Where do you *not* budget?

I'll try almost anything generic ONCE. Then, depending on how we like it, it's either on the list or not. The list in my head, not an actual paper list. :)

Mayonnaise (only Hellmann's), tea bags (only Lipton), potty paper (only Northern or Angel Soft), ice cream (only Breyers or Blue Bell), soda pop (only real Coke and diet Pepsi, diet DP, diet Barq's), ketchup (only Heinz).

I'm the same way with my mayo, I will only eat Hellmans. Funny story, I moved to AZ a few years back. At first I used kraft mayo because they did not sell Hellmans. Even had dad mail me some at one point. They did however have what I thought was a store brand called "Best Foods". I rem the first time I saw it I was like look at the cheap knock off because the jars were similar. Turns out that for some reason out west it is sold under that name. I was so ticked to find out I had been eating Kraft for over a year.

Soda and cat stuff have to name brand both Coke and Pepsi, ours is a house divided. As for feminine stuff i stick with one brand name tampon but on the rare occasions I buy panty liners (getting dressed up) I will use whatever is the cheapest.

Dog food - the brand I buy for my pooches does not really go "on sale", although sometimes the local pet store will sell it at $4 off the regular price [I do not stock up when it is on sale b/c I do not have a place to store 40 lb. bags of kibble].

Coffee - I will only buy brands like Starbucks, Seattle's Best or Peets (whichever one is the best price at the grocery store that particular week). I do not like the taste of Maxwell House or Foldgers at all.

My list is very short.

NOTHING!

I will do generic everything.. and in some cases it's better. Wegman's brand tastes better than most national brands!

I've grown up with nothing-- so it's what you are familiar with.

I am a maple syrup snob.... :worship:

Only 100% Grade A Vermont or Candian Maple syrup for this New England girl.

I use it in alot of my cooking and I will eat pancakes or waffles dry versus eating the "fake stuff"

Peanut butter- only Skippy or Jif
Ketchup only heinz
feminine products
Kraft mac & cheese
TP
and any other item i have tried in generic version and is totally gross then i will buy the real stuff.

DH will only eat real maple syrup -he's from New Hampshire-
(he doesn't get pancakes often)

these lists always make me laugh....what some people 'pay more for'others of us wouldn't buy those items,ever!

.....BUT.......that said....... I buy real crocs! Yes,some of the knockoffs are ok too,but I can always get the real brand as cheap as cheapo store brands,there are many good sales......
if I couldn't get the sales, the kids would wear generic crocs:rotfl:
Ground meats. I won't go into gruesome details here,but I won't ever buy cheap mass produced meats. It's the ONE thing I don't skimp on. Organic,free range is best,at minimum locally small-store made burger,very important to know where it comes from....:rolleyes1

We're not stuck on brands around here,as when we're purchasing premade 'junk' foods, my family will eat Aldi brand just as quickly as the 'name brand!

no....wait.... we're maple syrup people here too. But that's not snobbery,the 'other' stuff is NOT maple syrup at all,so I don't think that counts! FWIW,we'll buy any brand os Maple syrup that's a good price;)

Personal hygiene items - shampoo/conditioner, deodorant (I'm allergic to most brands), soap, face moisturizer, toliet paper, and feminine products. I'll try to always find coupons, but if I need it I need it.

Vet care for the pets. Medical care for us.

Vacations. We save all year for our vacation and aren't going to eat sandwiches in our room or take crockpots to save a buck.

Food wise - I'm only adament about peanut butter being brand specific.

What is one thing you buy where you refuse to cut any corners?

I refuse to pinch pennies on feminine hygiene products. I am brand specific and on this one thing I don't CARE what's on sale!

Me neither, when it comes to absorption, P&G is the best, so only Always and Tampax for me. Whenever there'll be babies, Pampers for them!

Coca-Cola......don't like store brands!!

It must be Coca Cola or Pepsi Cola. Whenever it's orange or lemon soda, I don't mind it being store brand or so. (like the diet orange one from Aldi, but they don't sell it anymore :( )

Crocs! I love the Croc brand and hate the knock-offs!:thumbsup2

If i'm going to wear an ugly shoe, I must be SURE it won't hurt my feet, so only real Crocs for me!

Only expensive-brand bras for my breasts. Wonderbra is the cheapest I'll go, and almost only for at home.

Other items:
- I don't use very expensive hair stuff, but I need the brands I use, nothing else, my hair is difficult enough.
- Only Dove deodorant, it's the only kind that doesn't make me smell bad
- Only Clinique and Lancome for my face, I try to buy Clinique only when on vacation in the US, it's very cheap there.
- Only "good" perfume, the cheap stuff smells bad and leaves stains on clothes.
- No generic medication. It's just not the same.
- Only good/ leather shoes. the time of the synthetic shoes is over for me, too old for that! But paying 200+ euros (300+ usd) for a pair sometimes hurts... :(

That's about it :)

I will not buy most processed foods, even if they are on a huge sale and others are stockpiling it for almost free.

I still drive my SUV.

I will not buy cheap coffee.....PERIOD! That is my one area of splurging and it isn't that much overall since I am the only coffee drinker in my family.

I buy a lot of all natural and organic products, including peanut butter, some produce, and when the family eats meat (I don't eat any.)

I am not cutting cable TV or cable internet. It is budgeted in and we get no channels where we are without cable.

Dawn

I agree....we get the large jug at Costco and it really isn't that expensive as it lasts a long time.

Dawn

no....wait.... we're maple syrup people here too. But that's not snobbery,the 'other' stuff is NOT maple syrup at all,so I don't think that counts! FWIW,we'll buy any brand os Maple syrup that's a good price;)

Childcare, and frankly anything that I feel impacts my childs safety -- such as carseats etc . . .

when I first read the OP's question, I thought to myself, there's nothing I wont' budget on - and then I saw this answer - amen sister! I totally agree - I pay almost $1000 a month in childcare but I know I can breathe easy b/c where they are is safe.

it's funny how you think of more

Scott's tp - not b/c of me but b/c dh won't use anything else.
miracle whip

It's fun to see where people will spend money and where they won't. Here's where I will not buy generic

TP-only Cottenelle (unless very desperate)
Cereal-bought generic for too long
Mac n' cheese- only Kraft will do
Shampoo/conditioner
Dog food-dogs love purina one
pizza rolls-only tostinos
trash bags
tennis shoes
mustard

Vacation.

We scrimp and save all year long so that we can take 2 1/2 week vacations every year, no matter what the price of gas is.

I do refuse by generic BBQ sauce. I buy KC Masterpiece every time. Although, this is new. I decided about 6 months ago, I was worth that extra 70 cents. :)

We still DO go on vacation, but we do go on more budget vacations. I still have 2 getaway weeks paid for and will use them in the next year. At least one for Disney and then maybe one for Williamsburg or the Beach. Couldn't pass up the 2 bedroom condos for $179/week!

But then we have a kitchen, frugally eat out, and go off season to get better deals.

But we will still go!

Dawn

Another one I thought of: Washing powder (or however it is called in English). I don't want the cheap stuff, since I don't want to damage my clothes!!

We buy a lot of generics, but some things are a must to stick to brand names for groceries...many have been named, but to add to the list: Glad Seran Wrap....I'm a walking commercial, but all the other brands get me so frustrated and I end up wasting more!

While I would like to buy organic milk, I just can't do $7 a gallon, so we buy hormone-free milk which is only .30-.60 cents more expensive than regular.
I try to buy meat that is organic as well as much as I can afford it.

While we make sure we get our "get away"/vacation each year, we work hard at cutting other things so we can keep it in our budget and work hard to get the trip in a budget we can manage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter