• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Where has all of the magic gone? Our November 2015 Trip

Glad you made the Frozen show, we were on line for it this August but my kids were having a meltdown and we left without seeing the show. Hope to make it this August. I had no idea the Honey I shrunk the Kids playground was closing! (Wow it looked PACKED in your pic!) But with star wars stuff coming I guess that makes sense. Wish had gone one last time, I have pictures there when my kids were so little. Sorry to see it go. Can't wait to read more about your adventure.

Ha, I prefer the cowboy scenario, too! We got it once in Nov. and the gangster one once. Then last week DH and I lucked out and got the cowboy one, and had 2 of the best CM's I think we ever had on the ride!

Funny that you posted a picture of the dragon carpet in GMR. I noticed this also for the first time last week and took a picture, too.

We've only seen the Frozen sing-a-long once but we had the guy you had this time and I agree, he was hysterical :rotfl:

I love the cowboy scene but my reputation was definitely ruined after telling my in-laws that we would get different movie sets! lol....that is how I understood it at least!

I have finally been able to bring your report up!! Love reading about everything so far. :D

Thanks for reading along! I'm glad it finally worked for you!

Glad you made the Frozen show, we were on line for it this August but my kids were having a meltdown and we left without seeing the show. Hope to make it this August. I had no idea the Honey I shrunk the Kids playground was closing! (Wow it looked PACKED in your pic!) But with star wars stuff coming I guess that makes sense. Wish had gone one last time, I have pictures there when my kids were so little. Sorry to see it go. Can't wait to read more about your adventure.

The Frozen show is definitely a favorite of ours! The playground was so packed at that time! I'm glad that we made time to play because my youngest LOVES it and now that it will be gone before our next trip, he would not have been happy if he never had a "last chance".

Sorry for my absence! I have been swamped lately!!

OH my goodness, that quarter incident is too funny. I had no idea the kid in question was your son. I think the craziest part of the story is that the lady was freaking out. Over a quarter. Don't get me wrong, I keep up with my money like a hawk, but I don't think I'd ever start yelling at a kid if he grabbed my quarter off the ground. :confused3:rotfl2:

I'm the same way with TSMM. Always try to beat DH and always lose at the very end. The alien ring toss is my downfall... But you came really close this time around!

The playground looked packed! I can't imagine there was much room for the kids to run around and enjoy themselves.

The Frozen sing along is a lot of fun. And new actors had to have made it fresh. Added a new element of entertainment to the show. I'm glad it was so funny for ya'll since the waits weren't the best experiences. :rotfl:

Joining in! Your food snap shot from Cosmic Rays (on day 1) is making my tummy rumble... YUM!! HOLY COW -- those parks sure look packed. We're hoping to see the Frozen Sing-Along on our trip next month -- looks like lots of fun :)

Joining in! Holy crowds! We were there in second week when they were crowded but not that crowded!

Poor kiddo! I can't believe a woman would scream like that over a quarter. Good luck breaking the news about the playground and Star Wars weekends. I was bummed about the loss of SWW too.

And I love POFQ! Hands down, my favorite resort!

OH my goodness, that quarter incident is too funny. I had no idea the kid in question was your son. I think the craziest part of the story is that the lady was freaking out. Over a quarter. Don't get me wrong, I keep up with my money like a hawk, but I don't think I'd ever start yelling at a kid if he grabbed my quarter off the ground. :confused3:rotfl2:

Yep, my poor sweet boy who works really hard in school and does loads of volunteer work on the side.....stealing a quarter.....times are tough ya know?!?! lol.......

I'm the same way with TSMM. Always try to beat DH and always lose at the very end. The alien ring toss is my downfall... But you came really close this time around!

I almost beat him! Next time, I'm hoping, I will win!

The playground looked packed! I can't imagine there was much room for the kids to run around and enjoy themselves.

It was totally packed!! My youngest would not hear of skipping it though so we endured for him! Besides we needed to waste some time before dinner.

The Frozen sing along is a lot of fun. And new actors had to have made it fresh. Added a new element of entertainment to the show. I'm glad it was so funny for ya'll since the waits weren't the best experiences. :rotfl:

Yes! We love that show but DH said this week that maybe we should get a fastpass for it in the summer to avoid all that craziness!!

Following along! We were there the week before Thanksgiving ;)

Awesome! That's the week we usually go! Did ya'll see crowds like these? How I miss that week before because this time it was crazy!!

Joining in! Your food snap shot from Cosmic Rays (on day 1) is making my tummy rumble... YUM!! HOLY COW -- those parks sure look packed. We're hoping to see the Frozen Sing-Along on our trip next month -- looks like lots of fun :)

Yum! Cosmic Ray's......now I'm hungry!! Actually I have clients over at Disney right now who keep asking for food recommendations and they are making me hungry as well!! Oh yeah, and since we've been home, I've found a way to recreate Cosmic Ray's green beans. All kinds of yummy!!!

Yes, the parks were INSANE!! We kept telling each other, "Surely these people will go home right?!?!" We just weren't used to those crowds. Definitely the biggest I have ever seen.

Oh I like this report! I keep getting sucked into so many!

Welcome!!! Thanks for joining in! I am finally going to post an update or two (three if I'm lucky) today! I've been so busy that I have just not had time!

Joining in! Holy crowds! We were there in second week when they were crowded but not that crowded!

I love the fall and everything Christmas-y but these crowds were definitely a bit much. They seem to take their toll on everyone!

Poor kiddo! I can't believe a woman would scream like that over a quarter. Good luck breaking the news about the playground and Star Wars weekends. I was bummed about the loss of SWW too.

They still don't know about either one. I'm not fessing up until they ask and that day is going to be a SAD SAD day in our house!

And I love POFQ! Hands down, my favorite resort!

I love POFQ too! It is so small and elegant! I just wish it came on sale more often!

I came across this screen shot of the wait times for the day we were at HS and figured I would share with you guys!

IMG_47841.png

So we finally convinced the kids to leave the playground and we headed off to dinner! On this evening we had reservations at Sci FI, a place we had not eaten at since our very first trip.

So we left this.....

DSCN9573.jpg

and headed down the Streets of America towards our coveted ADR but first, I got distracted (Oh SQUIRREL!!!) with the set-up for the Osborne Lights.

DSCN9576.jpg

I stood here multiple times throughout the trip and watched the "show". Each time I left wiping away tears. To me, this is the hardest part of expansion - saying good-bye. I'm not ready to say good-bye to the lights or the memories.

DSCN9578.jpg

While I stood there in tears, youngest DS found a hidden Mickey in the garland so we took a picture of it.

DSCN9579.jpg

I watched a minute or two longer and DH kindly pulled me away so that we could make it to dinner and so that I was not a blubbering mess. Of course, we would be back out here in a couple of hours so I was okay with leaving.....wait til the last night for the blubbering mess.

Soon we were taking pictures in the car at Sci Fi!

DSCN9581.jpg

While we were standing around waiting in the line to get in the door, I could easily hear the conversation of the couple in front of me and the couple behind me. Both of them were walk-ups with no reservations. The couple in front of me had a menu that they had taken from the hostess stand. They had taken the time to look it over and decided that this was the, THE, place they wanted to eat tonight. Imagine their shock when they got back up to the hostess stand and were told that the restaurant was not taking any walk-ups. I felt so bad for them because honestly, people just show up and don't really know anything!!

The couple behind me was just as sad because they kept telling the hostess that they have done this many times in the past and it worked well each time. They never did understand why they couldn't be seated just like everyone else. Those poor hostesses who deal with this on a daily basis and keep smiling the whole time. It's got to be a hard hard job.

We were seated soon after arriving and for that I was thankful because it was beginning to mist outside.

DSCN9584.jpg

A blurry photo as proof with only one DS. I'm thinking that the other one ran to potty or something. It was not quite as dark as I remembered it. Of course this trip 5 years after the first, we have phone flashlights to see the menus so that helped!

DSCN9586.jpg

I know how much you all missed my blurry photos!!! Oldest DS is back from the bathroom so we had to take a group picture!

Dinner was good. Our oldest wanted salmon but that was not a choice on the menu for adults even though it was a choice for the kids. We asked for him and the waitress offered to have the kitchen create an adult salmon plate just for him. I'm sure it's something that is fairly common but to him, it meant the world. That's the magic of Disney!

Sadly, I don't have any dinner plate pictures but I do have some dessert pictures!!

IMG_47861.jpg

This was DH's dessert! It was a warm baked apple filling with a warm donut on top and ice cream on that! He said it was delicious and tasted like apple pie a la mode.

IMG_47871.jpg

This was mine and oh my goodness was it rich!!! It is the Out of this world Turtle cheesecake. Whew, I could not finish it. It was good but I will probably try the apples next time.

IMG_47881.jpg

Both of my DS's got the "candy bar". Our youngest SHOULD have ordered off of the kid's menu but our waitress offered to get him a candy bar just like his brother's and he was excited. (He really impressed her because he ate all of his salmon just like big brother. Although they always do that at home, the waitress was surprised to see them eating so healthy.) They said that the candy bars were okay but not great.

DSCN9587.jpg

I think DH liked his Warm Glazed Doughnut just a wee little bit.

After dinner, we decided to stop by Little Mermaid before heading to the lights as I wanted to make sure I didn't miss the show!

DSCN9589.jpg

The show was great as always!

And now for the reason we took the trip - to see the lights!!!!!

But first, a selfie -

IMG_47891.jpg

Oldest DS is in that awkward not real sure how he wants to smile stage.

Off to see the lights.....

Our bellies are full and we've seen every show that we want to see so NOW, NOW I can see the lights!

DSCN9590.jpg

Our Ariel was great and we enjoyed the show! Upon leaving, DH says, "I think we have time to see Fantasmic."

:crazy2:

:scared:

o_O

Has he lost his mind?!?!?!? I'm TRYING to get to my precious lights! Instead I answer, "Sure honey, we've got time and off we go......."

Really we had plenty of time because I was planning to spend the whole evening shooting enough photos of the lights to never be able to forget them but I didn't want him to take away all of my precious time (even though I had 3 other nights planned).

DSCN9593.jpg

Since we had so much time we stopped along the way to shop and take pictures, leisurely making our way to the show.

DSCN9595.jpg

Sure looks creepy at night......

Before long, we were seated in the theater and watching Fantasmic. On this trip youngest DS decided that this is his favorite show in all of Disney. (I don't think he's my child.....lol.....)

DSCN9597.jpg

On this particular night the winds were strong and continually sprayed us with water from the "screens".

DSCN9598.jpg

I can't share most of my photos from the show because they all look like this.....

DSCN9601.jpg

Can anyone else relate? lol....

DSCN9611.jpg

DSCN9607.jpg

It was all so nice and then......

DSCN9615.jpg

the bad guys show up and ruin the whole thing. Oh and remember those strong winds that were whipping the water around??

Yeah, they also whip the fires around!!

DSCN9617.jpg

I was only able to catch one but there were quite a few of these little fire twisters spinning around in the pond. I was a bit freaked out by them.

DSCN9619.jpg

DSCN9622.jpg

And soon Mickey was victorious so all of the characters came out to celebrate!!

DSCN9624.jpg

But where are they????

DSCN9628.jpg

Oh there they are!!!

DSCN9631.jpg

With Mickey overcoming his evil dream, we FINALLY head in the direction of the "holy grail" - those lights!!! At this point, NOTHING is going to stop me!

DSCN9637.jpg

First time, I've ever taken a night shot of Rock'n Roller coaster because we are not usually on this end after dark.

As we head back to the lights, the streets are deserted.....

DSCN9641.jpg

DH makes a comment about one last ride on Toy Story but after seeing the killer eyes I shoot him, he decides that we better just head to the lights.

DSCN9642.jpg

"but honey, it's only 40 minutes....."

"Don't EVEN think about it!!!! KEEP WALKING!!!"

Finally my lights are in my sights!!!!

Next Update - My pictures from the Osborne Lights!

This was DH's dessert! It was a warm baked apple filling with a warm donut on top and ice cream on that! He said it was delicious and tasted like apple pie a la mode.

This dessert looks awesome! Right up my alley ::yes:: We haven't eaten at Sci Fi in a couple years and don't think we've ever had dessert there, but it's going on my list!

Finally, I was going to see my lights!!!!!

And without further ado, here they are.....

DSCN9646.jpg

I felt the nativity was in a great place this year! In the past couple of years, it has been located out of the way on a side street but this time it was right by the entrance! I LOVE their nativity!

DSCN9650.jpg

DSCN9651.jpg

DSCN9652.jpg

DSCN9662.jpg

Peace, Love, and Mickey!

I also loved the fish just to the left of this surf board but I never could get a good pic of it.

DSCN9663.jpg

DSCN9664.jpg

DSCN9667.jpg

My youngest LOVES Stitch and he was so excited to see this decoration!

DSCN9669.jpg

We found SOOOO many hidden Mickey's but never could find them all.

DSCN9670.jpg

Look it's the cat!!!!

DSCN9676.jpg

I LOVED this scene!!

DSCN9677.jpg

As we were taking our picture an older couple with a teenager was waiting for us to finish. I offered to take their picture and then they offered to take ours.

DSCN9679.jpg

DSCN9680.jpg

LOVE LOVE LOVE how the pit actually smokes!

DSCN9684.jpg

DSCN9693.jpg

DSCN9695.jpg

DSCN9696.jpg

DSCN9708.jpg

If the stockings had names in years past, I have missed that part. I thought it was so neat that they were named after the Osborne family.

DSCN9710.jpg

DSCN9711.jpg

DSCN9713.jpg

DSCN9714.jpg

DSCN9716.jpg

DSCN9712.jpg

DSCN9721.jpg

DSCN9727.jpg

DSCN9728.jpg

Thank you Mr. Osborne for having the vision to create such a wonderful holiday memory. Thank you, Disney, for keeping them up year after year so that millions of people could enjoy them. Thank you lastly to the Imagineers who were always adding new and unique elements to them. Our family will miss them tremendously and Disney at Christmas time will never be the same.

Loving all the pictures. :love: It's sad to see how much is going away - Norway, the HISTK playground, the Osborne lights - but at least it's exciting to see the parks expand and change. Something new to see every time you go back to the World!

Aww the lights are beautiful. I'm sad I never got to see them.

Yep to that. The lights looked absolutely amazing!

Glad you got some shots of all of you - I feel we never take enough of all 4 of us when we go. Love the pictures of just the boys, some of my favorite pictures of them over the years is the pictures I take at WDW.

My fantasmic pictures always come out crumby too :o

Looking forward to reading more!

I hate when I overhear guests acting surprised that they can't get into a restaurant. No matter how well known the ADR system is, there's always going to be folks who don't have a clue about it.

Sci Fi serves salmon on the kid's menu? That's awesome. I didn't know that. I might've been more willing to go back there if I'd known they did that. My son is a picky eater, and he's just about the only kid on the planet who doesn't like burgers, tacos, etc.

That apple dessert...oh man, that looks tasty. Combines 3 great treats into one delicious looking dish!

Whoa, the fire on the water does look scary.

The Osborne Lights! One of the best holiday attractions around! I'm still in mourning over their retirement. Really glad you were able to see them for their final year.

I'm so late but I'm finally here and all caught up!!
I only got to see the lights one time about 3 years ago and it's so sad that I'll never see them again :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter