica. All of those independent contractors did the same thing where they rinsed in sea water and then cold water and handed them back out! I always carry hand sanitizer with me wherever we go so I used that and then rinsed it off in clear (hopefully clean but one never knows) water and then set out. Watching it happen in those ports during one cruise convinced us to take our snorkel and mask no matter what! Now with Sars and everything else out there you couldnt pay me to use a "used" snorkel no matter how clean they claim they are!!!

Just my opinion
Heidi

thanks Heidi.....thought that may be the case but don't want to seem too neurotic about it. Maybe will will bring our own snorkel stuff afterall!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter