Where to buy inexpensive fish extenders?

I made our FE for our last cruise. It took half a day to sew. Rather than use embroidery to personalise it, I sewed a clear plastic pocket on the front of each pouch and then printed out our names on paper using some of the Disney templates on the DIS boards plus our cruise details and slipped these into the pockets. It has the advantage that it can also be used again for a different cruise, or for different people.

I would look for a plain, narrow shoe holder or something similar at IKEA,Target or the dollar store. If it is too long, it can be cut off and stiched or glued. From there, you could add appliques and letters, ribbons or bows. The craft store or the scrapbooking stores should have Disney stuff. :artist:

How do you become a fish extender member?
I mean how and when do you swap gifts? Every night, or one night, and how many people do you have to gift?

I mean how and when do you swap gifts? Every night, or one night, and how many people do you have to gift?

I recommend you do a search for this topic. There are many threads with lots of great information!!

You join an FE group via the Disney Cruise Meets discussion board. Find a thread on your cruise and join it to see if someone is organizing one for your trip.:grouphug:

Once you book your cruise, go to the Meet Thread section of the board to find the thread for your cruise. Chances are someone has already started the list of people to participate in the FE.

There really aren't any rules. You can give one gift per family/room, or something different for kids and adults. You drop off the gifts whenever you want (just once per cruise, not every day). You are then surprised with gifts when you come back to your room as well.

It's a lot of fun, I love it when people give items that are "native" to the state/country where they are from.

As PP mentioned, there are many threads about the FE, including ideas for the crafty and not-so-crafty gift giver. Enjoy!

In the FAQ stickied thread at the top of the boards you'll find info about FE's as well as tons of other info.

In the FAQ stickied thread at the top of the boards you'll find info about FE's as well as tons of other info.

Can you link it Jill? I tried to find it but am dashing out the door and hoped someone would just link it up!

I made our FE for our last cruise. It took half a day to sew. Rather than use embroidery to personalise it, I sewed a clear plastic pocket on the front of each pouch and then printed out our names on paper using some of the Disney templates on the DIS boards plus our cruise details and slipped these into the pockets. It has the advantage that it can also be used again for a different cruise, or for different people.

I will try to get my friend to embroider ours, but I like this idea. What type of plastic did you use?

I wish people who have shared all these creative ideas here would post pictures. They sound intriguing and cute!

I used iron on letters... Worked great. I just learned to sew so for sure I wasnt embroidering

Once you book your cruise, go to the Meet Thread section of the board to find the thread for your cruise. Chances are someone has already started the list of people to participate in the FE.

There really aren't any rules. You can give one gift per family/room, or something different for kids and adults. You drop off the gifts whenever you want (just once per cruise, not every day). You are then surprised with gifts when you come back to your room as well.

It's a lot of fun, I love it when people give items that are "native" to the state/country where they are from.

As PP mentioned, there are many threads about the FE, including ideas for the crafty and not-so-crafty gift giver. Enjoy!

Thank you DLW8 for explaining it!
I think I will "test" the waters before committing to spending too much!
10-20 cabins would be ok, 40-50 would bee too expensive! :rotfl2:

I made ours!! This was a first for me but it was a learn as I went kinda thing. Supply's cost me around $40 (i put a lot of extra fun stuff on)but I love it! Only thing I would change is the color of the iron on name to white not black to stand out a bit more.

488295_449641431723961_1088084127_n.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I think I might try to rig up our own homemade FE using some kind of reusable bag or Christmas stocking. We'll see!

I really like the idea of using Christmas stockings as our FE's (especially since our cruise is in Dec).... Has anyone done this? If so, how did you hang them? I'm wondering if we could use the 3M hooks that attach/detach easily? Any advice/tips/tricks are much appreciated :)

I got one on Ebay a few years ago for a great price and it is really nice. Ours has Mickey Mouse on it and is green and yellow.

I found a 3 pocket one at IKEA and iron on Disney patches at Hobby Lobby and Joann (for my mom's door) Cost about $15 total - verus the $45 for my original from etsy.

I really like the idea of using Christmas stockings as our FE's (especially since our cruise is in Dec).... Has anyone done this? If so, how did you hang them? I'm wondering if we could use the 3M hooks that attach/detach easily? Any advice/tips/tricks are much appreciated :)

You hang your FE from the fish by your door. No need for hooks. If the stockings needed bigger loops to hang from the fish, then you could probably just tie some extra ribbon on them.

What would you say is the average price that you would pay per gift? What is the most you would pay?:confused3 Any feedback is very welcome!

Can anyone post a pic of their IKEA FE? I think I saw one on the website that looks like it would work, but would love to see what others have used if you are willing to share. I haven't committed yet to our FE, but am thinking about it and would like to keep things simple.

TIA!
Michele

Since you sew, make your own. You can cut felt out into shapes and glue them or sew them on or find someone locally who embroiders and have them add what you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter