Where should we stay?

peytonsmama

Mouseketeer
We just got home and planning trip #2. We stayed at AKL this time... Loved it but want something different next time.

We really want to stay with a queen bed. Hubby wants to be on the monorail...is it worth the money to stay on the monorail? We visited GF and it doesn't seem to be our "style". I am leaning to the Poly but also thinking CR.

Then I wonder...should we consider other deluxe resorts?

Considering BC/YC but not sure if my son would like the sand bottom pool or not? The price difference from YC/BC doesn't seem like a huge savings from the Poly or CR...

My family loves to swim and the beach...we missed not having a beach at AKL and didn't enjoy only being able to take a bus and being so far out at AKL...we did love the pool there and also at Kidani...

Suggestions anyone?

YC/BC is one of my favorite resorts but given that your kids love the beach and your Dh wants to be on the monorail, I think Poly would be a good choice :)

The deluxe resorts are great if you have the budget for them. Take a look at the pics of the pool areas at CR and the Poly if the GF is not your style. The Beach/Yacht Club pool area is almost a mini-waterpark in itself. :goodvibes If you decide to stay at the BC/YC, not only will you be able to use that pool area, but you will be a relatively short bus trip away from Typhoon Lagoon. Just a thought if you really love the water....

http://allears.net/acc/g_poly.htm
http://allears.net/acc/g_contm.htm
http://allears.net/acc/g_sab.htm

Also, think about where you will be heading park-wise most of the time. The monorail resorts are obviously very convenient to the MK and EC (with a transfer), but a bus is required for the other parks. YC/BC is convenient to 2 parks - EC and DHS - offering both bus and water transport as well as the ability to walk to both if you wish. And there are scads of restaurant choices at this "complex" of resorts. You can't go wrong with any of these choices; it is just coming to a decision as to which is more convenient for you.

The Poly would be my choice :goodvibes. The rooms are large, the beach is a great place to sit and watch the fireworks, being able to see the castle while swimming as well as from just about anywhere on Poly grounds is awesome, and the tropical atmosphere is very relaxing :cloud9:. Our stay at the Poly was everything we dreamed it would be and then some :wizard:. Good luck with your decision and happy planning :).

My family loves to swim and the beach...we missed not having a beach at AKL and didn't enjoy only being able to take a bus and being so far out at AKL...we did love the pool there and also at Kidani...

You do know that you aren't allowed to swim at the beach, right? Just checking.

If you want to stay on the Resort Monorail line and money is a factor, then you should go with the Contemporary and this is why. All their room categories are the least expensive when you compare them to the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. Plus it's always a great atmosphere happening on the Grand Canynon Course 4th floor with all the stores and restaurants, you would be staying right next door to the Magic Kingdom and they are the only WDW Resort with a walkway that goes there.

If choosing a monorail resort, we definitely prefer the Poly over the Contemporary all around. We've never stayed at the BC/YC, but if we had a choice of the two after visiting, we'd pick the BC.

Yes, I do know you can't swim at the beach...hubby and DS enjoy playing in the sand. They are HUGE pool people. Enjoy the water slides/splash areas too. We spend 3 days at MK, 1 at EC, 2 at DHS and 2 at AK on our last visit. We did the 2nd at AK because we were leaving at 2:00 to fly home and knew the bus ride would be the shortest since we were staying at AKL.

I am leaning towards the Poly...but considering the CR...then I thought YC/BC...decisions, decisions!!!

Beach Club is my fave - but then Epcot is our fave park, with DHS a close 2nd. We love the pool and proximity to our fave parks.
We're not partial to the decor of any of the monorail resorts, but do love the monorail. ;)

I would suggest the YC/BC. Not only is there the sandy beach area around the lake, but the AMAZING pool area is like being at the beach, too- the shallow half of the pool has a sandy zero entry area surrounded by great sand for building castles; there are beautiful palm trees, a nautical theme everywhere, and chairside service for drinkks and food. It was the most relaxing pool/beach day my family has ever had- and you can keep up the feel by taking a relaxing boat ride to Epcot or MGM for the evening by going out to the lighthouse dock!

If you want to save some money but still get the beachy feel at a deluxe resort, you can often get some amazing deals at the Swan and Dolphin- sand and palm trees all around a fabulous pool with waterfall and slide, chairside service, plus hammocks, and the same boat ride to MGM and Epcot. There are views of Tower of Terror or Epcot from many rooms, which keep up that Disney feel for us- often at half the price of Disney deluxes! And it's a short walk to the Boardwalk, YC/BC, and Back entrance of Epcot.

Good luck choosing!

If your going to spend the most park time at MK, pick the CR. It has the best access and is the least expensive monorail resort. Getting to the MK from the Beach Club is a LONG experience. Other than that, the Beach Club is great.

We just returned from a week's stay at the Contemporary and absolutely loved it. Stayed at the Poly last year and loved that too, but I thought the rooms were nicer at the Contemporary and it was soooo convenient to be able to walk to the MK - no waiting in lines for the monorail to get back after fireworks! I like the Poly's landscaping better, but I'd still pick the CR again. I also liked the CR's quick service dining better than the Poly, but I think I just got burnt out on Poly-style flavorings last time. Wherever you choose, hope you enjoy your trip!

You've received some great responses, but I'll add in my 2¢ worth here.:)

It sounds like you really want convenience, a great pool, and a beachy area.

Since you don't feel like the GF would be a fit for you, how about the Poly? It has a wonderful, relaxed, beachy/tropical theme, plus it's on the monorail.:cloud9: A plus is that when you're at the beach and the pool area, you can see the MK castle & the fireworks!

Another great option is the BC/YC. The pool is fantastic there -- it's not all sandy-bottomed, just part of it is and that part is great for beach/water play (especially since you can't go in the lake water at the Poly or the BC). It's really amazing, and the location close to Epcot and DHS is really convenient as well.

These 2 have very different themes, but both will give you a beachy-type vacation. Both resorts are pretty, just in very different ways. The theming differences also carry over into the resort restaurants -- the Poly has very different food choices than the BC and that may help you choose between them. We've stayed at both and loved them both, but they really are very different.

Hope this helps!:)

I would go with Beach Club, since you guys love the beach... this is the perfect choice for beach lovers. I'm sure your kids will love the sand bottom and kiddie slide. If you were to stay on the monorail, I would choose Poly. Great beaches and great atmosphere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter