• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where should we go on Christmas Day?

What should we do on Christmas Day?

• Disneyland

• Disney's California Adventure

• Universal Studios Hollywood

• Sea World

• Legoland

• San Diego Zoo

• San Diego Safari Park

• Something Else

Results are only viewable after voting.

minnemom

Earning My Ears
We had planned our big trip to visit southern California in February, but now I'm looking at going during Christmas break instead, as we can spend more time in the area without the kids missing as much school. My plan is to visit DLR prior to December 22 when the crowds are estimated to be lower, and then spend several days at other attractions in LA and San Diego. This will include finding something fun to do on Christmas.

When we've traveled to other parts of the country at this time of year, most attractions were closed on Christmas, but it appears that this is not the case in California.

So, what would you recommend visiting on Christmas Day? Legoland, Universal, Sea World, SD Zoo, Safari Park? Something else?

My primary goal for this trip would be to visit each park on less-busy days; I'm from the wide-open spaces and I don't always do well with crowds. Are all of the parks going to be crazy-busy between Christmas and New Year's, or do we have a chance at some being manageable?

I am also planning to drive out to Joshua Tree and see some historic sites and presidential museums which hopefully will not be as busy as the parks.

Any and all advice is appreciated (even if it is "stick with your February plan if you don't like crowds"). ;) Thanks for your help.

Tough question. I'd say DL to finish on a high note.

The Safari Park would probably be best crowd wise.

After opening presents in the morning many families will get out of the house to do family activities on Christmas afternoon, evening. The Safari Park is most remote and probably at the least risk of big crowds showing up.

If it were me and I had a choice I would easily pick February. It's a trade off as crowds will be much smaller, but park hours shorter and more attractions in rehab, also no holiday decorations. I just like going to places when it's less crowded more than anything else.

Honestly, I LOVE disneyland on Christmas day. I was born on Christmas eve and have gone several times on my birthday. With that being said, it's not my favorite. The crowds do get insane and I just don't enjoy it as much with so many people there. (And it's no longer about ME! :rotfl2:)
Anyway, there is another theme park up the street from Disneyland call Knott's Berry Farm. It's also beatiful on Christmas Day. FAR less crowds. And the food is superb. You can't beat Mrs. Knott's Kitchen for Christmas dinner (any dinner is good there, though.)
Just my 2 cents.

Disneyland is too crowded to enjoy for us on Christmas day.

We've loved SeaWorld on Christmas day. The night Christmas themed shows are very well done. The Shamu Christmas night show is amazing and very well themed around the Christmas spirit. Very different than any other Shamu show you'll see. The Choir singing during parts of the show really added to our overall experience.

Crowds at Seaworld are generally not a problem because its mostly shows. We grab some snacks and go a bit early, grab a seat and wait for the show. Typically we arrive for shows 20-30 mins early. The exception is for the sea lion shows because they do a very funny pre-show that starts 15 minutes prior to main show. So arrive for that show 30-45 mins prior to posted show time.

Even on very busy days the lines for Journey to Atlantis are 5-20 mins except mid afternoon when it can be longer. Shipwreck rapids has VERY long lines on busy days. Either ride it early AM or after dark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter