• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where is love?

Deb in IA

Knows that KIDS are better
OK, this is a trip down memory lane.

How many of you remember the movie "Oliver!" - the great Lionel Bart musical adaptation of the Charles Dickens novel "Oliver Twist"?

I do.

I clearly remember going to the theater to see this movie with my parents. That was in 1968! Hard to believe that was 37 years ago!! Won the Academy Award for Best Picture that year.

What GREAT songs . . . "Where is Love?", "Consider Yourself", "Who Will Buy?", and my personal favorite, "As Long As He Needs Me" - makes me tear up.

DD Jennifer just finished reading Oliver Twist in her 8th grade literature class, and we were in the library looking for tapes to rent. I saw this one, and since we LOVE musicals, we have been watching it ever since. (Jennifer also likes to point out the 'changes' that were made to the plot, but I stressed to her that the musical was ADAPTED from the story!).

I also remembered how absolutely adorable Mark Lester was, and Jack Wild was just too cute!!! I have to admit that I secretly had a crush on him when he was in "H.R. Puffenstuff" . . . :blush:

Makes me wonder what ever happened to them. Also, Shani Wallis as Nancy, and Ron Moody as Fagin . . . they were great too, but where are they now ? :confused3

And Oliver Reed, RIP, was terrifying as Bill Sikes -- one of the baddest villians of all . . .

Ah, memories . . . and tunes I can't get out of my head . . .

This was my absolute favorite musical! I even had a crush on Bill Sykes! He is my favorite bad guy. You're right...Mark and Lester were just too cute! Now I want to see it again!!

And I loved Bulldog!

Where is love?
Does it fall from skies above?
Is it underneath the willow tree
That I've been dreaming of?
Where is she
Who I close my eyes to see?
Will I ever know the sweet "hello"
That's meant for only me?

Who can say where she may hide?
Must I travel far and wide?
'Til I am beside the someone who
I can mean something to.
Where,
Where is love?

As long as he needs me -
Oh, yes, he does need me -
In spite of what you see,
I'm sure that he needs me.

Who else would love him still
When they've been used so ill?
He knows I always will
As long as he needs me.

I miss him so much
When he is gone,
But when he's near me
I don't let on

The way I feel inside,
The love I've got to hide.
The hell! I've got my pride
As long as he needs me.

He doesn't say the things he should.
He acts the way he thinks he should.
But all the same, I'll play
This game his way.

As long as he needs me,
I know where I must be;
I'll cling on steadfastly
As long as he needs me.

As long as life is long,
I'll love him right or wrong,
And somehow, I'll be strong
As long as he needs me.

If you've been lonely
Then you will know
When someone needs you,
You love them so.

I won't betray his trust
Though people say I must.
I've got to stay true just
As long as he needs me.

Hi Deb
Thanks for all the wonderful memories. I absolutely loved the movie and all the music. I had such a crush on Mark Lester !!!

Lila

I heard that Mark Lester is a chiropractor now. Unfortunately, Jack Wild had surgery last summer for throat cancer and is now unable to speak. He is still performing in pantomines though. He was my favorite too, he went through some rough times and I'm hoping he's doing well now.

Hmmmm....I remember Leonard Nimoy had an album in the late 1960's and he sang "Where Is Love" on it. I thought he wrote it....I did not know it was from "Oliver"! I do remember "Consider Yourself" and Mark Lester and Jack Wild. How old would they be now??? :confused3

Our community theater did Oliver! when I was in high school. I sang "Where is Love" for my audition.

I ended up a barmaid in the "Oom-pa-pa" song and a milk maid in the "Who will buy" scene.

Any mi--ilk today, mistress?

Laurie :)

tevagirl: Bullseye was great!

airhead: Thanks for the lyrics!! Aren't they WONDERFUL songs?

phantom: Very interesting!!! I always wondered if that was really Mark Lester singing in that really high voice . . .

PDXMULAN: Yes, they are great memories, aren't they? Is that your son in your signature? I LOVE the Mandarin outfit!!

gobledygook: How sad about Jack Wild. I hadn't heard that. I know he had some problems with alcoholism, but that he seemed to overcoming his problems. Kind of poignant, when you see how cute and innocent he was back in that movie . . .

laurie: I wondered what the milkmaids were singing!! Now I know!

I'm glad this thread was about the musical, because the first thing that popped into my head after reading the title was the song from Oliver. :)

I'm 25, & I remember singing "Where is love" & "Consider yourself" when I was in 6th or 7th grade, in music class. :goodvibes

LOL! All of those songs are in my head & around my house right now. My dd's middle school is doing Oliver for their spring musical in 2 weeks! DD is playing Nancy. We're are very proud & excited for her.

Thanks Deb. Oliver is also a favorite of mine! Played in the pit for it in a college production. What great memories!

Wow! What a brain jarring post.

I loved "Oliver." Our high school did a production of it when I was in junior high. Two of my all-time favorite musical theater songs are "Where is Love" and "As Long as He Needs Me."

:goodvibes

rascalmom said:
LOL! All of those songs are in my head & around my house right now. My dd's middle school is doing Oliver for their spring musical in 2 weeks! DD is playing Nancy. We're are very proud & excited for her.

Wow, how exciting for your DD!!!! Now, rascalmom, how will you be able to listen to her sing "As Long As He Needs Me" without crying? I don't think I can . . . :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter