Where do you vacation when you are not going to WDW?

We have been going to Disney every other year and of course we love it. But our other fav is cruising. We usually take a non Disney cruise during the years we do not go to Disney. We also love to take weekend trips to Colonial Williamsburg, the Outer Banks and Hickory, NC. :D

Our favorite place to go other than WDW is Niagara Falls. It's only about 3-4hr. drive from home and we go several weekends a year and also a week in July. We too have been to Canadas Wonderland(excellent park) and Toronto Zoo. I agree with SandraC we get an excellent exchange for our US $$$ and have a great time doing alot for what we spend! I would also like to add the people are the most warm,welcoming and friendly bunch you'd ever want to meet!

DarPa, have you been to Niagara Falls for the opening weekend of the Winter Festival of Lights? It's the third weekend in November each year. On the first Saturday night there is an officially TURN ON THE LIGHTS ceremony, fireworks and an OFFICIAL DISNEY SHOW! It's great!

BTW ~ a Paramount Canada's Wonderland seasons pass is $105 CDN (that's about $65 USF) if bought at PCW. The equal pass in the states, say at, Paramount King's Island is $90 USF or $144 CDN ~ we save $39 CDN ~ that's a nice chuck of cash. The annual parking pass at PCW is $28 (with all taxes CDN), unfortunately the parking pass is not transferable, but the season's pass at the parks is! We are going to PKI to use our season's passes!

It's really worth spending US dollars in Canada these days!

THANKS FOR THE GLOWING REPORT DarPa! Sandra

Hi again! No we have yet to see the Winter Festival of Lights. The latest in the fall we've ever been was mid Oct. but I have heard of it and would LOVE to go sometime! I hope to get back to Paramount Canada's Wonderland when we go back in July as my son,wife and 1yr.old grandson will be joining us also. We definately plan on taking him to Marineland as(in my opinion) it beats our Seaworld hands down! So much more relaxing and laid- back and not the push and shove we have so much here in the states. Our plans are more relaxed and go with the flow in July as it's like our vacation after our WDW vacation to REST!!!! LOL We are leaving tomorrow for WDW May 30-June16th! I can hardly wait! Oh my I better go finish packing! Have a great day!:)

Sanda,

We live a 45-minute drive from King's Island and have family season passes (costs much less than an individual AP at WDW!), but can't call that a vacation. We tend to go to Traverse City, Michigan. You might consider going there sometime (and stop at Mackinac Island along the way). It's very nice in the summer.

I've been meaning to get back to Toronto ever since a 1980 visit, but it just hasn't happened.:(

PS: There are a number of places to stay within a mile of PKI, and numerous chain restaurants in the immediate area.

Does hilton head count if we are staying in the disney resort?
We also ski in the winter, usually in the Poconos.
We try to go to puerto rico or jamaica in the middle of winter also. Nothing beats a hot carribean island when your neighbors are shoveling snow :D
Lake george in the summer and sometimes for a fall foliage weekend.
DH golfs at myrtle beach.
We also do weekends at places like Sesame place or hershey park, the land of make believe.

Can you tell we like to get away?

When we are not vacationing at WDW we have gone to Williamsburg, Virginia most often. We are going again in two weeks. It is only about a three hour drive from home. We like the Colonial Williamsburg area and also Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It is a beautiful theme park. Last September we went down to Orlando and didn't go to WDW. We spent that week doing the non-Disney things there like Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, and Seaworld. We have also gone to the Poconos in Pennsylvania, Atlantic City, New Jersey, Italy, Germany, Austria, and Aruba.

In the next couple of years, besides going back to WDW, we are probably going to either Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head and probably some place out west.

Bart

My favorite non-Disney place to go is Sanibel Island near Ft. Myers, Florida. It's great for beaches, shelling (you quickly learn the Sanibel Stoop), eco-excursions, cruises, dolphin watches, etc.

http://www.sanibel-captiva.org/

we try to do wdw every other year or so...i hate to drive so we usually fly, 1 hour flight vs 9 hour drive.

this year we were able to go to wdw in april, kind of an early vacation. dh and I like the caribbean islands, been to cozumel, bahamas, puerto rico so far - he's a scuba fanatic. this year aside from visiting family in lancaster county pa, we are planning a week plus trip to bonaire while DD (14) is at summer camp in the pa poconos.

with DD, malls are VERY important and key west is decidedly lacking (THANK GOODNESS!) so we usually plan a few long weekends to hit the miami and fort lauderdale malls (we drive and use lots of priceline hotels). of course DH opts out of these weekends!

we are in a top vacation spot already - key west. after work we can go snorkeling or diving or hit the downtown nightlife and it's like we're on vacation too

We usually vacation in Ocean City Maryland every summer. Haven't been to Disney since 1997, so this year was the year for Disney. Next year, back to O.C. and probably to my family's cabin on Lake Ossipee, NH.

I gotta agree with themeparkcommando. DW & I loooooove Branson, MO. Over the last 5 years, we've alternated between WDW & Branson. It's great for families. Silver Dollar City is a blast! If you go, you gotta try the Showboat Branson Belle-dinner & a show on a old style riverboat on Table Rock Lake. And oh, those bathrooms at the Shoji Tabuchi theater!

We are members of the Disney Vacation Club so when we're not at WDW we use our points to go to Disney's Hilton Head Island resort or do the Disney Cruise Line , either the Magic or the Wonder. Sometimes we go on other cruise lines.And of course we visit our children and grandchildren since they are all out -of - town :( . But usually they meet us at WDW :D !!!

We usually go to Surfside Beach, SC, which is just south of Myrtle Beach. We rent a townhouse on the beach and enjoy the surf, sun and sand. :smooth::sunny:

Since we're heading to WDW over Thanksgiving, we've decided to sneak in a quick trip to Niagara Fall, ON, in mid-June. I can't wait!:bounce:

Since our boys are older now, we're going to hit all the long weekend places we've always wanted to visit such as Williamsburg, New York City, etc.

Last spring we headed to Washington, DC, for two days. We're very fortunate to live 45 minutes from Baltimore, 2 hours from Washington, DC, 1/2 an hour from Lancaster County's Amish Country, 45 minutes from Hershey, and 45 minutes from Gettysburg, so we can do quite a few day trips. :wave:

Just got back from vacation in Baltimore--lots of good stuff to do there for kids. We loved Port Discovery--which was designed in conjunction with the Disney Imagineers--we spent the entire day there. Next 2 vacations will be back to Orlando, then to Hilton Head (but it is the Disney resort). I'm trying to come up with other places to vacation, but when you compare them to Disney, they appear sort of pale.

We vacation twice a year, Las Vegas in June (in fact we just got back a few days ago) and WDW in August. This year Vegas was profitable as we came back with over 8,000.00! My hubby hit a nice 200-1 jackpot at a table game, so now our entire WDW trip is paid for! As for me, I hit 150.00 on a slot machine, not quite as good as DH, but its still money I can spend at DT Disney! It was sad to leave Las vegas, it always is, but knowing I still have WDW to look forward to, helps alot!

anithumper.gif

Tuleya Family:
Have a wonderful first time WDW experience! I remember my first time, it sent shivers down my spine when we first drove through the gates that say WDW and have a huge Mickey on them....you will have a fantastic time! WL is great, I haven't stayed there yet, but have visited, and it looks like a great place to stay. Have fun!

Kristin:bounce:

anithumper.gif

Well before these twins came along we went to Arizona (Phoenix, Sedona, and visited family in Tuscon with a side trip to Tombstone) - absolutely beautiful state. I have to say I think I prefer Phoenix at 110 degrees to Florida at 90 degrees - the dry heat is alot easier on my lungs.

The year before that we spend 6 glorious days in Paris, France in early spring (minus my daughter)....by far the best vacation we've ever been on. I'd really like to see more of France esp Provence region.

Absolutely loved out 2 week honeymoon (many many moons ago) in London, and then a tour of England/Scotland/Wales. We are dying to go back there....planning to when the kids are a little older because we want to experience it with them too.

We have also been to Atlantis in Paradise Isl Bahamas - beautiful, San Diego - lots fun to do there, New Orleans - if you love good food and good times, look no further. We've gone to the New Jersey shore spots a few times, Wildwood Crest and Cape May are nice family spots....still haven't gotten to LBI or Ocean City yet but I hear they are also very nice.

And of course....we don't call it a vacation because we go all the time to eat, play, go to museums - to the greatest city on earth, bar none - New York City. If you've never been, I urge you to consider a trip here. It is the most vibrant and alive city you'll ever see!
Still dreaming of Hawaii and hope to do Vegas some day too!

This is a fun thread!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter