Where does the monoriel stop?

marivigi

Getting a Pluto fix!
Does it really work as a mode of transportation?

How long would it take to ride the whole circuit?

Thanks!

Does it really work as a mode of transportation?

How long would it take to ride the whole circuit?

Thanks!
It only stops inside the park at at Downtown Disney. Not really a mode of transportation as at Walt Disney World.

I'd allow 10-15 minutes for the ride. Not counting wait time in line. Boarding at Downtown Disney, you have to wait in line (if there is one) to "enter" the park, and then again wait to board.

It has 2 starts/stops. One is next to the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney. It is a convenient location for anyone staying at the Disneyland Hotel. The other one is in Tomorrowland in Disneyland. I cannot remember how long it takes, but it is not long. I am thinking less than 10 minutes. I've had really long lines in Tomorrowland when trying to take it back to the hotel area. I tend to not like waiting in lines and will walk back instead, even if it takes longer. I am not sure what time it opens. I don't think you can take it first thing in the morning to gain park access.

Every time I take the monorail it feels like it takes forever. I never use it as a mode of transportation, only if I or someone I am with wants to ride it.

Thank you!

Being used to the one at Walt Disney World I thought it might stop at least at a couple of resorts.

Alas, Disney really doesn't offer any sort of transportation to the Hotels from the parks.

The only transportation that Disney operates at the Resort is the Mickey & Friends Tram, which is on a private roadway that goes under the public roadway (Disneyland Dr.)

Disney hires the ART system to operate the Toy Story Buses (that also sometimes stop at Anaheim GardenWalk and Pumbaa when Disney is parking cars on those lots).

The Monorail is not a true form of transportation, since it is only one loop track. So any breakdown closes the entire system down. So you can find the attraction closed at any time. They try to offer it at opening, but California law requires testing prior to opening, and sometimes things need to be fixed prior to opening to the public. And then, even if it is open, it won't run until after the main gates open, and then it is limited to about 120 people per trip. So the first group, if they are lucky, gets to Tomorrowland around 10 minutes after opening. And then depending if they are running 1 or 2 trains (and that is the current limit to the amount of trains on the track at one time), maybe another 120 every 10 minutes, so not efficient at all.

On the other hand, many off-property Hotels/Motels that are the same distance from the Main Entrance Plaza as the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel offer the option of walking, or using the ART shuttle system (Or for the Candy Cane Inn, their own private shuttle, that is grandfathered into city law in regards to Hotel Shuttles).

But like many other issues, the Disneyland Resort is a lot different than WDW.

Last edited:
If traveling with one or more ECV's or if there is one already inline, the wait can be longer as the Monorail only allows one ECV per trip.

Walking tends to be faster.

But it's a fun "ride".

Not advisable to ride first thing in the morning as they can delay / stop boarding at the last minute.

If it gets too hot out, they will shut it down til the temperatures cool. There is only air conditioning in the front and back.

If you want the front or back others in front of you in line might be requesting that and you can have a delay.

It is convenient and fun when the lines are moving and delays don't occur.

Alas, Disney really doesn't offer any sort of transportation to the Hotels from the parks.

The only transportation that Disney operates at the Resort is the Mickey & Friends Tram, which is on a private roadway that goes under the public roadway (Disneyland Dr.)

Disney hires the ART system to operate the Toy Story Buses (that also sometimes stop at Anaheim GardenWalk and Pumbaa when Disney is parking cars on those lots).

The Monorail is not a true form of transportation, since it is only one loop track. So any breakdown closes the entire system down. So you can find the attraction closed at any time. They try to offer it at opening, but California law requires testing prior to opening, and sometimes things need to be fixed prior to opening to the public. And then, even if it is open, it won't run until after the main gates open, and then it is limited to about 120 people per trip. So the first group, if they are lucky, gets to Tomorrowland around 10 minutes after opening. And then depending if they are running 1 or 2 trains (and that is the current limit to the amount of trains on the track at one time), maybe another 120 every 10 minutes, so not efficient at all.

On the other hand, many off-property Hotels/Motels that are the same distance from the Main Entrance Plaza as the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel offer the option of walking, or using the ART shuttle system (Or for the Candy Cane Inn, their own private shuttle, that is grandfathered into city law in regards to Hotel Shuttles).

But like many other issues, the Disneyland Resort is a lot different than WDW.

Wow

Thanks for the explanation

So definitely not efficient

The monorail started as an attraction at Disneyland, and was expanded to the Disneyland Hotel. Since then, they've removed part of the Disneyland Hotel, leaving just the three towers, and have built Downtown Disney, with ESPN Zone & Rainforest Cafe where Disney Hotel buildings used to be. They didn't redirect the monorail to go to the three hotels directly, and it remains a stop at the west end of Downtown Disney, close to the Disneyland Hotel, and kind of close to the Paradise Pier Hotel. The entrance to the parks really is within walking distance from the hotels, though easier said than done at the end of the day when people are tired and just want to get to their hotels.

Disneyland really has minimal in-park transportation when the DL railroad is down. Use that as your main form of transportation if it's up. Otherwise, prepare for a ton of walking, it was down when we went and it was a VERY long haul, especially since Critter Country was also closed, so we had to backtrack to the hub a few times instead of just going through that land. DCA has almost no transportation aside from the one trolley IIRC, but it doesn't make a circle around the park or anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter