• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where else do you go?

beccawes7471

Mouseketeer
Hi there-
We just got back from our latest Disney vacation and I am already thinking of planning the next of course. However, dh says, "Can we do anything besides Disney?" :furious: He is not a huge Disney fan as far as characters, movies, rides, etc. What he is a big fan of is their service, cleanliness, restaraunts, and accomodations. So where, if anywhere else:), does everyone vacation when not going to something Disney related. I am so leary of anywhere else just because of the customer service and cleanliness that we have come to expect. DH is particularly interested in some sort of family beach resort, be it in the US or Mexico/Caribbean, etc. Any ideas? Thanks in advance-Rebecca

Well, this suggestion is still Disney, but I think you may want to try a Disney Cruise. It is NOT all about the characters & movies, most likely you'ld find it to be about the quality of service. Check it out on the cruise dis thread. :thumbsup2

Holly&Joesmommy said:
Well, this suggestion is still Disney, but I think you may want to try a Disney Cruise. It is NOT all about the characters & movies, most likely you'ld find it to be about the quality of service. Check it out on the cruise dis thread. :thumbsup2

Althought I've nere been that was my first thought too.

yes, and doesn't Disney own an Island and when you go on a cruise they stop off there? i've never been on a cruise (too afraid of sea sickness) but i thought that's what i heard. pirate:

I haven't been there yet, but I've heard great things about the Beaches resorts for families. I know they are run by the same group as Sandals resorts and my DH and I went to Sandals for our honeymoon and we LOVED it. I plan to go to Beaches Turks & Caicos sometime in the next 5 years.

Our family has been vacationing at the Atlantis in Paradise Island, Bahamas for the last 3 years. May will be our 4th time there! They spare NO EXPENSE with attention to detail, IMHO. The marine habitats are second to NONE. The pools are immaculate, the restaurants are AMAZING (but expensive!) and there is always something to do there. We absolutely LOVE IT!

DH goes to Disney EVERY YEAR (sometimes there have been MULTIPLE times in a year :bounce: ) and he only goes because he HAS TO!!! And now that we have TWO kids, I use that against him. "We have kids now. We HAVE to go to WDW!!!" HAHA... :rotfl2:

Disney has 2 beach resorts.

Disney's Vero Beach in Florida

Disney's Hilton Head beach in South Carolina.

that say I would get him to try Marriott's Grande Ocean in HH - beautiful resort.

it doesn't have housekeeping - it is a timeshare - but I think if you rent directly from marriott they will provide housekeeping (of course you would pay a fortune....)

on the first two are also timeshares - so no housekeeping if you rent here DVC rental/trade board. but if you rent directly thru Disney you will receive housekeeping (at a much greater price)

well this year we are planning a couple of weekend trips to tennesse, we are going to the Bahamas, new york, disney world (in june) and also to las vegas this year. and we will do a couple of weekend trips here and there to like the beaches and stuff

Thanks for all the responses..I thought I posted a reply yesterday, but don't see it anywhere, so who knows where that ended up :confused3 . Part of our Disney trip this year was a 3 night Disney cruise, and we thought it was okay. Dh and I think maybe we just aren't cruise people. We were really looking forward to the day at Castaway Cay, Disney's island, but do to sea conditions, we were unable to dock. It's funny that someone mentioned Vero and Hilton Head. We are trying to meet some friends this summer in HH and will def stay at the Disney resort if able, it just depends on if dh can get his vacation approved for that time or not. Also, we may try Vero next year, I am thinking of suprising dh with a trip to spring training, GO REDBIRDS!!! Thanks again for all the ideas.-Rebecca

Hi. I'm a travel agent and DH & I love to take our boys anywhere we can along with our annual WDW trip. Some places we love:

Beaches Turks & Caicos- This is the only "Beaches" chain I will recommend- the rest are just "okay"- this one was fabulous. The weather is great, the beach is a little narrow but if you go for a walk it is a bit wider further down. At the end of the beach you can see some great mansions.

The snorkelling was really good we saw a few barracuda and sea turtles. Beaches does free snorkelling trips about 40 minutes long and they are decent here. All you had to do was put your name down the day before to book- no hassle! IF you couldnt wait you could take the snorkles and a short walk down the beach had pretty good snorkelling - Thats where we saw the barracudas. As for children's activities- they have a pirate island, waterslides, special childrens dining, ice cream machines, a games center, and sesame street shows and parades. Everything was clean and staff were just wonderful.

Villa Beach Cottages- St Lucia- On the total other end of the spectrum is Villa Beach Cottages, a 14 room villa on this extremely friendly island. We spent 9 days having nothing but fun and relaxation. The staff make the difference at this establishment because you really get to know them. With only 14 units, you are truly more than just a number to them. I have to point out that this resort is not for the person looking for an all-inclusive experience. It's exactly the opposite - it is meant for a holiday where you set the agenda for yourself and pursue it.

Each room has a full kitchen and good grocery and souvenir shopping are available very close by. It's only a five minute walk, but you must walk along the side of a quite busy road that can be narrow in spots. You must just be very careful. An alternative is to use the on-site mini-mart, but the small size means that they can't match the variety that is up the street. Villa Beach also has excellent security. There is a guard on-site 24 hours a day. As with the Villa Beach day staff, Security staff are extremely friendly.

A few recommendations worth considering for your leisure time:

- Take a two-hour horseback ride on the northeast coast. It includes a portion where you can ride the horse into the ocean to a depth where the horse is swimming with you on its back. Amazing! US$60 per person including transfers to/from the hotel. Villa Beach will arrange the whole trip for you.

- Go to Anse La Raye for Fish Friday. Reasonable prices and great interaction with a very local crowd.

- Have Clara cook supper for you one night. Delicious food and outstanding service.

- Visit Rodney Bay and Pigeon Point. The history is fascinating here. Have a drink and/or lunch at the Captain's Cellar on Pigeon Point. Again, you have to see it to believe it.

Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch - Yucca, Arizona As a family who has traveled around the world, we found this place oustanding in every detail. Just as advertised. A relaxing place, with a beautiful backdrop, far away from hussle and bussle. It looks just like the pictures that hooked us to go. Clean as a whistle and very spacious accomodations with quality furnishings. The "staff" is really one big family. In fact, at times we felt more like family than guests. Riding horses, shooting billiards or shooting the breeze; doing some star gazing after dinner, finding desert toads, lounging poolside or reading a book. There was something for everyone. The only rule was "common courtesy." A perfect, no hassles place!!! These are some of the nicest, hardest working people we have ever met. They made our stay truly memorable. They love their horses, and they care for each one with great love and concern. They had one horse who had contracted cancer (I think) and it would have been easy for them to put the horse down, saying that they could not afford the overhead of feeding and grooming it. Instead, though they could not let anyone ride it and it was useless in breeding, they cared for it as if it were any other horse. I was very, very impressed. Accommodations were very good and the AC was not of the window variety, but central air and quite effective. Beds were comfortable and firm. And the food!!!! All you could eat, and it was absolutely wonderful, a great variety every lunch and expertly prepared and presented.

The only dislike I had here is the road up. Nothing they can do about it, but if you go, be careful and don't get going too fast, because the bumps sneak up on you.

Sorry to be so long winded- hope this gives you some ideas from all areas!

As far as cleanliness, safety, and friendly people, I say Aruba. I've been there about 6 times starting at the age of 17 and my last time was just this past year (I'm 32). If sand and sun are your thing, there is plenty to do for everyone. The people of Aruba are wonderful and friendly.

Please don't let the Natalie Holloway tragedy dissuade you from going to Aruba! Even my 6 year old niece wonders why she didn't use the buddy system. *puts on my flame suit* :firefight

thanks for the reply, I am glad to hear something so positive about Beaches Turks, I was considering looking into there but tripadvisor reports were conflicting, however they are conflicting for Disney's ASM and SSR and we have stayed at both and loved them, so, I guess they should all be taken with a grain of salt. The dude ranch sounds pretty cool too, we visited one in Wisconsin two summers ago that we loved, we may just put Arizona on our list. My husband has mentioned Aruba also, any suggestions on family resorts there?

We seem to average Disney trip every 3-4 yrs. Not as often as I would like but its expensive. So in between trips we have done Sesame Place in PA, Santa's Village and Story Land in NH. This year I think we are going to do things in CT.

Aruba is a great island- beautiful and friendly. Very little rain. My DH & I went "prechildren". We enjoyed ourselves although we found it quite expensive for what we did.

I've yet to find a truly family-friendly resort there. I've sent people to Holiday Inn Sunspree b/c they are supposed to have a great kids program- my customers did NOT like the program there- and their kids refused to go (to put it in perspective same children had no problem three months later staying at the kids club on a Carnival Cruise).

If you were going to do Aruba I'd recommend staying at Aruba Harmony Apartments. It's a condo complex with a super friendly staff & a good location. Nice big apartments & kitchen to cook. Not an all-inclusive but still really good for a family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter