Where is the scale?

vavalynn2

<font color=teal>Live in the Golden Snowball regio
I will be cruising in week 11 of 12 week weight loss program. I know, timing is terrible.

Where can I weigh myself on the fantasy? I will allow myself to indulge to some degree and will continue to work out but I would like to weigh myself to keep myself in check.

On the Magic and Wonder, there is a scale in the locker room in the spa.

Without going into the physics. it is not accurate to weigh yourself on a moving ship. You can get seriously wide swings over or under your correct "on land" weight. It is more accurate to weigh when the ship is docked, but there is always some movement which will affect accuracy.

Well, I had no idea about how weight differed on a moving boat.

So will it be worth it to check in with the scale when we are in port?

Well, I had no idea about how weight differed on a moving boat.

So will it be worth it to check in with the scale when we are in port?

Well, you could weigh yourself the first day (before the ship leaves). It would give you a baseline to gauge yourself on.

That sounds like a good idea. THANK YOU!

Thanks so much for the information. I'm only in week one of twelve and know I have a long way to go. But at least for the end I will be on a Disney cruise!

A few years ago, I was in a similar situation...like week 7 or so. I found that I ate BETTER on the ships at the buffets because I could always get fresh fruit or salads. I also always take the stairs on the ship (only exception is formal night in my heels). Even if its 8 floors up, I just pace myself, and up the stairs I go. Those little things make me feel less guilty about the desserts. (I almost always get the "trio" dessert and only eat a bite of each and finish my favorite).
You can walk the 5K on Castaway Cay if you don't run, and still get the bib for participating and a certificate. It's a lovely way to start the CC day, and then you are warm enough to want to take a quick swim.
My next cruise, I want to remember to wear my pedometer everywhere, I'd love to know how far I actually walk each day...I bet its WAY more than at home!
Good luck with your weight loss!

There is a scale in the women's locker room in the spa. It is open to everyone. It is one of the scales with the slider bar. Good Luck and Congratulations!!

There is a scale in the women's locker room in the spa. It is open to everyone. It is one of the scales with the slider bar.

I would imagine that the slider bar scales (more properly called a "balance") would be more or less immune from the effects of the ship's motion, as they are comparing your mass with that of the weights on the slider bar. Even as the ship moves up and down, your mass relative to the slider bar weights remains the same.

However, a typical bathroom scale isn't measuring your mass, but your weight (that is, it isn't measuring the amount of "stuff" in your body, but the force of gravity on your body). As the ship moves up and down, it adds to or subtracts from the force of gravity, which would cause the scale's readings to vary. The average reading on a scale over a few seconds should still be accurate.

A few years ago, I was in a similar situation...like week 7 or so. I found that I ate BETTER on the ships at the buffets because I could always get fresh fruit or salads. I also always take the stairs on the ship (only exception is formal night in my heels). Even if its 8 floors up, I just pace myself, and up the stairs I go. Those little things make me feel less guilty about the desserts. (I almost always get the "trio" dessert and only eat a bite of each and finish my favorite).
You can walk the 5K on Castaway Cay if you don't run, and still get the bib for participating and a certificate. It's a lovely way to start the CC day, and then you are warm enough to want to take a quick swim.
My next cruise, I want to remember to wear my pedometer everywhere, I'd love to know how far I actually walk each day...I bet its WAY more than at home!
Good luck with your weight loss!

I am in the middle of a weight loss journey and will be continuing during the cruise. I will have to remember my pedometer (I usually use one that connects to my phone and will not be an option on the cruise). I also planned to use the stairs for everything so I can have some dessert!

I weighed myself everyday after my workout in the fitness center and there were no wild swings : ) Congrats on your weight loss!:goodvibes

I am in the middle of a weight loss journey and will be continuing during the cruise. I will have to remember my pedometer (I usually use one that connects to my phone and will not be an option on the cruise). I also planned to use the stairs for everything so I can have some dessert!

You should still be able to use with your iPhone as the pedometer likely uses bluetooth to communicate (not wifi), so that should still work on-board. Good luck!

Update: I am now lost over 10 lbs and inches here and there and my cruise is 3 weeks away. Through the program at the gym I know plenty of things to do to make me sweat

Thank you all for your suggestions and posts. One suggested a pedometer, so that will work correctly even though the ship is moving? I'm still not sure I understand how the movement effects different things.

I saw on another thread someone ordered berries and fresh cream each night for dessert, I love berries and will look forward to doing that.

I also saw fresh made salads in the quick serve area.

At first I though this cruise was likely going to be a death sentence but reading through your tips in this thread and others it now seems great.

THANK YOU! :)

A good pedometer will still work. The cheapy ones might not. If you can afford it, I love my Fitbit. They are $100 though. I count calories and just enter what I eat on my phone app. the Fitbit let's me know how many calories I have left to eat for the day to still lose weight. For example, if I sit on the couch all day, I can only eat around 800 calories or less to lose. But if I put in a good 20,000 steps or 10 miles of walking (my busier days) at the parks, I could eat like 3,000 calories and still lose. It's been great for me because I've been ale to still have nice restaurant meals at Disney or McDonalds or whatever and still lose. I just know I have to work it off. Lazy days = rabbit food, lol. I still eat what k want and lose weight. I just plan it better.

On the ship I don't plan to log calories and plan to eat like a pig. :D But I do plan to eat fruits and veggies since I like them. I probably won't go crazy on the fatty stuff because then it'll just make me sick. And I plan to take the stairs and walk everywhere. Might do the 5k too. I can't run though, I'm a walker so I'm not sure if the I could do the 5k or if I would be a straggler???? I don't wanna be the last one in because I walked. Do a lot of people walk or does everyone run?

As a side note for me....I'm now wondering if I'm going to get to enjoy any food on the cruise. The doc just started me on Topomax for Migaines this week. So far no change on my headaches but I have to build up to the dose over a month. If it works, I will stay on it and if not, I'll go off. But for eating...holy crap! Everything tastes wierd and I'm not hungry AT ALL. I'm gonna stay on it for the weight loss side effect regardless lol. I still have 40 more pounds to go. It makes soda taste completely disgusting! It would be nice if it would actually stop my headaches. But it's going to tick me off if I can't eat cruise food, lol. Hmm....headaches or food? :D

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

On our first couple of cruises, I put on weight though lost it relatively quickly afterwards. Since then, we go to the gym most days and just think a little bit about what we eat. I rarely now eat dessert sometimes because I'm just too full from everything else. Lots of salads, fruit, and dinner options which can be lower fat or calories. I still have my champagne and mojitos but between being selective and exercising I now never gain anything while I'm on board. Never lose anything either but I'm not trying to. I do beleve that, if you want to lose while on board, it's perfectly possible to feel full, happy and treat yourself without feeling like you're sacrificing all of the lovely foods on board.

The doc just started me on Topomax for Migaines this week.

Hopefully you don't have the same experience with the Topomax that my wife had. She gained a lot of weight and had a lot of memory issues.

As far as weight gain on the cruise goes, we have found that by taking the stairs everywhere and just taking it easy on the snacking, we can maintain weight fairly easily. I am also on a weight loss journey that will be continuing on our Panama Canal cruise this May so will be using the fitness center on the ship for the first time. Actually looking forward to it. In 8 cruises, we have never even set foot in there before.

Hopefully you don't have the same experience with the Topomax that my wife had. She gained a lot of weight and had a lot of memory issues.

Weight loss is actually common with Topomax. I had really fast unsafe weight loss and couldnt stay on it long enough to see if it worked. I have heard about memory loss quite often.
Congrats OP that is wonderful. Hope its a great trip.

Random story but, two years ago I was prescribed Topomax for my migraines and it actually seemed to be working until I woke up one Saturday and my vision was so blurry I couldn't see more then a foot in front of me. For someone that doesn't have any vision problems at all, I was terrified. Thankfully it wasn't permanent and once I stopped taking the Topomax my vision improved within a few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter