Where do you go for discount framing?

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
I had a 60 percent off coupon, and the painting I wanted framed was still going to cost over $200 at Jo-Anns! It's an odd size, otherwise I'd use just a stock frame.

It really has me wondering what the markup is on this. It seems outrageous.

We've given up on custom framing and try to make stock frames work. Aaron Brothers had a stock frame package deal where we could choose a mat and they'd put it all together for way less than custom. The proportions weren't perfect (the mat is wider on the top and bottom than the sides) but for the price I was happy with the way it came out.

I worked during my college years for a custom frame shop, and, yes, it was (and is) very expensive. The pictures I have from back then still look fabulous, though, and I'm glad I had it done. If you don't want to pay for custom, then you have to mat your picture up to a standard size, and that can look a little funny, also.

Trends come and go, and expensive pictures/framing for the walls doesn't seem to be quite the thing it once was. I do watch at auctions and estate sales for quality vintage frames, even if the picture is junk, because I know how much value is in the frame itself.

Terri

Framing is expensive but Michael's and JoAnn's are outrageous. Their 60% off is a crock of you know what. It's always that price. Kind of like the "sale" prices on jewelry at department stores; always on sale, always less quality than what a dedicated jeweler would have and generally costs more in the long run. They put those coupons and flyers out to get you in the door, spend a lot of time consulting and beefing up your order and hope you'll cave and just do it rather then go through all that over again somewhere else.

I cross stitched for years and learned to stretch, mat and frame myself. As the PP mentioned there are kits you can put together yourself. I've had two rather large, awkwardly shaped pieces professionally framed by a real framer. It still cost quite a bit but not near as much as it would have a Michael's/JoAnn's. I would suggest looking up frame shops in your area and getting quotes from them.

Check out thrift shops for frames to reuse.

I have yet to find reasonably priced custom frames. The last piece we did was over $300. (not at a chain, but a reputable professional framer)

Check out thrift shops for frames to reuse.

I have yet to find reasonably priced custom frames. The last piece we did was over $300. (not at a chain, but a reputable professional framer)

Yes, I think I will go that route. We shop flea markets and garage sales. Or I could learn how to use the jigsaw at my sister's and make my own frames.

A good frame store will cost amount the same as those chains that offer "discount" framing, but do a much better job.

Local frame store. If it is something flat, you could always get a mat opening cut to fit the painting and a stock size frame. We do that for our daughter's drawings and even at places like Hobby Lobby, they are cheap if you use the stock mat (the kind in stock in big sheets, not the special order corners you flip through) and use a 40% off coupon at checkout.

Sorry, I was skimming and saw this title and thought it said, discount farming LOL. So I had to check it out lol.

My husband does custom framing on the side. He charges enough to cover his supplies, his time, and a profit, and he is far less expensive than Michael's and similar places.

We don't pinch pennies on framing but we have a couple local shops that offer a wide variety of options. We tend to have expensive tastes as we'll pick a frame that turns out to be like $30 a foot and then we have to scale back.

A good frame store will cost amount the same as those chains that offer "discount" framing, but do a much better job.

So true. We had a piece we needed framed and compared the price between Michael's and a local frame shop. Even with the coupon, it was pretty much the same price and the frame shop had a much, much nicer frame.

I custom picture framed for 25 years.
20 years I managed someone else's store and then 5 years I owned my own store.

There's to much to sit and write.
If you have any questions you would like to ask me, I'd be more than happy to help.
Send me a PM of what you want to frame, and I'll help explain some good options :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter